TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

without a Tesla ... what to do?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by thegruf, May 5, 2019.

1. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

all down to Tesla recent manic pricing moves

sold mine and looking to replace but ...

buying a new MS is a concern just now as there are a number of key updates to Model S imminent particularly the interior refresh, although with a factory order you would get the new suspension and other minor improvements.

looked at the Model 3 - actually very nice but didnt like the comparative lack of side support on the seats and lack of hatchback means compromised flexibility.

buying used MS - prices seem mad at the moment given the revised prices for new and have to come down by probably 20% for 90K cars tapering to 5K less for 60K cars, in other words significant depreciation to come on used cars, avoiding which would be the main reason for me to buy used.

what to do?

2. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

I'm at that point to. I am expecting refresh (probably a roller-coaster of multiple refreshes, price changes, inducements .. :) ) later in the year including CCS charging and bigger battery; and some cabin changes which I may like, or not.

iPace? Skip that if you need Rapid Charging often enough ... or put up with it until Ionity gets rolled out - seems OK across EU already, just treacle-rate in UK for some reason.

People speak very highly of its handling, 95% of my journeys are motorway, and I prefer "stop in half the distance you can see" rather than the "Chuck it round a blind bend and hope no tractor overtaking a bicycle" of my Youth

But I suspect you've considered all that already ... I'll be interested in how your thought process evolves.

3. WannabeOwner

P.S. $20,000 off Performance stuff for previous owner ... although by my calculation that translated into about £8,000 only ...

Presumably that will go before CCS/etc. arrive ... but it might?? give you a good 2nd price at the end

4. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

lost me there?

5. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

iPace - not for me, but looked at autotrader and there's 36 of them for sale already - not exactly confidence inspiring

6. WannabeOwner

7. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

interesting but haven't seen any reference to that in the UK.
    ..and probably wouldn't be applicable as I no longer have a ModelS

8. WannabeOwner

I did wonder about that ... but I suspect they would be amendable to stretching the offer if you just missed out - selling yours without knowing the offer was coming. They've been accommodating like that in the past.

No good unless you want a P100DL though ...

9. azred

azred Active Member

Buy British! Jaguars look great on flatbed trucks heading for repairs.

• Funny x 2
  10. 12Pack

12Pack ..

Well, Model 3 not an option if you need the hatchback and the space. My wife’s iPace was a terrible choice - no charging anywhere but home. Go for an S/X and console yourself that the depreciation will not be as bad as for the iPace.

• Like x 1
  11. vitesse

vitesse Member

One thing about Teslas I really like is that I hardly ever see them. I walk a lot and see Bimmers, Mercs, Porsches and Lexi all the time, even Bentleys. Jags are very common. The iPace is not a pretty car in my view either.

A Model X whispered past me today, the first Tesla I've seen in over a week.

12. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

funny you should say that - the only time I have ever owned a car that needed a flat bed was my Tesla.
    mind you that was because it had a flat (destroyed) tyre and Tesla very decently took it home at no charge!

13. Midnight Star

Midnight Star Member

If you are not in a rush to replace, I would expect a lot more used model S to become available (and the prices to reduce) once the model 3 starts getting delivered in the UK

14. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

^ indeed - and definitely one of my lines of thought, especially as in the UK the MS is probably larger than many are used to, so some will downsize with the Model 3 available.

15. WannabeOwner

Had an Email just now - I expect everyone did, but I very, very, rarely get any [Tesla] marketing emails ... no idea why this time,.

Anyway it is clearly UK (from UK Communications) and specifically says "As an existing owner you will receive a free ludicrous mode upgrade, if you purchase a new model S / X performance car"

When I last looked at that [i.e. adding Ludicrous] it was nothing like the $20,000 sticker price that I read in the press ...

It ends with" Share your referral link" so just send me your Email address and then I'll do just that :p