Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won at auction - Changing vehicle plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I won a new plate at auction - does anyone know the process to change my current plate?
For example :
- where and how do I get the new plate made
- what is the paperwork required and how long does it take
- does it matter WHEN i get the plate changed? My current registration expires in November
- how do I change Auto-toll etc?

Thanks in advance!

- where and how do I get the new plate made
Tesla has it's plates made at LeeManPlate.com in Wan Chai

- what is the paperwork required and how long does it take
1823 is your friend for questions on paperwork. It depends on how long the line is at TD but the whole process shouldn't take more than 2 hours

- does it matter WHEN i get the plate changed? My current registration expires in November
"Within 12 months after the date of being allocated with the mark by auction, the successful bidder has to get the mark assigned to a vehicle registered in his name, otherwise this allocation of the mark may be cancelled by the Transport Department and the mark may be reallocated."
Assigning the new vehicle registration mark to your car will not affect the expiration date of your vehicle license

- how do I change Auto-toll etc?
https://www.autotoll.com.hk/autotollclub/download/etc/account_change_form.pdf

Reactions: Titus
TD's paper work is a chore. The counter's processing time is around 5 minutes but the queue is ridiculously long and the waiting time could be anywhere between 30min to a couple of hours. It's ridiculous that they've "professional" queuers with multiple rego applications, roughly 60-70% of the applicants in the queue by my observation.

Changing the actual plate at LeeManPlate takes you around 5-10 minutes for a standard plate all inclusive.

You can also 'give in' and pay the lucky number plate people to do the forms for you.

it'd solve his problem immediately yes, but do bear in mind this may make things worse for everyone in the long term. i'd still pay tho, waiting is a waste.

as for changing your plates, there're loads of shops near the Cheung Sha Wan gov building (with the transport department) that do it - just tell them the number you want, pay $150 or so, it'll be done in 15 mins. changing is just a matter of tearing the old one off of the very strong double sided adhesive tapes by hand, putting strong tape on the back ofyour new license plate, and pressing it back on.