Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wonder if I can tow the truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cant find a hint to this question. Wondering if I can tow behind my RV? Or has to be on trailer?
Seems it would RE Gen if I was towing it?
Any ideas?
In theory towing behind an RV should be easier than with an ICE since there is no transmission and electric motors are neutral without current. The same reason before the brake hold update on my model 3 it rolled backwards like a manual transmission with the clutch in.

Yes, but I'm thinking the Re Gen might produce to much power, over load batteries.
I saved having to put on trailer.
Regen isn’t on all the time, only when the car/truck reverses the polarity of the motor to regenerate (basic explanation). So if the electric car/truck has no power to the motor it will free roll in either direction, which is why Tesla’s are easier to drive post “brake hold” the function where the car holds still with the brakes until you press the accelerator. So there is no reason it won’t free wheel tow.

Permanent magnet motors are part of why the newer cars are so efficient. They make power without current being applied to energize.

I would be shocked if the cybertruck doesn't have any least one permanent magnet motor which makes flat towing any distance a big problem.

This has been covered quite a bit for the other Tesla vehicles. It's one of the very first questions I asked before buying my Model S, because I had dreams of towing it behind an RV and allowing it to recharge its battery when the RV brakes were applied through a trailer brake system. But alas, unless something significant changes with the CT, it won't support this. Why? The transmission is always engaged, and there's no way to put the wheels into a free spinning neutral with the transmission disengaged from the drive.. Tesla doesn't want the wear and tear on the drive/transmission, so they will not support this. As far as I know, the only way you can tow all Teslas (without voiding the warranty) is on a flatbed. I suspect CT to be no different.

• Informative
Reactions: lottadot
Because "follow me" is way easier than having to assemble gear to haul it.
Because the cost of energy for towing it is likely on par with the cost of energy to drive itself.
Big Diesel’s RVs are pretty much constant for mpg. Pulling a ~7k lb freewheeling low rolling resistance truck behind a 30-40k lb motorhome you won’t notice it one bit, It’s relatively light and out of the wind stream.