Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With touchscreen freezing, why would I buy FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, same here.

I really bet it's a bug in the Factory software.
Once our cars are updated to 2021, I'm sure the bug will go away.

I also think that maybe Tesla doesn't allow software updates if the car has a service appointment scheduled.
So........................ "Nothing's wrong with your car" they said. "Maybe just a bug"

They couldn't replicate the problem. The guy said they checked all the cables, but nothing was wrong. Some new cars have that problems but it goes away after?! If the problem still persists, then do a bug report and call TSLA mobile service?!?!?!

@MY_Boy_Blue how was your service

So........................ "Nothing's wrong with your car" they said. "Maybe just a bug"

They couldn't replicate the problem. The guy said they checked all the cables, but nothing was wrong. Some new cars have that problems but it goes away after?! If the problem still persists, then do a bug report and call TSLA mobile service?!?!?!

Honestly not surprised.
So far my experience with Tesla service has been god awful.
I had an appointment for March 25th, and now my app says: "You have an unread message from your service team."If click that button it now shows: "April 2nd" and if I try to load the appointment it hangs forever.

IMG_103D8EC85568-1.jpeg
IMG_E82AB6D0AAE7-1.jpeg

I took a video of the flashing and showed it to him. They replaced the screen on Monday, then I get a call that afternoon saying that the screen flashed when they were doing QA checks so they were going to replace the computer the next day. That next day they realize it’s a faulty cable... a “very special” cable they have to order directly from Fremont and it’ll take 1-2 weeks.

I’ve seen several others post the same thing. Must be a bad batch of cables.

Reactions: cris97
Yup, same here.

I really bet it's a bug in the Factory software.
Once our cars are updated to 2021, I'm sure the bug will go away.

I also think that maybe Tesla doesn't allow software updates if the car has a service appointment scheduled.

I heard they only update new cars on Fridays. I picked up my car on Tuesday, put in a service request and got the latest update that night.
I posted elsewhere but they isolated it to a bad cable.

Last edited:
I took a video of the flashing and showed it to him. They replaced the screen on Monday, then I get a call that afternoon saying that the screen flashed when they were doing QA checks so they were going to replace the computer the next day. That next day they realize it’s a faulty cable... a “very special” cable they have to order directly from Fremont and it’ll take 1-2 weeks.

I’ve seen several others post the same thing. Must be a bad batch of cables.
This is the cable on question.

CABLE, IP, CENTER DISPLAY
Part #: 1091280-00-D

If it's a hardware issue then why does rebooting the computer fix it?

Without going into too much technical detail... when a cable is bad, it can cause all kinds of errors depending on whether it has an internal short, poor connection, etc. Lots of ways it could be damaged as well. If rebooting fixes the issue, it may be as simple as your computer detected the fault enough times to protect itself from the issue or the screen, which is pretty dumb, just could not make sense of the signal coming to it and it's tiny computer is either confused or protecting itself. There are several folks with similar issues. In my case they replaced both the screen and the computer with no resolution. They then tested the cable and found it out of spec.

My SA actually called me after they replaced the screen and said that he notices one, very slight flash of the screen when doing final QA on the car and sent it back into service. He said he wanted to ensure it was 100% before giving it back. Of all the horror stories of Tesla Service, I've has a great experience so far. I'll let you know if it's fixed when I get it back.

Without going into too much technical detail... when a cable is bad, it can cause all kinds of errors depending on whether it has an internal short, poor connection, etc. Lots of ways it could be damaged as well. If rebooting fixes the issue, it may be as simple as your computer detected the fault enough times to protect itself from the issue or the screen, which is pretty dumb, just could not make sense of the signal coming to it and it's tiny computer is either confused or protecting itself. There are several folks with similar issues. In my case they replaced both the screen and the computer with no resolution. They then tested the cable and found it out of spec.

My SA actually called me after they replaced the screen and said that he notices one, very slight flash of the screen when doing final QA on the car and sent it back into service. He said he wanted to ensure it was 100% before giving it back. Of all the horror stories of Tesla Service, I've has a great experience so far. I'll let you know if it's fixed when I get it back.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
My touchscreen is driving me nuts!

I have a service appointment but it's for other cosmetic issues from the factory. I don't want to give the service center too many things to work on since they might skip over stuff.

So I'm waiting on the solution you and cris arrive to so I know how to proceed. :)

Thanks for keeping us updated.
My touchscreen is driving me nuts!

I have a service appointment but it's for other cosmetic issues from the factory. I don't want to give the service center too many things to work on since they might skip over stuff.

So I'm waiting on the solution you and cris arrive to so I know how to proceed. :)
Got it back this past Monday good as new. I took it on a road trip and had zero screen issues the whole time.

I wouldn’t worry about overloading them, just call your SA and have them double check everything. My guy was freaking great and triple checked everything at my request.

Got it back this past Monday good as new. I took it on a road trip and had zero screen issues the whole time.

I wouldn’t worry about overloading them, just call your SA and have them double check everything. My guy was freaking great and triple checked everything at my request.
My issues randomly slopped occurring for the last 3 days, and I'm on the exact same software.
I dropped my car off for service yesterday evening to get a bunch of work done on it. (My windshield cracked and needs to be replaced).
I won't have it back for about 7 days.

I didn't even bother bringing up the Touchscreen issue since I didn't want to add one further issue for them to deal with.
I'll setup a followup appointment for just the touchscreen if it keeps occurring.

Add me to the touchscreen freeze club. It took about 9 reboots before the touchscreen would last beyond the first 15 seconds of restart. It happened while the car was parked and 12 hours later when driving. The car icon and the “awareness” stuff like traffic disappeared. Oddly the map still updated my position as I drove. FYI my build date is 3/12/21.

My screen froze on the first day (3/22/2021) while I was doing the delivery inspection. The screen was unresponsive on touch commands, but all the other functions/animations were working on the screen. The SA was helping another guess, and by the time he made it back to me the screen was working again. I chopped it up to software bugs, since the software wasn't the most current one.

Excited, I drove the Model Y home and updated the software to the most updated version. Later that night, the screen froze again with the animations working. This time, the screen would also occasionally flicker. I scheduled a service and the Tesla mobile app said a mobile service would be available on 3/31.

3/31, Tesla mobile service came out and only installed my Homelink. The tech said I would have to schedule through the app another service at the service center :rolleyes:, I schedule another service at the Pomona S/C, the earliest they have is an appointment on 4/6. In the mean time, I find other issues cosmetic issues; a small palm dent in the frunk above the Tesla emblem, water stains by the passenger side A pillar, and wind/rattle noise in the cabin.

Shortly after scheduling the new appointment, I get a message through the app asking date/time of when the screen freezes. Good thing I recorded a video of it with my phone, or Tesla might not have believed me. The issue is so intermittent and hard to replicate. The screen also had been working for 3 days after the service advisor messaged me through the app.

4/5, I'm running errands and the screen becomes unresponsive again. I'm able to record the flicker and abruptly my screen shuts off. This is a day before I'm suppose to drop it to service. I'm glad I have a recent occurrence so I can show the service advisor it is still a problem.

4/6, dropped the car off at Pomona service center. Everyone is friendly, and I run through the list of issues I have with the car. They use sticky tabs on the car to mark every cosmetic issue I have with the car. They also put me in a Model S as a loaner :oops:.

Here is a video of my screen. I don't know if it's the same issue everyone else is having. I hope it's a simple cable replacement issue; I just installed my SPIGEN screen protector and don't want to buy a new one if they replace the whole screen!