Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WIW (Whats it Worth) - 2013 S40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a previous owner looking to get another Model S I have been looking around. As usual prices are all over and some dealers don't know what they have, good or bad. So I figured I would make a options list and basic car info in a semi-concise format so others could do the same if they wanted. This way the community can chime in on what they would feel comfortable paying or what they feel it's realistically worth.

Year: 2013
Miles: 20,500
Model: Model S
Battery Size: 40kWh
Color: Black
Interior: Black Leather
Trim: Unknown but Wood

AutoPilot: NO
AutoPilot Enabled: NO
PanoRoof: Yes
Parking Sensors: NO
Rear Facing Seats: NO
Supercharging: NO
Tech Package: NO
Twinchargers: NO
Wheels: 19in Sliver

After the federal tax rebate, the base price of the 40 kWh was $50,000. I do not remember if that included delivery charge, but it was advertised as less than $50,000.00. Of course options raised the price. The car can be upgraded to a 60 by paying Tesla. For a second model S in the family, this would be perfect.

As a previous owner looking to get another Model S I have been looking around. As usual prices are all over and some dealers don't know what they have, good or bad. So I figured I would make a options list and basic car info in a semi-concise format so others could do the same if they wanted. This way the community can chime in on what they would feel comfortable paying or what they feel it's realistically worth.

Year: 2013
Miles: 20,500
Model: Model S
Battery Size: 40kWh
Color: Black
Interior: Black Leather
Trim: Unknown but Wood

AutoPilot: NO
AutoPilot Enabled: NO
PanoRoof: Yes
Parking Sensors: NO
Rear Facing Seats: NO
Supercharging: NO
Tech Package: NO
Twinchargers: NO
Wheels: 19in Sliver

Do you know which battery pack is in the car? A, B, D?

Figure if someone does buy it from you. And as recommended by @johnnyS could be a second 60 in a family garage.

After the federal tax rebate, the base price of the 40 kWh was $50,000. I do not remember if that included delivery charge, but it was advertised as less than $50,000.00. Of course options raised the price. The car can be upgraded to a 60 by paying Tesla. For a second model S in the family, this would be perfect.

Depending on pack, someone upgrading 40 to 60 could also enable supercharging.

Asking is 56K which I feel is high since. No Tech, no SC unless you drop $12K for the battery and SC unlock.

I don't know what battery pack it has.

I was under the impression that all Model S can supercharge just the S40 had to be a upgraded to the 60 before they would allow it to be enabled and the S60 was just a phone call and $2,500

Asking is 56K which I feel is high since. No Tech, no SC unless you drop $12K for the battery and SC unlock.

I don't know what battery pack it has.

I was under the impression that all Model S can supercharge just the S40 had to be a upgraded to the 60 before they would allow it to be enabled and the S60 was just a phone call and $2,500

Yup, I clarified my statement on SC

Not incapable, limited. A packs at 90 kW I thought. (Older threads)

And I think all of that 40->60+SC is all OTA I believe. (And $$$)

On the other hand you know a 40 would probably have the battery well cared for and NEVER supercharged.

As a point of reference; I have a 40 that I was looking to sell... (61k miles w/Tech pkg). When I purchased a 70D in Dec, Tesla originally offered me a trade-in value of $27k, CarMax $37k. Oddly, Tesla contacted me a few days ago (I have no idea why) with an updated trade-in value of $29k... I guess the classics are like wine.

That said, I've had private offers in the low 40's. I decided to keep it.

To unlock a 40 to a 60kwh is $11,000; which must be done before you can enable SuperCharging for another $2500. However, you can enable CHAdeMO/DC fast charging for $1900 + adapter (the 60 upgrade not required).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and jeffaa
  1. @arron0k that is interesting I was thinking low 40's as well at first but then realized it had no tech package. That really lowers the value in my book and most buyers as well. Tesla may have wanted to flip your car since enabling the extra 20kWh and SC is free for them, recouping some of the 10K loss from the original purchase.
The best comparison I can think of is finding a No Tech Package S60 then subtract at least 10K for the battery.

Last edited:
I agree. Ive been looking for a used S for a little while and there are many 85s available in mid/upper 50s. Csshih, is that your car? Id love more details if you are selling.
also i'm interested in the details if you're selling your S60 AP.

On a related note a week or so ago there was a red S40 for sale in Portland, OR. I recall it was in high 40's

I agree. Ive been looking for a used S for a little while and there are many 85s available in mid/upper 50s. Csshih, is that your car? Id love more details if you are selling.
I'm afraid not, it was a relative's vehicle. I was going to purchase it but I scored a fully loaded 2014 S85(w/AP) for 70K. All was well, they decided to keep the car.

The 60 w/ AP wasn't fully loaded and tesla offered ~50K, I believe it would have sold on the CPO site for ~55K.

@trigga71 you now have two additional real world data points!