Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won’t sleep away from home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ek993

Jun 19, 2018
CT
A few months back, while spending a few nights away from home, my X suffered massive drain over the course of a couple of nights. There were a lot of similar threads about this at the time on this forum, so put it down to a bad software update as all was well when I got home and had a new version update.

Fast forward to this weekend, I went away Friday, arrived at my destination with 55% charge, noticed late in the evening when opening the mobile app the car wasn’t sleeping (connects immediately without the spinning circle) and the battery had drained a few percent. I left the car parked until Sunday afternoon, the car didn’t sleep at all and the battery had drained to 40% in 2 days.

I arrived home this afternoon, am back in home WiFi and the car went to sleep as normal (takes 15 to 20 seconds for the car to wake when opening the mobile app).

So, why isn’t the car going to sleep when away from home and not on my WiFi?

Am on 2020.44, 2018 75D, MCU 2.5 and HW3

1. Did you check to see if you enabled sentry mode away by default? There is a setting there that lets you turn on sentry mode everywhere but home or work.

2. Do you have ANY kind of third party monitoring solution / connection AT ALL (teslafi, stats, teslamate, or any other service other than the official tesla app that connects to the car for anything at all, even if its remotely starting charging, etc)? If so, start there by changing the password on that app and checking again.

Note, I realize this is the X section and I dont have one of those, so I am not 100% sure that the X has the "sentry mode everywhere but home and work" setting that we have on the model 3, but I believe it does.

Sentry definitely switched off, I don't use any third party apps to connect to the car, and I was staying in a hotel - the car was in the parking lot located a couple of minutes walk away.

I read on some Reddit threads about force closing the mobile app - tried that too, didn't work.

Summon Standby is enabled by default and consumes as much power as Sentry Mode. Likely culprit.
Summon Standby was the culprit of my overnight drain a few months ago. I turned it off and it helped greatly. I’ve used summon a few times since I turned it off and I don’t really notice any difference (in the summon wake-up time). It’s a crazy waste of energy (imo) to leave it on all the time.

Summon Standby was the culprit of my overnight drain a few months ago. I turned it off and it helped greatly. I’ve used summon a few times since I turned it off and I don’t really notice any difference (in the summon wake-up time). It’s a crazy waste of energy (imo) to leave it on all the time.
Yes, from a company that has the environment at its core.

Ok, summon standby was the culprit, it was enabled and set to exclude while at home. Thanks to Krazaak and Brkaus for identifying the root cause.

What an absolutely horrible feature to enable by default given its unbelievable power drain. I am sure there are many X owners out there who are suffering with this not knowing this is causing it.

Ok, summon standby was the culprit, it was enabled and set to exclude while at home. Thanks to Krazaak and Brkaus for identifying the root cause.

What an absolutely horrible feature to enable by default given its unbelievable power drain. I am sure there are many X owners out there who are suffering with this not knowing this is causing it.

yes. It should be called “leave me stranded”.

yes. It should be called “leave me stranded”.
I think they should just tie Sentry Mode and Summon Standby together, since they essentially keep the same systems online. You're more likely to be using summon when you're out somewhere that you're likely to be using Sentry Mode anyway. It's pretty obvious they know that, since the default settings exclude Summon Standby at home.

I'm pretty sure that Summon Standby is literally a checkbox to disable sleeping. It just seems to be there to keep the app from having to wake the car when you connect.

Reactions: brkaus