Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With touchscreen freezing, why would I buy FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped my car off at the service center on April 2nd to fix a bunch of quality issues with my car.
I was suppose to pick the car up tomorrow but shot them a message about the screen flickering issue.

Looks like they are indeed now ordering the "E" version of the cable.

I'm expecting to get my car back probably sometime in 2022. :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.14.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.14.38 PM.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 100
I dropped my car off at the service center on April 2nd to fix a bunch of quality issues with my car.
I was suppose to pick the car up tomorrow but shot them a message about the screen flickering issue.

Looks like they are indeed now ordering the "E" version of the cable.

I'm expecting to get my car back probably sometime in 2022. :D
Fremont Service called on Monday and pushed my appointment to next week to order the cable. They sent me a similar email like yours. Part "E" also. I got the new update 2 days ago and the screen has been working ok. No unresponsive, only flickering sometimes. But seeing the other post's video, I guess it just hasn't happened yet.

I’m having a similar issue since taking delivery of my Model Y 2 weeks ago with screen flashing black and have had to re-boot (scroll wheels and break pedal) one time so far when the screen went completely dead in order to bring it back. Also freezes up when reviewing DashCam clips. Not sure if all these issues are related but my service center representative believes the “Coax Cable” needs to be replaced. This is the part that has been ordered. This will be the second time I have brought it into service for the same issue. The first time they said the coax cable was “creased” and they fed it correctly which they said should have fixed the problem but whatever they did made it worse as the screen was flashing like crazy on the way home from the service center (obviously they didn’t bother checking it). Did another system re-boot and it helped but still flashes intermittently. Problem seems to get worse over time until another reboot is done. Hopefully when they replace the cable it will take care of the issue. Sadly, given past experience, my confidence in Tesla Service is low...

Attachments

• 8B909E89-FEEF-4F3F-894B-3D017185A668.png
    8B909E89-FEEF-4F3F-894B-3D017185A668.png
    467.3 KB · Views: 79
I’m having a similar issue since taking delivery of my Model Y 2 weeks ago with screen flashing black and have had to re-boot (scroll wheels and break pedal) one time so far when the screen went completely dead in order to bring it back. Also freezes up when reviewing DashCam clips. Not sure if all these issues are related but my service center representative believes the “Coax Cable” needs to be replaced. This is the part that has been ordered. This will be the second time I have brought it into service for the same issue. The first time they said the coax cable was “creased” and they fed it correctly which they said should have fixed the problem but whatever they did made it worse as the screen was flashing like crazy on the way home from the service center (obviously they didn’t bother checking it). Did another system re-boot and it helped but still flashes intermittently. Problem seems to get worse over time until another reboot is done. Hopefully when they replace the cable it will take care of the issue. Sadly, given past experience, my confidence in Tesla Service is low...
From your picture, looks like the Service Center is ordering Rev. D and not the newest Rev. E of the cable for you.

Reactions: oatman
Update
Got my car back from the Fremont Delivery Center, in about a week they:
  • Replaced my Windshield (Rock cracked the glass while driving)
  • Realigned my door windows, they were letting water in
  • Reseated my trunk, it had a bad alignment problem
  • Removed tape from the glass roof
  • Fixed a scratch on the turn stalk
  • Fixed an issue where one of my doors had to be slammed shut to close it.
  • And they installed the "E" revision cable and fixed the touch screen! The work order states: "Correction: Coaxial Cable - Electrical Harness"
This Fremont delivery center (service center) did a FANTASTIC job, they were super responsive and very helpful.

I do have one complaint though, they introduced a rattle in my car when I drive; which is very annoying.
Going to have to setup another service appointment to get that addressed.
However... trading 7 issues for 1 is worth it!

Reactions: naszero and Grob103
From your picture, looks like the Service Center is ordering Rev. D and not the newest Rev. E of the cable for you.
Thanks for pointing that out. I passed this along to my service representative and they replied as follows:

"...we have order the most up to date part for your vehicles glitching screen concern. If something is different, I will let you know".

I guess I'll have to wait and see if Rev D or Rev E is installed in my vehicle an if it resolves the issue. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks

Thanks for pointing that out. I passed this along to my service representative and they replied as follows:

"...we have order the most up to date part for your vehicles glitching screen concern. If something is different, I will let you know".

I guess I'll have to wait and see if Rev D or Rev E is installed in my vehicle an if it resolves the issue. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks
Push back on them.
Tell them that you know other people who got revision "E" of the cable in their 2021 Model Ys.

It's possible the "D" version of the cable you get won't have the problem, since there were plenty of Teslas coming off the assembly line without this touchscreen issue. However, obviously Tesla felt the need to change the cable and create an "E" version for a reason.

--
Another idea: You have a 4-year warranty, perhaps you can see if the "D" version fixes your issue. You'll have 4 years to find out. :)

Reactions: Grob103
Update
Got my car back from the Fremont Delivery Center, in about a week they:
  • Replaced my Windshield (Rock cracked the glass while driving)
  • Realigned my door windows, they were letting water in
  • Reseated my trunk, it had a bad alignment problem
  • Removed tape from the glass roof
  • Fixed a scratch on the turn stalk
  • Fixed an issue where one of my doors had to be slammed shut to close it.
  • And they installed the "E" revision cable and fixed the touch screen! The work order states: "Correction: Coaxial Cable - Electrical Harness"
This Fremont delivery center (service center) did a FANTASTIC job, they were super responsive and very helpful.

I do have one complaint though, they introduced a rattle in my car when I drive; which is very annoying.
Going to have to setup another service appointment to get that addressed.
However... trading 7 issues for 1 is worth it!
How much did they charge you for the windshield?

Push back on them.
Tell them that you know other people who got revision "E" of the cable in their 2021 Model Ys.

It's possible the "D" version of the cable you get won't have the problem, since there were plenty of Teslas coming off the assembly line without this touchscreen issue. However, obviously Tesla felt the need to change the cable and create an "E" version for a reason.

--
Another idea: You have a 4-year warranty, perhaps you can see if the "D" version fixes your issue. You'll have 4 years to find out. :)
Burbank Service Center replaced the Coax on April 19th (assuming with the "Rev. D" version which was the part ordered according to my account) and it seems to have corrected the problem. The issue I was having in the past with the screen flickering seemed to also get worse over time and could be mitigated with a full reset which would help but it would just start to get worse again as time went on until it started flickered constantly and/or went black completely with the only way to get it back on was by a hard reset. It's been a week since the service appointment and so far the flickering has not come back. I'll keep you all posted if the issue should come back. Here is what the service rep. told me they did.

"....your vehicle is complete now and it is ready for pick up. We replaced that coaxial part, updated firmware..."

Burbank Service Center replaced the Coax on April 19th (assuming with the "Rev. D" version which was the part ordered according to my account) and it seems to have corrected the problem. The issue I was having in the past with the screen flickering seemed to also get worse over time and could be mitigated with a full reset which would help but it would just start to get worse again as time went on until it started flickered constantly and/or went black completely with the only way to get it back on was by a hard reset. It's been a week since the service appointment and so far the flickering has not come back. I'll keep you all posted if the issue should come back. Here is what the service rep. told me they did.

"....your vehicle is complete now and it is ready for pick up. We replaced that coaxial part, updated firmware..."
They replaced mine with revision E. Screen has been responsive and no flickering for almost two weeks.

Have not had the screen freeze.
I'll try FSD when-
1. Autopilot works flawlessly. I still experience sudden phantom slowdowns on the freeway for no apparent reason. Fortunately nobody was behind me.
2. Autosteer works. Tried it a few times, not ready for prime time.
3. I don't get camera warnings for no apparent reason. Seems to be related to glare from the sun.
4. Sold as monthly subscription.

$429 - Labor
$830 - Parts
Total: $1,259.00
Out the door my card was charged $1,335.78 including tax.

I have a $100 deductible with AAA, and since I get 2% back on my credit card, the replacement is really only costing me $73.28.
Isnt that a little much for a windshield replacement? Last windshield I got replaced was for a Jeep wrangler and it was $400 out the door. I guess that is part of the Tesla tax 😅