Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won the lottery this time!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
So it's been a month since delivery of my inventory model X and it's been nearly perfect so far (knock on wood).

Respect where it is due, I feel like I need to make this post and that there are non-problematic model X cars after all.

I got my (min-Nov 2017 production) inventory X 100D at end of March (~2800 miles on it) and this time around it was as close to perfect as one can imagine.

My walkthrough was conducted by Service Center manager and everybody at the service center seemed to know about my bad experience before and were striving to make up for it. And so we did not find any issues outside of a couple of black fingerprints on the seats and some glue dripping from under one of the trim pieces (that were promptly corrected on the spot) and a scratch on the panel of 2nd row cupholders (inventory car -> so I did not press it).
Notably the FW doors no longer rub through the paint when closing to my surprise, apparently they took away the rubber part that was rubbing against the doorway. There's also an extra light inside FW doors' speaker grille that was not there before.
I have even doubted if I should have perhaps not leased this time, but it was too late to change that at delivery anyway.

Anyway in the past month the car spent 0 time in service. Of additional stuff aded to the list since then: the driver seat track cover is broken and does not snap in place (minor and I just used some clear tape to hold it in place for now) and there's a bit of a rattle that I am not even sure where it comes from, somewhere at the top of the driver seat since it sound just like it's inside of my head somewhere no matter what I do. Shaking the seat does not produce this sound so I am still investigating and did not contact Tesla about it yet as the result.

Overall I am really happy with the car this time around (and happy to be driving a Tesla again).
First serious roadtrip (to Chicago) in two days and I hope now that I made this post nothing will suddenly break apart ;)

(and no, I did not do anything exciting to the car yet since they upped the security quite a bit since I last looked and I had no time to look at anything in-depth due to being busy with the day job anyway).

>Anyway in the past month the car spent 0 time in service. Of additional stuff aded to the list since then: the driver seat track cover is broken and does not snap in place (minor and I just used some clear tape to hold it in place for now) and there's a bit of a rattle that I am not even sure where it comes from, somewhere at the top of the driver seat since it sound just like it's inside of my head somewhere no matter what I do. Shaking the seat does not produce this sound so I am still investigating and did not contact Tesla about it yet as the result.<

Maybe try shaking your head? :)

Reactions: WINGIT
Lol, wonder if the rattle is in the adjustable head rest.... does it change when all the way up or down, etc.? My September X was near perfect also, congrats!
I thought about the headrest. I tried to pull it down like 50% of the way and that did not help, cannot pull it down all the way because then it makes seating not very good/presses against my back.

Interestingly I do not remember this rattling sound while going back home from delivery (~3 hours drive) and I only adjusted headrest after that drive, or perhaps it just developed over time - like I said, I am still investigating it.

You can always buy your car after the lease ends, but by the time the lease ends it will probably be APH4 or 5 and a rear radar, so I suspect your going to still be winning the lottery, because you'll get the new car with more improvements in a few years ;)

I thought about the headrest. I tried to pull it down like 50% of the way and that did not help, cannot pull it down all the way because then it makes seating not very good/presses against my back.

Interestingly I do not remember this rattling sound while going back home from delivery (~3 hours drive) and I only adjusted headrest after that drive, or perhaps it just developed over time - like I said, I am still investigating it.

You sure it's not the visor? It can sound like it's coming from the door, the window, the roof, etc.

You sure it's not the visor? It can sound like it's coming from the door, the window, the roof, etc.
Not sure of anything, still cannot reliably located where the rattle is it coming from. Any ideas what do I touch to make the rattles stop / feel them to confirm this theory?

Most amuzingly sometimes I cannot reproduce the sound for the whole trip and sometimes minute imperfections in the pavement cause the rattle...

Reactions: WINGIT
I had a horrible rattle on passenger side. I thought it was the suspension but looks like that's not it.

Corrections: Brightwork - Upper - Front - RH

Inspection revealed brightmolding required adjustment. Removed and adjusted brightmolding to factory specifications.

I still don't know what that is, but the rattle is gone. Does anyone know what a brightmolding is?

Are you actually pulling down the headrest instead of using the controls to adjust it? :eek:

I think I finally found where the rattle is coming from. It's that plastic panel behind the headrest, only one side of it too. I guess it flexes a bit during driving and produces the same sound I can produce by pressing with my finger on it.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy