Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wonky 2022.8.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I seemed to notice some things yesterday following this update (which I kinda regret doing) - it seems garbage cans now flash on the screen, and my autopilot went from working reliably to rarely working, and when it will engage, it seems to want me to get my hands on that yoke right away, take over, red lights, mayday, etc. - is that just me?
It seems like this update took away from options from the audio settings (i think the remove explicit language option, but i'm not sure) and again, my autopilot really seems to have gone downhill, when I can get it to engage at all.
I appreciate anyone's thoughts.

I had the ranger come Friday with my privacy shelf (yippie!) but not my replacement center console (boo, hiss).
anyway, i mentioned the AP issue, and he told me sometimes firmware can have bugs in it (or cause bugs?)
this part was interesting (to me) - he offered to send me/have me reinstall the firmware. i was at work, and mentioned i thought it wouldn't download over LTE - he said no problem.
lo and behold, shortly thereafter i had the notice to update my firmware -- with the same version.
now, i don't know if there were hidden sub-versions, like 2022.8.2.00000000001 (and when you check your software screen, it actually gives you like an MD5 or similar long string of info) but I went from at least on the macro side, 2022.8.2 to, 2022.8.2 (yup, same version) - and now my AP works as it used to.
so, i don't know if there was some corruption, or maybe some bugs or something for say, "MY" microcontroller.
I have to imagine that Tesla has the low level stuff all sorted out, so updates should only be at the higher software level to be compiled, etc. - but whatever.
either way, i thought it was interesting.

TLDR;
1. Ranger can push out a software update even over LTE, and
2. sometimes reinstalling what seems to be the same software version can fix some bugs

Huh, funny. Yesterday after washing my car, the system went haywire. First indication was no cruise control or auto steer. A scroll wheel reset not only didn’t fix it, but my LTE would not connect. A hard power off fixed the LTE, but still no cruise.

Took it straight to SC in case of water ingress on the computers. He did a 12v reset and that solved the problem (I think water on the windshield threw camera calibration out or something…)

But to the point, I came home and had a notification of update to 2022.8.2, but I was already on that version. I was wondering why the heck it would update to the version I’m already on. Now I know, the tech probably pushed the reinstall the same way yours did as part of his troubleshooting.

Huh, funny. Yesterday after washing my car, the system went haywire. First indication was no cruise control or auto steer. A scroll wheel reset not only didn’t fix it, but my LTE would not connect. A hard power off fixed the LTE, but still no cruise.

Took it straight to SC in case of water ingress on the computers. He did a 12v reset and that solved the problem (I think water on the windshield threw camera calibration out or something…)

But to the point, I came home and had a notification of update to 2022.8.2, but I was already on that version. I was wondering why the heck it would update to the version I’m already on. Now I know, the tech probably pushed the reinstall the same way yours did as part of his troubleshooting.
Different build maybe.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I had the ranger come Friday with my privacy shelf (yippie!) but not my replacement center console (boo, hiss).
anyway, i mentioned the AP issue, and he told me sometimes firmware can have bugs in it (or cause bugs?)
this part was interesting (to me) - he offered to send me/have me reinstall the firmware. i was at work, and mentioned i thought it wouldn't download over LTE - he said no problem.
lo and behold, shortly thereafter i had the notice to update my firmware -- with the same version.
now, i don't know if there were hidden sub-versions, like 2022.8.2.00000000001 (and when you check your software screen, it actually gives you like an MD5 or similar long string of info) but I went from at least on the macro side, 2022.8.2 to, 2022.8.2 (yup, same version) - and now my AP works as it used to.
so, i don't know if there was some corruption, or maybe some bugs or something for say, "MY" microcontroller.
I have to imagine that Tesla has the low level stuff all sorted out, so updates should only be at the higher software level to be compiled, etc. - but whatever.
either way, i thought it was interesting.

TLDR;
1. Ranger can push out a software update even over LTE, and
2. sometimes reinstalling what seems to be the same software version can fix some bugs
How do you get in contact with a ranger? On my app they only offer service to come pick me up

Autopilot is completely non functional on 8.3 for me FYI. Tried reboots and even a camera calibration, no dice.

Attachments

• 217D63CE-CEF2-48CD-83B2-91CC5DF637BF.jpeg
    217D63CE-CEF2-48CD-83B2-91CC5DF637BF.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 1,038
Autopilot is completely non functional on 8.3 for me FYI. Tried reboots and even a camera calibration, no dice.
I had a problem with autopilot recently too, no cruise or autopilot at all. It happened spontaneously after a car wash. After a couple unsuccessful resets, I took it straight to the service center, they checked for water ingress (none), then did a 12V reset (disconnected the 12V battery for a few minutes). The 12V reset fixed the problem.

I had a problem with autopilot recently too, no cruise or autopilot at all. It happened spontaneously after a car wash. After a couple unsuccessful resets, I took it straight to the service center, they checked for water ingress (none), then did a 12V reset (disconnected the 12V battery for a few minutes). The 12V reset fixed the problem.
Same issue here. No cruise or autosteer for 2 days, I did the 2 button reset several times to no avail Out of the blue...it's working again.

Reactions: IamGaryGnu
Same issue here. No cruise or autosteer for 2 days, I did the 2 button reset several times to no avail Out of the blue...it's working again.
Good to know, sounds very much like a software problem. I still had a worry bead that water got into the wiring somewhere, so this makes me feel better.

I had the tech teach me how to do the 12V reset, it's not difficult, so if it happens again at least I know how to fix it. He also queued my car to have 2022.8.2 "re-installed", so maybe that helped too.

Reactions: IamGaryGnu
I didn't check my message screen like you did - I only had the "autopilot not available" come on almost every time. the firmware reinstallation helped. did another one after, and then yesterday was the latest, and so far all seems great (except my calender sync, but that's another thread)...