TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wonder of wonders - an actual Tesla advertisement!

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by evp, Dec 28, 2015.

1. evp

evp Nerd

Elon has said that advertising is a form of lying and he doesn't want to do it. But yet:

20151224_124039a.jpg

I've examined all the claims in the ad. There doesn't appear to be any lying here.:smile:

2. Matias

Matias Active Member

So what does this tell us?

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

It appears old. The old S 85 numbers.

If it was new it would show P90D numbers.

4. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

5. Footbag

Footbag Member

Very odd to be a current ad yet feature 85D performance and not P90D as mentioned already (or perhaps not, given the intended audience for that particular magazine). As to what it tells us, it would seem to me to mean either Origin had a contact with Tesla and wanted to put an ad in for next to nothing cost wise, or Tesla is trying to increase sales. While they have been production (battery?) constrained for quite some time, that obviously wouldn't last forever. It is a tad surprising if they have their battery supply issues sorted out (is the Gigafactory producing any cells yet?)... the Fremont factory sure seems like it should have the functional capacity to handle increased volume.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Increased volume is contingent on operating the 2nd assembly line, which is contingent on ramping the X.

7. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

The text in the first Editor´s letter talks about the Keystone XL pipeline being cancelled "this month" - wikipedia says

Keystone Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite strange indeed they wouldn´t show the latest cars...

8. Vger

Vger Active Member

I think this is probably just a sticking of a toe in the water. There may be an internal discussion about advertising and marketing strategies. Remember, they have new VP's on board. Perhaps they are testing the water to see if there is any effect to some limited targeted ads.

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I hope this signals a change in direction long-term. While it's been cool to say 'no advertising, cars sell themselves', the truth is that there is plenty of advertising: Drive events, active social media presence, etc. I suspect the Marketing dept has been hobbled unnecessarily by the whole 'no traditional advertising' edict.

10. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

It appears that a full-page ad in that periodical costs $3,400. If so, that's extremely cheap. I wonder how large its circulation is, and who and where the target audience.

11. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

To add, I would argue that the Referral program is in itself a form of advertising, or at least promotion. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of new media blitz following the 3 reveal as a way to gain some more mainstream traction. The blogs and other new media will be all over it, but would be cool to see some awesome commercials just talking about the car of the future that is far more reachable to the masses.

12. SebastianR

SebastianR Member

Didn't take a picture of it but I believe I've seen original Tesla advertisements in a Danish magazine a few years back. Don't assume that was sanctioned by Tesla HQ but merely assume it was something the local guys here did.

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is dipping their toes in the water. Seems like a odd choice to break the "ad ban". Are there perhaps other examples earlier than this one?

14. green1

green1 Active Member

The no advertising clause has long had an * next to it to say "in North America" other countries have had advertising for a while.

15. evp

evp Nerd

I bought the magazine in a "Natural Grocers" store. So, I'm guessing the circulation is small and the target audience is organic hippie tree huggers. Not that I'm stereotyping at all -- the store was full of them. (What was I doing in the store? Buying some organic free-range basil. For a friend. Who is an organic hippie tree-hugger. I swear, it wasn't for me.)

16. Beckler

Beckler Member

Actually it says 'No gas' but there's gas in the tires. Liars!

17. tenstringer009

Still not quite sure if this was an advertisement or not, but when I was in Copenhagen earlier this year, they had a multiple page spread on the Model S in the Marriott magazine. Seemed kind of odd...

IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3080.JPG

Attached Files:

18. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Some of you may be intrigued to learn that Leilani Munter is tagged as a Contributing Editor.

And from their marketing site, a little about their demographics:

19. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

forgot to post previously but ads overseas not unusual. My daughter travels to China frequently and told me she saw billboard in China advertising Tesla

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#20 ecarfan, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    So far everyone appears to assume that Tesla Motors paid for this ad to appear in this relatively obscure print magazine with likely a modest circulation.
    I have some editorial experience in the small magazine business, and I can tell you that it is not unusual for advertisers to cancel ads just before a print deadline and then the magazine has to fill the space. What can happen is that the space is given away or a company that does not even advertise in the magazine is given space in an attempt to convince them to start paying for ad space.
    It is possible that this magazine had unexpected space available and thought it would look cool to make it appear that Tesla was an advertiser. So they go to Telsa's online file of press photos, use one in the ad (and the one they picked was years old, by the way) and whip up some copy and plug it in.
    The copy in this ad is uninspired and outdated. The photo is old. It does not look like something Tesla would come up with.
    My chain of reasoning here may appear thin to some, but think about it: why would Tesla spend money on a single ad in a relatively obscure print magazine and nowhere else in traditional media? If Tesla is going to start running print magazine ads they have the money to select much higher circulation, higher profile well known magazines.
    Thank you for posting that information, and it may explain a lot. There may have been page space available and Leilani got the ear of the editor to give Tesla some free promotion. Good for her if that was the case.
    Note: regarding the magazine's claim of 150,000 circulation, that is a relatively small number in the US print magazine business, and small publications like that often do not have that figure audited by an independent firm. Such circulation figures are routinely exaggerated to make publications seem larger than they actually are and to attract advertisers. I'm not criticizing, just pointing out how that business world works.