Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woman and child saved by the Model S in a landslide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That crushed Model S still looks better than the new Prius.

2016-toyota-prius-02.jpg

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 249
I'm glad the falling tree didn't carry the car over a cliff. Even as safe as the Model S is, falling over a cliff is likely beyond its safety capabilities.

I think this is a good example of why the Model S has such a high rate for customers wanting to buy it again. The small problems are still just small problems, overall safety trumps annoyances. The Model S is arguably the safest car on the road. This incident is a great example of how safe it is.

I heard that a big auto manufacturer (feel free to insert any foreign or domestic large automobile manuf name) has just announced they are building the worlds safest car with a range 1000 miles to run on neutrinos, to be released by 2050. This yet to be announced car is so safe and compelling, that i would advise everyone to just walk till such time this car is available. ALso, please warn users of the 'model S' their car is outdated and now obsolete...

There has to be a way for Tesla to tastefully use this as a real world example of the safety of their cars. So many auto makers cleverly advertise their 5 star ratings on one specific test in a way that makes it look like the car has a 5 star safety rating when it's not even close. Tesla could use this, if done right...

Jeff

Exactly. Now we have the tree crush test, the landslide test, the drive straight through a round-about test, the drive off a cliff test (technically the guy lost consciousness and burned to death), the split in half test (driver fine until he left the vehicle), the semi-truck rear-ending test, the trailer hitch to the bottom of the car test, and the Prius test.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree... Glad that the family was unhurt. Those pictures remind me of what the old (Classic box shaped) Volvos were known for...

If Tesla can be the "de-facto" safe car poster child... Who cares about a few door handle issues...

Well, you cant actually put your kids in the car if you can't open the doors technically.

Glad to see so many positive comments in this thread. I'm happy for the family. Sad for the car. That said, I've been pimping the Model S as the best overall family sedan on the market for a few months now and safety is one of the main reasons. I know the MS is expensive, and probably does not offer the best "value" in family sedans. However, I can't think of a better over all sedan to cart me and my family around in.

Well, as I see it the safety glass of the windshield held up, and I have to imagine that the Pano is made of the same material. Also there is steel (aluminum?) reinforcement at the front and middle and rear panels of the Pano roof. I suspect that would have offered the same protection as the solid roof. I could be wrong, but I think Tesla has it covered.

Peace,
Father Bill

According to a reputable local windshield replacement company, the rear lift gate window is also made of safety glass. They told me that is very unusual, as most other vehicles do not use safety glass on the rear windshield. I don't know if that's true, just passing it along.

According to a reputable local windshield replacement company, the rear lift gate window is also made of safety glass. They told me that is very unusual, as most other vehicles do not use safety glass on the rear windshield. I don't know if that's true, just passing it along.

I think many cars have "safety glass" on rear windows.
Here is a news story which has Model S featured in their video talking about laminated rear glass:
Laminated Windows Being Installed in Vehicles Prevent Escape in Emergencies | NBC 6 South Florida

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/Laminated_Glass.pdf

You can see it right on the label - the front windshield, pano roof, and rear hatch glass are all marked as "LamiSafe" glass, for laminated safety glass. This is as opposed to the side windows which are simply tempered safety glass.