Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With the Cybertruck unveiled where will the Model 3 go in terms of specs.

What do you think will happen to the M3 pricing when the Cybertruck comes out

• Additional features (same price point)

• Decrease in price (minor feature upgrade, nothing game changing)

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks are also forgetting the truck is likely MUCH cheaper to actually manufacture.

Stainless steel, mostly flat, design.

So- no paint shop. Which was a cause of a LOT of cost and woes in the Model 3 ramp.

Also no complex machines to shape body panels with a lot of curves like on the 3/Y either.

Some interesting stuff on the engineering in the truck here-
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

stainless steel in that grade and thickness is $$$. plus air suspension. plus Tesla Glass. plus gigantic battery

• Informative
Reactions: Aellinsar
i don't see how margin wise the cybertruck with the starting price of just $40k makes sense... it's CHEAPER than the Model Y with better specs; it's same price as current base model 3 with better specs ; it's even in the decked out top version cheaper than the X with much better range.

For e.. if i want a spacious family hauler ... why would i go for the Y and even say the X? looks aside...

But it likely will be this for the first 2 years: Cybertruck will get built in AWD only and then $6k extra for "long range battery and premium interior" and we are looking at a ~$55k truck which is a lot more reasonable and should offer decent margins while stomping an F150 Raptor.

i don't see how margin wise the cybertruck with the starting price of just $40k makes sense... it's CHEAPER than the Model Y with better specs; it's same price as current base model 3 with better specs ; it's even in the decked out top version cheaper than the X with much better range.

As I just cited from Motor Trend, the body is a ton cheaper with simply bent steel body panels and no paint shop to worry about compared to the 3/Y.

Plus it's 2 years in the future, when Tesla expects battery costs to be lower as well... and just the basic motor and other shared parts will ALSO be cheaper due to economies of scale.

Interesting question...

I imagine that at some future point, as the Truck paves the way for the folded metal look acceptance, that a smaller single cab version will be released.

Also that their might be a market for a folded metal car as well. This would be a more utilitarian offering, at significantly lower price than the Model 3. Maybe an off road targeted market or for places without a good road infrastructure. 3rd world acceptance might enable more World Wide distribution. Significantly reduce the price of going electric.

Could be a whole new market for Tesla.

I just don't see people buying ca
Yup, Elon already mentioned a smaller version makes sense long-term... but Tesla has a lot of future-product irons in the fire right now so that's certainly a while off.

I would be all about a midsize pickup. I think most people on here don't realize how big and cumbersome a full-size is to drive. Imagine a midsize truck and a real midsize suv. Not a crossover station wagon.

I hope I am wrong .... but the more I see and think about the cybertruck, I only see a very limited market for the vehicle. Perhaps EM should not have called it a "truck." Maybe "Cybercraft? Cybercruiser? He should have launched the Cybertruck into space .... then he could have called it a Celestialship.

It will be popular with the Tesla enthusiast that can afford a one purpose vehicle, but I cannot envision it being very practical as a work truck, or even a pleasure (RV) hauler. (A Lance camper will certainly not fit in the bed). I cannot help but think about Howard Hughes seaplane. He built it; it flew once. What was the accomplishment? other than he proved it could be done.

The roadster seems like a much more sensible endeavor to invest multi-millions of development cost into. True, it is a one purpose built vehicle too, but looks, performance, handling, top-down driving are all complementary attributes of the roadster.

Like I said .... I hope I am proven wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It will be popular with the Tesla enthusiast that can afford a one purpose vehicle, but I cannot envision it being very practical as a work truck, or even a pleasure (RV) hauler. (A Lance camper will certainly not fit in the bed).

You are missing the under-appreciated and under-served market of "look at me" mall crawler / kiddie pickup mobile.
Basically, everyone who ever shopped for a Hummer or a Disco, will be in the market for a Cyber#$uck.

Hummer brand alone used to move 50-70K units/year, until '08 hit.
No-one needed one, but plenty to wanted to be seen in it.
Cyber#$uck might pickup that role (pun intended).

HA! i just had the best idea ever. How long before we see someone polish theirs?

Just go to the end of this video. 5min mark. I am calling it cybertruck stealth upgrade. Why? Because it will just reflect whatever is around it and be camouflaged. People will likely crash into you.

I think the Cybertruck will appeal to some but it misses the mark in bed capacity while still being huge. I was hoping for a replacement for my Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, but this thing is 8” wider and 40+” longer....that won’t work on trails and it’s bigger than I want for a daily driver. The Rubicon is certainly not a high quality product, though it’s highly trail ready. The new Jeep Rubicon with a diesel is also expensive - $60,000 loaded up.... Stated another way, Tesla could have been hugely competitive in this space. Tesla has a huge market opportunity for something more midsize and trail worthy...and not sensitive to mediocre bed capacity. Come on Tesla....I love my M3, but the Cybertruck has too many limitations, (not to mention it’s excessively polarizing looks.).

Reactions: afadeev
I think the Cybertruck will appeal to some but it misses the mark in bed capacity while still being huge. I was hoping for a replacement for my Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, but this thing is 8” wider and 40+” longer....that won’t work on trails and it’s bigger than I want for a daily driver.

The bed is 2 feet longer than the one Rivian is selling on an EV that costs 20-30k more... and the overall length is right in the middle of the range of Ford F-150 models.

I don't think off-road jeeps was even remotely what this is intended to compete against though- it's intentionally and explicitly a full sized truck.

According to Kelley Blue Book's latest figures, the average transaction price of a 2018 Ford F-150 is $47,174 (this doesn't include taxes, etc)

So 39k for the Tesla is in fact about 8 less than the average F-150 sells for across all trims.

This is what I've been saying all along. Also interesting that tech reviewers are the ones telling us about this truck but what do they really know about trucks? What do they compare it to?