Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Wobbly/Swaying" Autopilot and Initial Bluetooth connection issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Folks!

Brand new Tesla owner and hoping for some advice / recommendation from you experts! My Tesla is about a week old and I have noticed 2 odd things I am hoping you can provide some insight to.

---
New Model S 75
Firmware v8.1 (2017.36 1b27c6d)
"Enhanced Autopilot" purchased with car which I believe equates to AP2.0
Premium upgrade package purchased with car
---

Two items I noticed:
1) Autopilot seems drunk sometimes.
I will be driving down the freeway in the fast lane with Autopilot enabled. The lane will be completely straight (no curves, no odd lines) and the Autopilot will be swaying left and right in the lane. A nice slow sway back and forth as if the car had one too many drinks. I have consistently noticed this as the Autopilot picks up speed around 65MPH+ on the freeway and seems to be reproducible on almost any freeway at higher speeds. Curious if this is a Norm to Autopilot or if something may be off that I should have Service check into?

2) Bluetooth.
Whenever I first get into the MS and my phone auto connects to bluetooth. Any initial calls made or received have no Audio. The call will be active, the caller can hear me, the car and my phone show the call as active, both the car and the phone are not on mute... however there is no audio in the car over the speakers and I am unable to hear the caller. The only way for the audio to come through the speakers is for me to disconnect my phone via the bluetooth menu on the MS and then reconnect my phone. Additionally, after this occurs the audio (music) in the car refuses to play as well until I toggle back and forth between the Radio and Streaming.

This occurs with both my personal phone and company phone (both iPhone 7 - one running iOS 11, and the other iOS 10.x).

Thanks in advance for any advise!

Hi @thatisug , and welcome to the club!!

If you just took delivery (not an inventory or CPO) then you most likely have Autopilot Hardware 2.5, (A.K.A - HW2.5 or AP2.5).

#1 - It's possible either your car is still fine tuning it's calibration, or potentially needs help calibrating from the Service Center. In either case, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know what you are experiencing.

#2 - This is a known bug that was introduced in firmware revision 2017.36. From what I've read, it's been fixed in subsequent updates. I can neither confirm nor deny, as I too am still on 17.36. Hopefully they'll iron-out the latest firmware wrinkles and get a patch out very soon!

Edit -- just noticed this was from a month ago. Hopefully you've got everything resolved?

Hi @thatisug , and welcome to the club!!

If you just took delivery (not an inventory or CPO) then you most likely have Autopilot Hardware 2.5, (A.K.A - HW2.5 or AP2.5).

#1 - It's possible either your car is still fine tuning it's calibration, or potentially needs help calibrating from the Service Center. In either case, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know what you are experiencing.

#2 - This is a known bug that was introduced in firmware revision 2017.36. From what I've read, it's been fixed in subsequent updates. I can neither confirm nor deny, as I too am still on 17.36. Hopefully they'll iron-out the latest firmware wrinkles and get a patch out very soon!

Edit -- just noticed this was from a month ago. Hopefully you've got everything resolved?

Thanks for the reply. My MS is back in service this week due to a lovely error with the parking break that occurred (Parking break would not release). However I did take the car in and asked them to check it out prior, and their response was "Thats Normal". I have not had an opportunity to use AP too much since this latest software update given the car has been in the service center. I will have to see if it stabilizes when I get it back from service this week. Hope it does!!

Craziest part is that the AP would wobble in the lane so much sometimes I would feel the need to grab the steering wheel and attempt to stabilize the car for fear a cop or driver around me would thing I was a drunk driver..... :)

Have a similar problem with Autopilot, which is more pronounced around turns. Brought car in and was told it was related to wheel alignment. Tesla aligned wheels but still happening. Will call again and see what they say.

Would love to hear the outcome! When i brought it to their attention they did not even bother checking alignment, etc.. Just said it was "normal". I tried to point out that the wobbling/swaying is so bad sometimes it is as though the AP is drunk and they still did not seem concerned. I am tempted to take the car into a different service center, however will wait and see if there is a difference after the latest software update per JohnnyG's recommendation.

@thatisug , if you don't see any improvement after the software update, my recommendation is to go in and say the following...
"Oh, that's great to know it's normal, shwoo! Okay then, you wouldn't mind giving me a loaner to take out on that same stretch of road to verify this, right? It'll take a huge weight of my chest knowing that we've verified this with another car of the same autopilot hardware build. Once I see it reacts the same, I promise to wait patiently for the autopilot software to improve."
Honestly, any time anyone tries to pass off a failure as normal, on any product, I ask them to please show me with another product of the same build. If it reacts the same way, then I know it's a bigger issue; otherwise now they can't keep dodging.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Don’t necessarily take ‘that’s normal" or we didn’t find a problem as gospel. I had my brand new car picked up the day after I took delivery for a rash of issues. In each case I was told there was no problem. When I pushed back with specific facts they looked again, they found the problem and fixed it. My fave was that I told them about severe wind noise. They claimed not to hear it. I made them drive with me and they clearly heard it. Turns out the sunroof was never sealed. They are having to take off the whole sunroof assembly, add the insulation and re-assemble the sunroof. I also had the lines dancing drunkenly in the IC. .40 fixed it, but the IC view didn’t represent the way the car handled on AP IRL.