Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Without WiFi, difficulty receiving software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park in an underground garage at home and work (when I was commuting) and haven't found anywhere to secure a stable WiFi connection. I asked Tesla to push my initial software update over LTE on 5/27/20, and this was successfully downloaded and installed; however, they mentioned WiFi is needed to download firmware updates. How can I do this?

I am currently running Version 2020.12.11.1
Thank you.

I park in an underground garage at home and work (when I was commuting) and haven't found anywhere to secure a stable WiFi connection. I asked Tesla to push my initial software update over LTE on 5/27/20, and this was successfully downloaded and installed; however, they mentioned WiFi is needed to download firmware updates. How can I do this?

I am currently running Version 2020.12.11.1
Thank you.

using a hotspot in the car when you are notified of updates is one way people do that. The car will tell you when it has an update for you, and you can connect to a hotspot like your phone, then download.

Tesla will not push every update to you over LTE though.

i cannot access my wifi at my parking spot in the garage where i live, BUT i can get cell service so i keep a hotspot in the car plugged up and running 24/7 and that works and has been working for months.
using a hotspot in the car when you are notified of updates is one way people do that. The car will tell you when it has an update for you, and you can connect to a hotspot like your phone, then download.

Tesla will not push every update to you over LTE though.

Thank you both. I updated my cell phone plan to include mobile hotspot and will try with my iPhone tomorrow. I'm curious, can I drive or charge while conducting the software update?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Thank you both. I updated my cell phone plan to include mobile hotspot and will try with my iPhone tomorrow. I'm curious, can I drive or charge while conducting the software update?

Teslas notice when you trigger the software update says no, you cant. You wouldnt want to, anyway... at least if you think about it for a bit you will likely come to the realization that you wouldnt want to.

You can certainly park somewhere and sit there in the car if you wanted to, though... just not move the car anywhere while its updating.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Teslas notice when you trigger the software update says no, you cant. You wouldnt want to, anyway... at least if you think about it for a bit you will likely come to the realization that you wouldnt want to.

You can certainly park somewhere and sit there in the car if you wanted to, though... just not move the car anywhere while its updating.

I re read your question again OP.. you cant drive, but you certainly can have the car plugged in, and charging, when you both download and trigger the update. The car will stop charging while it updates, and then resume charging after it completes.

My statement above was strictly about "driving" while its performing the update. Also as noted by @dasn you can connect your car to the wifi hotspot to download the update, and that download can happen while driving. you cant apply it while driving, but the car will download it (so it is ready for you when you are parked and ready to kick it off).

Charging is no issue.. at least at home charging. I dont have a clue what happens if you are supercharging and kick off an update, but I would guess its the same "pause pulling electricity while updating, then resume after update finishes" workflow. Would make you sit there longer, for sure.

lol why even try to drive whilst applying the update? just get it and then add it when you get home or to your destination? are we that anxious and in a hurry to apply an update we can't wait until we get to our final destination?
Sometimes unexpected things happen. Imagine having only one car and starting the update. What if something unexpected happened which required you to immediately leave the house. Fortunately, the car can be driven even if an update is in process.

Reactions: Janus