Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woah - No new Roadsters 2012-2013?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ChargeIt! said:
The problem with that is ... it's too expensive and resource-diverting. They would still have to re-design the Evora due to the requirements of the heavy ESS/powertrain. Plus re-do crash testing, etc etc etc to meet FMVSS....

Oh absolutely! As has been said by Tesla many times, converting an existing car is far harder than designing new; the Roadster isn't simply a hollowed out Elise filled full of batteries; different suspension points, frame extensions and the reworking of most of the body panels.

I anticipate they'll have Lotus build as many gliders as makes sense to satisfy the growing sales roll-out, store them in a factory space they might just find themselves owning in CA and then roll them out, adding power, batteries and interior just-in-time to meet demand.

They'll have to keep one at least; in case DrTaras has too much fun again ;-)

Remember that the moment they stop shipping cars or making headlines they'll loose so much momentum. There will be a 2011 model or signature/specials... Perhaps even a special with proper Xenon headlights ;-)

I suppose that at the outside, if demand is really high they could option the rights to build new gliders using Lotus designs; they're hand-built... "How hard can it be?"

I wonder how much of the IPR Tesla owns for the Roadster glider?

Come 2013- we'll have a Tesla 2+2 based on the S glider; nice :)

I have no idea if Tesla has any plans for another Lotus chassis based Roadster, but there have been plenty of hints that the Evora design has design thoughts toward electric powertrain already...

Leaked Lotus doc hints at e-Evora • Register Hardware
evora_doc_02.jpg

Lotus now offering the Evora chassis to other automakers — Autoblog Green
evoraevpackaging-copy.jpg

Lotus pitching Evora platform to outside companies | Lotus Enthusiast

Lotus Reportedly Planning Electric Car | Revenge of the Electric Car

"Don't be surprised to see an electric Lotus shortly" : TreeHugger

Tesla announces electric Evora? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

As I understand it, the Roadster shares the Elise windshield and dash.

When the Elise ends production would the Roadster volumes of 1000/year be enough to keep the windshield in production? Could that be the sticky point?

TEG intimates an interesting opportunity for Tesla (or someone else) ... thanks for bringing up that extra info. I still think it's too resource-diverting for Tesla to do it (FMVSS, testing, etc with the new platform) ... although a good point was made by MPT about loss of momentum -- partially balanced by pre-fab and storing of current design gliders. Tesla *MUST* get the Model S to market and get it done RIGHT the first time ...

Batteries will not be a problem. The 18650 cell form-factor will be around for a long time. Even if the base technology shifts to nickel-iron or lithium-sulfur, the energy pack and charger can easily be adjusted to voltage and charging changes. A switch to lithium-potassium would be even simpler.

Autoblog is reporting that Lotus have just facelifted the Elise for release at the Geneva Motor Show. The last facelift being seven years ago. Geneva Preview: 2011 Lotus Elise gets Evora-esque facelift — Autoblog
It looks like a cosmetic facelift only meaning the production line will have few changes and can continue to build Tesla Roadster gliders.
Seems odd that Lotus would do this if they intend to discontinue the Elise in 2011, so hopefully Tesla is just being ultra conservative in their IPO disclosures.

From Tesla's March 2010 email newsletter:
Responding to customer demand, Tesla has negotiated agreements with key suppliers that will increase total Roadster production by 40% and extend sales into 2012. In the coming year, you'll find Roadsters in more countries as we expand to Australia and Asia. Customers in 23 countries have now taken delivery of their Roadster - last month we delivered the first Roadsters to Spain and Ireland.

From Tesla's March 2010 email newsletter:
Responding to customer demand, Tesla has negotiated agreements with key suppliers that will increase total Roadster production by 40% and extend sales into 2012.

I read that and thought, "great, they're going to keep making them for two more model years." Then I read it again. It doesn't say production will continue into 2012, just sales. Maybe they plan on making a bunch before the line closes down and then selling them as they can.

Or, maybe it really means what I thought the first time. I guess we'll eventually find out.

At that time the plan was for just 700 more, but the agreement with Lotus was extended shortly after that ----

http://wot.motortrend.com/more-roadsters-coming-tesla-lotus-extend-production-contract-7162.html

the Lotus factory in Hethel, England, will continue to assemble the Roadster through December of 2011, ultimately producing another 700 cars for a total of 2,400 units. The move will help Tesla fulfill Roadster orders between 2011 and 2012.

Don't worry, another 800 or 900 cars still left to go.... that said, production indeed will cease at the end of 2011 and the cars will be sold into 2012 until they run out. At the Tokyo showroom where I am staff actually is not telling customers that production will end this year as they feel it would scare people away from buying the car!!! (and Telsa would lose the $40,000 premium they are charging for them here).

If that's true DZCPA, then I'd doubt that TM will reach the 2,900 Roadsters in total to be built (that was stated a few months ago I believe on this forum)...what number are they at world wide now...about 1,600?

Tesla staff have told me that 2,500 cars will be produced before production stops... seems like they won't get to 2,900.