Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With the new refresh on model 3s and new ranges. Will older models get a range increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I haven't charged the car past 90% (and never will) and if I had, I have a feeling the total charge would still be the same.

You don’t have to. Extrapolation is ok for that number. Just let us know the % and miles (you just said it went from 317 to 328). Not the set point %, just briefly switch to Energy display then swap back and report those two numbers (miles, %), at 78%, 80%, or whatever. Doesn’t have to be at 90%, just a fairly high SoC.

And if you could get a picture of the Energy Consumption screen capturing all three numbers (displayed battery range, Projected Range, and Average Recent Efficiency), at the same time, that would be key. No driving required.

Or anyone with a post-June 2020 can do the same.

This is the way we can determine whether capacity has increased before the EPA documents are released. Circumstantially based on your report, it could be a 3% capacity increase. But we need to know if the range increase is connected with a constant change (probably is not). That is what the picture will show.

It’s really hard on a given trip to compare efficiency. There are so many variables. Really have to track long term averages. But that stuff is not needed here anyway.

You don’t have to. Extrapolation is ok for that number. Just let us know the % and miles (you just said it went from 317 to 328). Not the set point %, just briefly switch to Energy display then swap back and report those two numbers (miles, %), at 78%, 80%, or whatever. Doesn’t have to be at 90%, just a fairly high SoC.

And if you could get a picture of the Energy Consumption screen capturing all three numbers (displayed battery range, Projected Range, and Average Recent Efficiency), at the same time, that would be key. No driving required.

This is the way we can determine whether capacity has increased before the EPA documents are released. Circumstantially based on your report, it could be a 3% capacity increase. But we need to know if the range increase is connected with a constant change (probably is not). That is what the picture will show.

It’s really hard on a given trip to compare efficiency. There are so many variables. Really have to track long term averages. But that stuff is not needed here anyway.

PXL_20201023_040358376.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Thanks!
Have to have that third number (in rated miles!!!). If it is still 256 as you said earlier (the exact number matters for this - really have to have the confirmation), then your constant for your 2020 is now:

269Wh/mi*224mi / 256rmi = 235Wh/rmi

This is lower than the 241Wh/rmi you would expect for a 2020 Model 3 LR AWD 18”.

But we do need confirmation of that new rated miles number (instead of the percentage)!

If it is 256 and not 250: This would mean no battery capacity increase. It would imply an efficiency increase but it’s weird because they have rarely done this (changed the constant).

Last edited:
Salesman told me my 2020 M3P will receive software range increase commensurate
with 2021 M3P, FWIW.

Have you taken delivery? Unless you have a heat pump, you’re not going to see the 253 rated mile range. It’s possible you’ll get some improvement. I wonder what they changed?

I guess people should check their rear motor plate number again! That poor thread never got unlocked I think. Maybe they went to the 980 motor or something. Or maybe there is a new number!

Well, the latest software update (2020.40.8) contains this release note: Your car's range has increased with new software that improves the efficiency of the motors and the climate control system.
It's for the new Y admittedly but still, it seems range enhancements are coming as software. I just don't know if that applies to any other model.
Didn’t apply to mine. Max charge range went from 293 (2020.40.4) to 290 (2020.40.8). :shrug:

Thanks!
Have to have that third number (in rated miles!!!). If it is still 256 as you said earlier (the exact number matters for this - really have to have the confirmation), then your constant for your 2020 is now:

269Wh/mi*224mi / 256rmi = 235Wh/rmi

This is lower than the 241Wh/rmi you would expect for a 2020 Model 3 LR AWD 18”.

But we do need confirmation of that new rated miles number (instead of the percentage)!

If it is 256 and not 250: This would mean no battery capacity increase. It would imply an efficiency increase but it’s weird because they have rarely done this (changed the constant).

I see what you're getting at! Okay. I'll take another pic later tonight.

Also, do have the 19" wheels. Not sure exactly how much of a difference this makes, but I do know that tire size impacts range.

I see what you're getting at! Okay. I'll take another pic later tonight.

Also, do have the 19" wheels. Not sure exactly how much of a difference this makes, but I do know that tire size impacts range.

Thanks. That’s a little strange. I guess we just need to wait and see what that rated miles number is. You can take one picture exactly like before (with %) and then another one switching Display -> Energy Display -> “Distance” (showing miles). That way we can see both numbers in quick succession.

At 78%, with 19” wheels, I guess I expect you will report about 235-237 rated miles.

Last edited:
Thanks. That’s a little strange. I guess we just need to wait and see what that rated miles number is. You can take one picture exactly like before (with %) and then another one switching Display -> Energy Display -> “Distance” (showing miles). That way we can see both numbers in quick succession.

At 78%, with 19” wheels, I guess I expect you will report about 235-237 rated miles.
PXL_20201023_143353518.jpg

• Informative

Interesting. Thanks! Unfortunately not *quite* definitive - one more thing...

This works out to ~323 rated miles. With a constant of 241Wh/rmi.

I know you have 19” wheels, but if you switch to the avatar of your car, what does it look like? Or if you go to the wheel selection interface, what does it say you have selected?

I ask because this 322 rated miles/241Wh/rmi roughly aligns with the prior display expected with 18” wheels.

We’d expect 304 with a constant of ~255Wh/rmi with 19” wheels selected. So if you do have 19” selected that would be interesting.

If the car avatar shows 19”, then that would imply an efficiency change of 5-6%. But we will see.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks! Unfortunately not *quite* definitive - one more thing...

This works out to ~323 rated miles. With a constant of 241Wh/rmi.

I know you have 19” wheels, but if you switch to the avatar of your car, what does it look like? Or if you go to the wheel selection interface, what does it say you have selected?

I ask because this 322 rated miles/241Wh/rmi roughly aligns with the prior display expected with 18” wheels.

We’d expect 304 with a constant of ~255Wh/rmi with 19” wheels selected. So if you do have 19” selected that would be interesting.

If the car avatar shows 19”, then that would imply an efficiency change of 5-6%. But we will see.

It had the right wheels since delivery. Even before 2020.40.x I was showing almost 250mi at 78%. I guess this would explain why ABRP has consistently been underestimating range. On my old MS, it was pretty spot on.

• Informative

Very Interesting. Seems like a substantial range increase. *With a change in the constant.*

If you were to change to 18” wheels, your range at 100% would likely be about 340 rated miles! At 78%, ~266 rated miles!

Does NOT seem to imply a capacity increase:

323rmi*241Wh/rmi = 77.8kWh (normal is 77.6kWh when new)

So, 5-6% efficiency improvement, no battery capacity increase.

Just to confirm:
2020 model on the B pillar?
Definitely no heat pump, right?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Very Interesting. Seems like a substantial range increase. *With a change in the constant.*

If you were to change to 18” wheels, your range at 100% would likely be about 340 rated miles! At 78%, ~266 rated miles!

323rmi*240Wh/rmi = 77.5kWh (normal is 77.6kWh when new)

Just to confirm:
PXL_20201023_150409081_2.jpg

• Helpful

323rmi*240Wh/rmi = 77.5kWh (normal is 77.6kWh when new)

Just to confirm:

Position 10 on the VIN is "L" so 2020