Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won’t go into Drive or Reverse without a reboot.

McFlurri

Apr 27, 2016
Kitchener, Ontario
Anyone else have this. Never had it before today and had it twice.
Ive had it happen. The solution i found instead of doing a reboot was to use the key card to "start" the car.

The weird thing is that solved the issue.. but i never recieved a prompt on the screen asking for the card. The damn car recognized my phone enough to unlock the doors... but not to start the car.

Keep in mind i havent had this issue in a while. I believe i was still on Version 8.

Maybe try the key card next time it happens to see if it works.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Try doing a “power off” from the menus. Sometimes that works better for certain issues instead of just doing the two button reboot.

drbabar

Oct 14, 2018
SoCal
this just started happening to me since the last update. First timeI rebooted. Next time, I power offed, Most recently I tapped my keycard. Weird.

Orwell

Oct 1, 2018
Atlanta
This happened to me for the first time today. Couldn't get into D or R.

I set the parking brake, then everything worked as usual.

animorph

Apr 1, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Happened to me Friday morning on 2018.46.2. No Drive or Reverse. Car started OK (all warning lights on and then off), indicated it was in Park and that was it. Wasn't asking for the card. Tried D and R several times with zero effect. Opened and closed the driver's door and it worked after that. Timing or effect, I don't know. But maybe no need to reboot or turn off.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC