Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wondering what those who using ABRP actually use as a process.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding 'A Better Route Planner'.

Hi,

I just received my car a few days ago.
upload_2021-3-3_14-52-29.gif

Not using the Tesla navigator and running ABRP on the display browser seems slow and awkward, hides the Tesla navigation and also precludes having the battery warmed etc.

So, the process I was thinking of is as follows.

1. Do the ABRP planning on a phone, tablet, pc etc. beforehand.
  2. In the car use the Tesla navigator to navigate to the first charger provided by ABRP.
  3. When at the first charger, use the Tesla navigator to navigate to the second charger provided by ABRP
  4. etc.
Does that make sense?
What do other people do?

Phil

Last edited:
Hi,

I just received my car a few days ago. View attachment 641683

Not using the Tesla navigator and running ABRP on the display browser seems slow and awkward, hides the Tesla navigation and also precludes having the battery warmed etc.

2. In the car use the Tesla navigator to navigate to the first charger provided by ABRP.
  3. When at the first charger, use the Tesla navigator to navigate to the second charger provided by ABRP
  4. etc.
Does that make sense?
What do other people do?

Phil

Yeah, I gave up on trying to use ABRP (A Better Route Planner) on the car. Just used my phone (linked to data from the car). Much faster! And generally I just try to get the overview before starting and come up with a plan that way, rather than adjusting on the fly (less distracting, less fiddling, safer). Not always possible in denser Supercharger environments, or if there are outages, high utilization, etc.

I think it's just best as a way of suggesting options to you that the in-car navigation (which is not set up to minimize travel time) does not. Consider them and then choose what you feel is best.

I mostly pay attention to the planner in the car once I'm familiar with a route, and don't worry about ABRP. Can always plug in the Supercharger destination I want rather than my ultimate destination. (And as mentioned below, that's important for pre-conditioning - the in-car Nav definitely needs to know where you are going to be Supercharging.)

Hi,

4. etc.
Does that make sense?
What do other people do?

Phil

yep, that's pretty much what I do .. let ABRP do the master plan but let the Tesla nav system do the actual driving battery pre-conditioning etc.

I do something similar to what you've outlined.

ABRP is exceptional for planning. I use it to plan the overall route, but then use the Tesla Navigator to get to each Supercharger, which also provides the most accurate estimate of remaining power at the next destination.

I also run Waze on the phone which sits well on the wireless charging pad. I defer to Waze over the Tesla Navigator because it gives real-time "traffic-related information." [Read: Tesla Navigator won't tell you where the car wrecks, debris on the road or cops are.]

Hi,

4. etc.
Does that make sense?
What do other people do?

Phil
Yep, like the others have answered, that's what I do. I run ABRP on my iPhone, which sits on a Xvida Qi charger next to the center display. Then I run the car's nav on its display, because it allows for battery prep by going to superchargers.

Hi,

4. etc.
Does that make sense?
What do other people do?

Phil

Yup. You've got it. That's what I use for long trips. Works perfectly. If I need/want to divert, I run another ABRP and then plot it on the Nav system. Easy Peasy.

1. ABRP is only useful for long, complex trips.
2. You will need to already have some experience with your car and its consumption to properly "calibrate" ABRP parameters.

I use it to plan trip ahead - see what the reference times are, e.g. when expected to finally arrive at the destination / hotel. Have it on a printout or screenshot, etc.

Then when driving, I use the Tesla NAV because it's simply faster to use. Tesla NAV dictates the actual drive. ABRP is a cross-reference / backup / nice-to-have because of finer granularity on every leg in charging percentages and etc.

@BeerFizz - Congrats on the new car!! Hope you’re enjoying it!

To answer your question - that’s exactly what I do. Plan the route with ABRP and then just use the built in navigation for each “section”. As we stop - either at a charger or a waypoint, I’ll just enter the next leg into the Tesla display.

Easy cheesy.

We did a 17-day, 7,000 mile road trip this way over the summer; I’d say generally we were within 5 minutes or so of what ABRP predicted for each leg. It was amazing! Really made things easy.

We planned with ABRP and made sure the energy consumption was tracking along with its predictions (it was very close!). By the 2nd day we learned to basically trust the charging percentages ABRP was suggesting. Phenomenal tool for planning, but not so great for in-car nav.

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 4.40.57 PM.png

Hi,

4. etc.
Does that make sense?
What do other people do?

Phil

That is exact how it should be done.

Reactions: smartypnz

Hi,

4. etc.
Does that make sense?
What do other people do?

Phil

That's exactly how I choose to use it. Works well for me.

Reactions: smartypnz
@BeerFizz
We planned with ABRP and made sure the energy consumption was tracking along with its predictions (it was very close!). By the 2nd day we learned to basically trust the charging percentages ABRP was suggesting. Phenomenal tool for planning, but not so great for in-car nav.

Yes... first time I tried it, I looked at the suggested charge times and was very skeptical. But, gotta admit - makes it easy. Don't always adhere to those times cuz sometimes ya gotta do stuff while charging and wind up charging more. However, that's a good thing - makes next stop shorter.

Still, like what was said - plan with ABRP... but then Nav with the "in car Nav". Only exception to that is if ABRP can make the Tesla start pre-conditioning.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Yes... first time I tried it, I looked at the suggested charge times and was very skeptical. But, gotta admit - makes it easy. Don't always adhere to those times cuz sometimes ya gotta do stuff while charging and wind up charging more. However, that's a good thing - makes next stop shorter.

Still, like what was said - plan with ABRP... but then Nav with the "in car Nav". Only exception to that is if ABRP can make the Tesla start pre-conditioning.

You know - you hit the nail right on the head there! We found that - at least half of our stops - the car was at its target charge before we were ready to depart. Whether that was bathroom breaks, or grabbing lunch, or shopping or whatever -- really. We were shocked - I mean, genuinely shocked at how unobtrusive charging stops were. They weren't an impediment to our trip at all, and in fact enhanced it in a bunch of ways. We saw some things we wouldn't have otherwise, we used the time to explore some new shops (like we found this amazing organic supermarket at the Supercharger in Jackson WY! Brought home some amazing hatch chilis ....) and helped us schedule meal and bathroom breaks.

It became part of the trip, rather than a time sink. Even when we still had a few minutes to go, we'd throw on YouTube and watch a video about whatever our next destination was going to be.

It's genius. Really made me feel like we were on a Great American Road Trip - the Route 66 kind where you really SEE the country. Amazing how the most advanced technology can bring you back to a simpler time.

It's genius. Really made me feel like we were on a Great American Road Trip - the Route 66 kind where you really SEE the country. Amazing how the most advanced technology can bring you back to a simpler time.

Yes!!! When we first got Tesla (2013), most users didn't realize that to charge 'full' on a trip was a waste of time as it slows significantly when getting close to full. Effect was, people started charging to "enough with a buffer". and found how relaxing those stops were... usually long enough to do what needs done and then back on the road. No anxiousness, very confident, and refreshed.
That 'extra half hour to fill' was replaced by a 10 minute stop down the road.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Great thread, as my wife and I are going to do a 6 or so hour drive to baseball spring training next week. We've plugged in info to ABRP and I was wondering a bit how to go about using it etc. Will now just use the info for the stops and go from there. Thanks all!

Reactions: Carolina Karl
@BeerFizz - Congrats on the new car!! Hope you’re enjoying it!

To answer your question - that’s exactly what I do. Plan the route with ABRP and then just use the built in navigation for each “section”. As we stop - either at a charger or a waypoint, I’ll just enter the next leg into the Tesla display.

Easy cheesy.

We did a 17-day, 7,000 mile road trip this way over the summer; I’d say generally we were within 5 minutes or so of what ABRP predicted for each leg. It was amazing! Really made things easy.

View attachment 641908

Looks like a nice trip through the rockies! We visited Yellowstone and the Tetons this summer and really enjoyed it. We flew, though so I had a rental car instead of my Telsa. :(

• Disagree
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Thanks again everyone.

We are taking our first road trip in a couple of weeks, Saint Charles, MO to Gatlinburg, TN in the Smokies.

The route planned by ABRP is below and looks very easy and straight forward, leaving home with a 100% SOC and arriving with as large as possible a SOC (in this case 79%).

Man, 11 mins here and 17 mins there, hardly enough time for a bite to eat or a bathroom break.

upload_2021-3-4_11-17-22.png