Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woman Accidentally Steals Car for 2 Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
When Const. Tommy MacKay got the call that a woman had tried to return a stolen car to an Ontario rental car company, he knew he wasn't dealing with a normal case.

"My initial thought was, 'I'm going to have to find out where she got this vehicle from, or my God, how am I going to put cuffs on this elderly female,'" the Cornwall Community Police Service officer told As It Happens guest host Rosemary Barton.

The saga began in late June when a woman rented a black Nissan Sentra from Enterprise Rent-A-Car company in Cornwall, Ont., about an hour west of Montreal.

After renting the car, MacKay said the woman drove three or four minutes to the local Walmart where she did some grocery shopping.

"Shortly thereafter she exited, walked over to the area where she had parked her vehicle, saw a shiny black vehicle, hopped in it and drove away," he said.

It turns out the car that she thought was her rental vehicle was actually a 2015 black Infiniti QX50, a hatchback — not the sedan she had originally rented.

Both cars use a key fob, which doesn't require a key to start the car. The owner of the stolen Infiniti, an elderly man, had accidently left his key fob in the vehicle.

This allowed the woman to drive off, completely unaware that it wasn't her rental.

<snip>
Full story, audio, at:
Ontario woman accidentally steals car for 2 weeks, mistaking it for a rental | CBC Radio