Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With the influx of model 3 i see SC stations over run!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
Took a short trip around colorado this weekend and noticed that boulder and park medows charging stations were packed with model 3. Dont these owners charge at home overnight????? I watched a few and they went to the mall and legt their car charging. I cant imagine that most of them are so low they cant get around for a day?? And if its not free why hookup? We charge every day and never need to stop to charge at a supercharger when we go to the mall.
I wonder if alot of model 3 people dont have home chargers( apt living)? Its strange and really congests the SC's here in colorado at many spots. Maybe its range anxiety??? I mean thinking" i should plug in if i am here and get another 10 miles or 20 miles?" I dont know and i know its a free country but if you have enought to get around town and you charge at home why/?

Took a short trip around colorado this weekend and noticed that boulder and park medows charging stations were packed with model 3. Dont these owners charge at home overnight????? I watched a few and they went to the mall and legt their car charging. I cant imagine that most of them are so low they cant get around for a day?? And if its not free why hookup? We charge every day and never need to stop to charge at a supercharger when we go to the mall.
I wonder if alot of model 3 people dont have home chargers( apt living)? Its strange and really congests the SC's here in colorado at many spots. Maybe its range anxiety??? I mean thinking" i should plug in if i am here and get another 10 miles or 20 miles?" I dont know and i know its a free country but if you have enought to get around town and you charge at home why/?

It's not like it's free for them. They have to pay for it and if they leave them more than a few minutes after charging finishes, they pay a $1 / min.

even $1 a minute can add up over a month if you do this alot. I just wonder the need to supercharge when you are at the mall.Its weird.

Seems like you’re deducing that because people are leaving their cars and going to the mall, they’re there to shop and not to charge.

Who’s to say that’s true? If I need to stop at a charger at a mall and know I’m going to be there for 30-60 minutes, I’m quite likely to go into the mall to take a leak, get a snack, walk around, whatever, vs. sit in my car.

At any rate, at this point there are close to 10x as many Model 3s on the road in the US as model S/X. More cars = more charger usage, mall or not. This is kinda expected.

True i dont know what everyones situation is. I just wonder how many really need to charge when they visit the mall? Or do they just do it cause its there? My point is this charging station is empty untill the mall opens and then is full all day and then noone there after mall closes. It sucks for people who really need to charge up cause they are on a trip.

I charge at home and if i locally drive around for the day dont need to charge till I get home later- even if i make a run to boulder and back. If i go to the mall at all i dont just plug in cause i can.

Maybe some cars park there without pushing the charge connector all the way in to look like they're charging, but not really, so they have a convenient parking spot and won't incur idle fees.

Do everyone a favour at unattended cars at SC and make sure the plugs are fully inserted.

And if they are, give that button a push and release it again to interrupt charging, which sends a little reminder to their app. Plus it will light up the charge ring again, so you can see if its solid green (done charging) or blinking green (still charging).

Report back your findings.

Maybe some cars park there without pushing the charge connector all the way in to look like they're charging, but not really, so they have a convenient parking spot and won't incur idle fees.

Do everyone a favour at unattended cars at SC and make sure the plugs are fully inserted.

And if they are, give that button a push and release it again to interrupt charging, which sends a little reminder to their app. Plus it will light up the charge ring again, so you can see if its solid green (done charging) or blinking green (still charging).

Report back your findings.
who would leave the car not seeing it charging 1st?

Model 3's are in and out so fast, you won't know how many came while your S was doing its thing and you shopped the mall.

We just took the 3 on road trip... what a nice difference waiting 25 minutes at a stop instead of an hour.

Recently while we were charging our Model X, it was entertaining to watch a new 3 owner move between charging stations trying to find one that was charging at full speed, unaware what the "A/B" labels meant on the chargers...

If they've labeled the pedestals correctly, then...

1A and 1B are electrically joined to charger #1, which can deliver only so much divided between these two cars.

1A and 2A are not joined, they are sourced from different chargers so each car gets full dose.

Generally, you pull up to an unpaired / unshared spot as a courtesy if there's a choice. Otherwise, you try to mentally predict who has been there the longest or who will finish next and pair up to them.

There are not 10x as many Model 3's in the US as S/X. Since there are at least 100k S/X in the US, that would be 1M model 3's in the US which is clearly not true.

Now as to exact difference... I am guessing 150k SX and 250k Model 3's - without researching it more.
That being said, my last 10 SC's have been vast majority model 3's. On the road - I would say 75% model 3s. So model 3's are driving more miles?

There are not 10x as many Model 3's in the US as S/X. Since there are at least 100k S/X in the US, that would be 1M model 3's in the US which is clearly not true.

Now as to exact difference... I am guessing 150k SX and 250k Model 3's - without researching it more.
That being said, my last 10 SC's have been vast majority model 3's. On the road - I would say 75% model 3s. So model 3's are driving more miles?
Or more people buying 3's dont have home chargers?

I believe that the ownership base of model S/X is skewed towards people who are generally financially well-off and own homes where installing a charger is relatively easy. Model 3 opened ownership of good electric cars to a much wider economic base of individuals who may not have a home where charger installation is easy. Rental housing is particularly difficult, condominiums less so if each unit has a dedicated parking space close to the unit. Apartment condominiums are complicated because they require cooperation from the condominium board and other unit owners. Some condominium management companies may not understand the requirements of electric vehicle charging and prefer to avoid dealing with it. Over time, increasing EV ownership will force solutions to these problems. In the meantime, all this adds up to more Model 3s charging routinely at Superchargers.

My wife and I like finding Superchargers at a shopping malls when we are travelling. Good washrooms and a choice of food outlets in most cases. Shopping opportunities to fill the time until the car is charged. The possible downside is finding the supercharger is an 'urban' version with 72 kW maximum output. If we are not in a hurry then no problem just more time to eat and shop.