TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wondering if I should keep the car in the long term or trade it in?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Nick B, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Nick B

Nick B Member

Hello everyone,

I've been reading/searching a lot recently but could not find a post that really answers my question.

I've owned my 2014 P85+ for over a year now and have had to replace 2 door handles as well as the heating compressor. Now my louvers seem to have a problem opening/closing however I suspect that this will be an easy and inexpensive fix.

In Feburary 2018, the CPO warranty that I have with Tesla will not longer be applicable. I'm wondering if at that time it will be better to simply trade in the car for a newer one with an additional warranty or to keep my current car.

The door handles really seem like a recurring problem with the car and at 1000$ each, they can get expensive. There's also the main control computer/screen as well as the air suspension which could end up being very expensive in the long run. The upside of keeping the car is the fact that one day the car will be paid in full and will therefore cost me less in terms of depreciation.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Thanks,

2. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I'm in the same boat. I decided to keep mine.

3. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

I hear newer cars have less issues. Though they have not been tested as much in terms of time. We'll have to see. And yes, the P85+ loaner I got also had the door handle problem. I just entered on the passenger side until I was able to get the loaner back to the SC.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The vast majority of the time the door handles can be fixed for less than $10.

• Like x 2
  5. azred

azred Member

#5 azred, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    It sounds like you should sell it before January 2018 and buy a car that is likely to be more reliable than a Tesla -- and can be fixed by a private mechanic. If I ever owned a car with a year left on the warranty and was worrying about its future reliability, I definitely would never purchase another car of that brand. Will Teslas ever be as reliable as a Honda -- and will we ever be able to go to private mechanics for repairs? Probably not given the newness of the company, the uniqueness of the car and the small production numbers. But that's a cost of ownership I am willing to absorb. But I'm not thrilled either by the prospect of costly repairs at too few company repair shops staffed by kids who have little experience fixing these mechanical marvels.

6. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

It's up to you. Even if you had to spend a couple thousand a year, that's nothing compared to the depreciation of a new car.

Driving a Tesla is a mode of transportation and a hobby. Both cost money. Think if you owned a plane - a $10k repair is pretty routine.

• Like x 1
  7. Jim R

Jim R Member

Agree with azred. If the future costs concern you, change brands. You have to be comfortable with the car you have, and be ready, willing and able to fund repairs when they are needed. It's a peace of mind thing. No point in having a car you fret about.

• Like x 1
  8. Nick B

Nick B Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I understand your arguments about being comfortable regarding the ownership of the car but it's ultimately not about not being able to afford the maintenance cost but more about which option will cost me more over time and about figuring out what I should expect as far as maintenance cost go over the next 2-3 years. Would be nice to know (or at least have a idea) how much money people with a 2012-2013 year model put in their cars over time. There's also the option of buying a used 90D (for example) in a year and having another 50 000 mile warranty. I just wish we had a little more information as to what to expect when the car reaches 4-5 or even 6 years old. Any additional input/ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone,

9. Nick B

Nick B Member

Maybe I can start looking at the details (I know someone posted somewhere information regarding this issue) when my warranty comes to term. Just wish tesla would figure a way to easily fix this issue so we wouldn't have to bother with it.

10. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

I was told by a reliable source that up until a few months ago when there was an issue with the door handle they had to change the entire handle mechanism (expensive). Now they can replace just the micro-switch which is the usual point of failure (much less expensive).

I don't know the actual money amounts involved with one versus the other.

Mike

11. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

My 2013 85s has 88k. I've only owned it for the past 2.5k miles. When I bought it, it needed a windshied and he screen was delaminating. I paid $2k to have that fixed at Tesla.

Only other issue I had was a bad TPMS sensor which was $50.

I'm comfortable with a $1k door handle repair. My biggest fear is the MCU going out which is about $6k. I'm not that concerned that I would purchase a new or CPO because of it. A new Tesla depreciates about $1.5k/month. That's my back of the envelop calculation.

• Informative x 1
  12. Nick B

Nick B Member

Thanks for the post, I'm also comfortable with a 1k door handle repair as long as I don't replace all 4 each 6 months (or if there's an easy fix like Mike mentioned)! But seriously, the MCU seems be to be fairly uncommon (however we'll have to see in the long run) and I can live with that type of cost if it happens once in the 3-4 upcoming years. I really appreciate that 1.5k/month calculation: I'll use it and compare with my own calculations but it does help to validate my excel spreadsheet as well as my own calculations.

Thanks again,

13. Quibbs

Quibbs Member

I've bought my Tesla in 2013 (new) and have spent less than 500$ in repairs. There was a DU replaced and TPMS, a fix for the creaking pano roof, adjustment for the rear hatch, a small suspension fix, a under body cover put on and a couple of other fixes that escape me. All of these were done under warranty, most at my home, some at a SC. I've not had any door handle issues and love the car. I understand your concerns but judging from my experience I'd feel fairly comfortable in the long term reliability.

People want to gloss over the fact this is still a new car company as opposed to every other one out there making a new kind of car. There were and will be growing pains, but imho any objective observer would have to concede that overall Tesla has been a modern American success story.

• Like x 3
  14. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

I bought my CPO in May of 2015 and I have had thoughts of upgrading to a new one. The only thing holding me back is that big price tag and the payments that go with it.

The car I am driving right now is paid for and there have been very few repairs so far. Another 2 years on the CPO warranty, so not real worried about repairs until that expires.

When the 100D hits production that will be really tempting. I would really like AWD and the extra range that the 100D would offer. In the mean time I will just work on building the savings account for the down payment on the next one. The pricing on the 100D might also push me to wait longer if the price is a big jump over the 90D.

15. bakchod87

bakchod87 Member

I would say keep this car for this year. Tesla will come out with the new generation battery packs and possibly a 130KW battery by end of this year. If money is not a problem, buy the 130KW newer battery with a 400 mile range car with more bells and whistles. This car is an experience like none other. If money is not a problem, wait for a year and get the new one.

16. Footer

Footer Member

I'm still a little afraid of repair costs after the warranty expires. I bought the 3 year service agreement for my 90D with the idea that I would trade it in for a CPO, maybe a 2 year old 100D, in 2020. I would like to avoid the big 2 year depreciation hit. I already sucked it up once on my 2014 to get an AP1 car.

So if I were you, I would be prepared to trade it in soon after your warranty expires, but if you can't get the car you want, I'd hold onto the P85+ a bit longer.

17. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

We were concerned with the reliability of our car's and for the most part they have held up great. And no major out of pocket price's for my P85D when it ran out of warranty. And when the 85D run's out of warranty and when the P100D run's out of warranty we wont be concerned about major out of pocket issues. But if some random major 7k price issue comes up we might just sell it if it ever come's to that. But knowing Tesla that won't happen.

18. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I will trade mine in in 2 years when my warranty expires.

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

For the majority of the broken ones it's just a broken wire on a small switch.

20. Nick B

Nick B Member

Thank you everyone for your posts and comments. I guess I'll wait another year at least and then compare the options but I'm a lot more reassured by the long term reliability of the car. Please feel free to continue posting your opinions.