Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Without autopilot, I'm surprised German car sales haven't fallen even more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP is the number one reason I plan to buy a Tesla Model S. I may be the perfect candidate with a 100 mile roundtrip commute, all on freeway. It would change my life, and it already has for my friends who are in similar positions. I would consider other manufacturers if they offered an ICE that had anywhere near the performance of AP. But they don't.

I always think autopilot is overhyped here. AP is not in my top 5 things I love about my Tesla. Might not even crack the top 10 for me. Since 95% of my driving is daily commuting on roads that are 35-45 miles per hour I am not the ideal test case for the awesomeness of AP, but I assume I am not some crazy outlier either.
Many feel the same way you do. I am not one of them :)
I love AP. I don't really use it for my everyday driving, don't need it. But for my upstate jaunts 2-3 times a month it is just awesome!
I have tested it on mountain roads, highway, 2 lanes etc...parkways and anywhere else and for the most part it works as advertised.
The stop/Go traffic reduces stress and on the interstate, it's just cool.
I like my new tech toys and AP was a big reason for my purchase.
IF used correctly, there is nothing to fear from AP

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
Hey, get off my lawn!
I'm 68 (and somewhat of a tech nerd) so I don't think it's just age.
I never even considered buying any of the other luxury sedans. I thought it was ridiculous to spend that much money on any car. However, Tesla was a compelling value since it's the first practical electric car... good for the environment, beautiful car, incredible performance.
I do see people with those other luxury cars and think, What a waste, you could have had a Tesla.

I totally agree! I'm 58. I had never really seriously considered buying a luxury car. I have always been about performance. Lunatic that I am. Then, when I realized that an MS was within my sights, I test drove one. That is all that it took. I have been a tech fiend since I was a kid. Lived it. Worked it for years. My sister said to me when the computer revolution started: "if the couch has a processor in it, you'd buy it". Yup. That's me. I, too, am wild about the environment. So that simply added to my passion.

A green hippie technophile performance junkie. Go figure.

Please do not be ageist. I am 71. Some time back I recall the average age of non-intro-level Ferrari buyers was 64. I'll wager S-class and 7-series are similar. The distributions, as I recall, tend to be tri-model. One cohort is >65, the largest one, another is <40 and are professionals, the third is 50-65 also professional. I recall that motivations and habits differed considerably. Tesla has an entirely unprecedented category, exemplified best by a recent clip in a news magazine stating that more than 60% of silicon valley senior execs have Teslas. Zero question, the nerds among us, regardless of age, politics or anything else, gravitate towards nerdy products. What is more nerdy than a Tesla?

So sorry to sound ageist!!!

That is not what I meant at all. It's just my observation from those of my age and older that I have talked about the car and AP. I'm 58. Perhaps I should have referenced boring drivers. But that might be bad too.

You are probably right. FWIW I just turned 39 (sob). I am also something of a tech nerd and have been dreaming of self-driving cars since I was a child. My 34 y/o gf doesn't want to drive anything but a Tesla with autopilot now and hates her Hyundai SUV. But prior to getting the Tesla she saw no need for autopilot and in the first couple weeks of the Tesla she preferred to drive by hand. Fast forward 6 months and she uses autopilot almost 100% of the time on freeways - and complains that she keeps trying to turn autopilot on subconsciously in her Hyundai.

Even my 71 y/o mother has grown to love autopilot but would never have based a purchase decision on it 6 months ago.

For a lot of people this must be a feature they think they don't need/want until and unless someone else in their life buys an autopilot Tesla and they get to use it enough that they come to love it.

Oh you poor old man! I'm 58 and still kickin'. So you are A-OK. Truthfully, it just keeps getting better because not I simply don't get as freaked out as I did when younger. Every year just seems to get better!

And I agree. When AP was first announced, I thought it sounded a bit lame. I mean, I like driving my car! But now, I am in love with it and use at every opportunity. It is something that we need to experience to to truly appreciate. It is amazing at how it has reduced stress in my life. And I don't even deal with traffic anymore! After 15 yrs in LA traffic-nothing can compare.

The benefit of getting older. I can now afford to live in a cool place! AKA heaven.