Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wonky headlight behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
A couple of nights ago I was sitting in the car at the curb waiting for my son to get out of a show he was performing in. I turned on the parking lights (had been in the auto position) so as to not blind oncoming traffic and pedestrians as well as to save a little energy since I was going to be waiting for a while.

After around 20-25 minutes, without my touching anything, the headlights turned back on. Thought it was weird but just hit the Park button again...to my surprise the headlights stayed on even though the display showed the button in the Park position. I then tried "Off", but there was no change--the indicator showed in the off position, but the lights still showed on on the display and were still on in reality as well. I left the Off position selected and just sat there, not really sure what else to do (in hind sight I probably should have reset the center display). After another 10-15 minutes the headlights finally switched off. I was able to put into Park and they operated normally after that.

Not sure if this is a firmware bug or if I just need to do a reset (which I haven't done yet because I've encountered no further issues).
2014-02-03 21.15.07.jpg
2014-02-03 21.15.19.jpg
2014-02-03 21.21.17.jpg

A disconnect between the display selections and what the car was really doing a la what many of us saw post-5.8 upgrade. Nothing a reboot couldn't cure (I had to do one of those today to fix windows that refused to go up or down). I almost liken a reboot to "clearing the throat".

Were you in park with the parking lights on?
Do you have the car set to leave headlights on for a bit after leaving the car?
(if yes to both, I'm theorizing it's a reproducible bug related to the car shutting itself down after a long period of inactivity in park even when you're sitting in the seat)

A disconnect between the display selections and what the car was really doing a la what many of us saw post-5.8 upgrade. Nothing a reboot couldn't cure (I had to do one of those today to fix windows that refused to go up or down). I almost liken a reboot to "clearing the throat".

No disconnect, the lights were actually on as the display showed.