Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't connect to home wifi (Netgear Orbi RBK50)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not router issue, because my other car can connect to it without any issue.

Both 5G and 2.4G are on, it sees the network (main and guest), but just won't connect. Encryption is WPA2. Password is correct.

Thanks

@nate704 @laservet Thanks! I will give it a try later today.
Did this work for you? I have just had my Gen 3 Wall charger installed today but finding it impossible to connect to the WiFi. It wont even find the Orbi mesh network, Will only find my Virgin router, which it too far away to maintain a stable connection so drops out whilst trying to connect. I've tried moving the satellites around etc, but nothing works.

Did this work for you? I have just had my Gen 3 Wall charger installed today but finding it impossible to connect to the WiFi. It wont even find the Orbi mesh network, Will only find my Virgin router, which it too far away to maintain a stable connection so drops out whilst trying to connect. I've tried moving the satellites around etc, but nothing works.
I use the same 50 series successfully. Like the OP, are you certain both 2.4 and 5 are on for both APs? Maybe use a signal strength meter on a smart phone to compare the Virgin vs the Orbi, confirm Orbi should be stronger where the car is. A marginal radio part might be the most difficult scenario to triage.

I use the same 50 series successfully. Like the OP, are you certain both 2.4 and 5 are on for both APs? Maybe use a signal strength meter on a smart phone to compare the Virgin vs the Orbi, confirm Orbi should be stronger where the car is. A marginal radio part might be the most difficult scenario to triage.
Thanks. It does help to know that this definitely works with the RBK50 - just a matter of trying to work out what settings i have got wrong.
I had a similar issue with my home alarm system (Pyronix) which would only connect to the Virgin router as well, but that is inside and much closer to the Virgin router, so not an issue.

I have just done a walk around as you suggested with my Orbi network. Having moved the nodes around, I am getting as strong a signal as is possible at the Gen 3 charger now. 7ms ping time. Speeds are good too.

I can see the mesh network on my phone, but the charger itself does not see the network at all. Really strange. I've checked the devices that are linked to my network and at least 1 of the satellites does have 2.4ghz devices connected to it (Ring camera). No reason as to why the charger should not also pick it up considering the Ring camera and the charger are about 3m apart from each other

I logged into the Orbi system and turned off the 5ghz network, and that seemed to allow the Gen 3 Wall Charger to see and connect to the Mesh network. I now need to test it tomorrow morning to see if it remains connected now that it has successfully connected at least once. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: kelpcar
I logged into the Orbi system and turned off the 5ghz network, and that seemed to allow the Gen 3 Wall Charger to see and connect to the Mesh network. I now need to test it tomorrow morning to see if it remains connected now that it has successfully connected at least once. Fingers crossed!
I restricted the Tesla's guest account to 2.4ghz from the get-go. Our signal has to pass through multiple walls to get out to the garage and the slower frequency is less attenuated by obstructions.

I restricted the Tesla's guest account to 2.4ghz from the get-go. Our signal has to pass through multiple walls to get out to the garage and the slower frequency is less attenuated by obstructions.
Looks like I have the same issue. I've the Orbi RBR750 router. Could you please let me know how to setup 2.4GHz for Tesla ? I don't see a restriction under guest account when I log in as admin in Oribi router account. Any links or steps are much appreciated!!

Looks like I have the same issue. I've the Orbi RBR750 router. Could you please let me know how to setup 2.4GHz for Tesla ? I don't see a restriction under guest account when I log in as admin in Oribi router account. Any links or steps are much appreciated!!
Sorry I have a different router. If yours doesn't have the option you might try looking under access controls. You may be able to configure a MAC filter that limits access to a particular band for your car's specific MAC address.

if it lets you set different AP names for each band, then you just configure the Tesla to connect to the 2.4 band.