Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wondering if they will still deliver in the P85D range enhancement promise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to be able to expect about 160 miles of range without adjusting driving habits or having to plan for a charge. Beyond that and its playing with fire. Arguably suitable for many people, but still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the usability of the car. There have been threads to nauseam on the subject; all I'm wondering is if anyone has 'heard" anything or can reflect on past experiences in terms of TM delivering on such a critical fix to the car.

The purpose is not to start a "black hole" thread or point to their self imposed deadline and count down the minutes to it with angst and speculation about how they will fail us. More like, I am just seeking some semblance of people with sobering experience to provide additional perspective. As it stands, I love this car, but really look at the range and shake my head.

You're lucky to be in a warm weather area as cold weather really reduces your range. On a 90% charge my range is about 220km (135 miles). But this will only be an issue for me once or twice a year.

Yep. It's not bad once you're out on the highway at constant speed with a warm battery. But for daily driving around town, the range reduction is just crazy.

I believe they will do it. Not doing so would be a PR disaster. The question is more about when! :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is from the Tesla website.

The software update to implement torque sleep will be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015 and will substantially improve the range of dual motor vehicles by roughly 10%. All tables and graphs in this paper are shown including the benefits of torque sleep.

It says end of January right there. I suspect they put the date in there to provide a self-imposed deadline. I'm betting that they're working like mad to get the update prepped for next week. Hopefully they don't quietly edit January to March!

Of course I also believe in Santa and unicorns. :)

Firstly, there is no doubt in my mind that Tesla will deliver on the P85D range enhancement promise.

Secondly, I think you need to appreciate that you can easily "adjust your driving habits" based on the coming day's "range" needs...

You have already done the "hard work" of identifying that a full day of "fun" driving = a total range of 160 miles...ergo...put your next day's "range needed profile" into this equation...my Roadster "profile" of "a full day's fun = 200 kms" looks like this...

On a typical day, I can drive and have "as much fun" as I desire as my daily need for range will be well under my "fun profile range" (200 km) by leaving home with a full standard charge.

If my travels for the next day include (like this Wednesday past), a trip to Toronto (further distance, all at highway speeds and in colder weather), I simply charge in range mode, and "limit my fun" accordingly...If I stick to the speed limits, I know from experience that I will get very close to the range that my VDS is showing... some quick math shows I can make it to Toronto & back with more than my minimum buffer for safety...(you gain this understanding of your vehicle's behavior very quickly by simple observations when driving the car...it should really only take a week or two of driving to acquire this knowledge + it's an enjoyable exercise :wink:).

On the very rare occasion that I will need to find a charge whilst away from home, there are plenty of online resources for me to source this out (the night before I embark)

It is not rocket science to do this (elsewise I would be left stranded frequently...and I have never been stranded due to running out of range (or gas in previous vehicles) for that matter).

A very few minutes of consideration of the following day's plans will serve you very well...you will look back on this in a month or so and wonder why you were ever worried about it! :smile:

I seem to be able to expect about 160 miles of range without adjusting driving habits or having to plan for a charge. Beyond that and its playing with fire. Arguably suitable for many people, but still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the usability of the car. There have been threads to nauseam on the subject; all I'm wondering is if anyone has 'heard" anything or can reflect on past experiences in terms of TM delivering on such a critical fix to the car.

The purpose is not to start a "black hole" thread or point to their self imposed deadline and count down the minutes to it with angst and speculation about how they will fail us. More like, I am just seeking some semblance of people with sobering experience to provide additional perspective. As it stands, I love this car, but really look at the range and shake my head.

Firstly, there is no doubt in my mind that Tesla will deliver on the P85D range enhancement promise.

Secondly, I think you need to appreciate that you can easily "adjust your driving habits" based on the coming day's "range" needs...

You have already done the "hard work" of identifying that a full day of "fun" driving = a total range of 160 miles...ergo...put your next day's "range needed profile" into this equation...my Roadster "profile" of "a full day's fun = 200 kms" looks like this...

On a typical day, I can drive and have "as much fun" as I desire as my daily need for range will be well under my "fun profile range" (200 km) by leaving home with a full standard charge.

If my travels for the next day include (like this Wednesday past), a trip to Toronto (further distance, all at highway speeds and in colder weather), I simply charge in range mode, and "limit my fun" accordingly...If I stick to the speed limits, I know from experience that I will get very close to the range that my VDS is showing... some quick math shows I can make it to Toronto & back with more than my minimum buffer for safety...(you gain this understanding of your vehicle's behavior very quickly by simple observations when driving the car...it should really only take a week or two of driving to acquire this knowledge + it's an enjoyable exercise :wink:).

On the very rare occasion that I will need to find a charge whilst away from home, there are plenty of online resources for me to source this out (the night before I embark)

It is not rocket science to do this (elsewise I would be left stranded frequently...and I have never been stranded due to running out of range (or gas in previous vehicles) for that matter).

A very few minutes of consideration of the following day's plans will serve you very well...you will look back on this in a month or so and wonder why you were ever worried about it! :smile:

Jaff - Youre a senior member so Im trying to assume that you meant to be constructive. That said, your explanation comes across as VERY condescending note on driving habits...If thats the case, thanks for the explaining the basics; however, it COMPLETELY missed my point.

As you mentioned, stretching range isn't rocket science - if I was so inclined to drive my car in a range conscious way all the time to make it useful, I wouldn't have opted for a P85D or adjusted the title of this thread to a self defeated version of "how do I extend the range of my P85D?" and it could be piled on all of the other multitudes of threads on the subject. In fact, I don't understand that mindset you describe at all...except for as the exception in cases where we are stretching the usefulness of the battery due to a planned trip. I intend to drive it like a car is meant to be driven. Your fist line was all that I was looking for...and perhaps some insignt around experiences that backs up the statement. Thanks.

There was nothing in my post meant to be condescending skilly...very often, new drivers of EV's, especially performance EV's, initially tend to drive the vehicle for fun, but fail to track the usable range...I know, because this was exactly what I did when I bought my Roadster...it took me a few months to fully understand how far I could actually drive the car when I needed to embark on a drive that was pushing the range limit of the vehicle.

I am not at all sure why you feel the P85D is not flexible enough to be a vehicle that can be driven for fun and for practicality.

Jaff - VERY condescending note on driving habits...thanks for the explaining the basics; however, it COMPLETELY missed my point. As you mentioned, stretching range isn't rocket science - if I was so inclined to drive my car in a range conscious way all the time to make it useful, I wouldn't have opted for a P85D or adjusted my thread to a self defeated version of how do I extend the range of my P85D? In fact, I don't understand that mindset at all...except for as the exception in cases where we are stretching the usefulness of the battery due to a planned trip. Otherwise I intend to drive it like a car is meant to be driven. Your fist line was all that I was looking for...thanks.

Skilly lives in California. Not exactly a cold weather location. Wonder what his range would be in an 'ordinary' S85?. Drive it 'like it was meant to be driven' will resort in poor range. Something about the laws of physics. No software is going to fix that.

How do you only get 160 miles in a P85D? Do you drive 120 MPH?

There are hundreds of posts around the range. Im pretty typical. THe P85D has range issues - if you haven't read about them or have one yourself, 160 miles on a 90% charge is typical (note the post earlier noting 135 miles because of cold weather). Its a hungry set up hence the basis of my post - we are all waiting for the fix that they deadlined for the end of this month.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. We've been having a few -25 days here, and I can tell you that I've been getting WELL under 160 miles when doing my standard driving around the city. And yes, I've not been light on the throttle. But I've also not been crazy.

you mean you arent throttling everywhere you go at 120mph? :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I am not at all sure why you feel the P85D is not flexible enough to be a vehicle that can be driven for fun and for practicality.

if youre curious, you should spend some time reading the forums on the subject...its not pilot error. Its an engineering miscalculation that currently doesnt allow for "fun and practical"