Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't let me charge to 100%

Carol525

Member
May 27, 2019
81
46
Chula Vista, CA
I have a trip this morning so I filled to 95% last night & tried to top of the remaining 5% just now, but it says "Charge complete" and won't take any more. I drove it around the block but it still won't charge any more. Any advice?
 

ucmndd

Well-Known Member
Mar 10, 2016
7,022
13,814
California
This is not uncommon if you haven’t charged to 100% in a long time. Has happened to me 2-3 times.Try to discharge down below 30% or so once or twice and then back to 100 again, it should recalibrate.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Big Earl

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
5,955
11,282
Springfield, VA
This is not uncommon if you haven’t charged to 100% in a long time. Has happened to me 2-3 times.Try to discharge down below 30% or so once or twice and then back to 100 again, it should recalibrate.

This, exactly. You aren't going to get it any higher until you go through a few full charge cycles. Go ahead and head out on your trip and plan a Supercharger stop at a convenient point.
 

ucmndd

Well-Known Member
Mar 10, 2016
7,022
13,814
California
The good news is your battery likely IS “full”, the SoC algorithm just needs to catch up. So you’ve got all the mileage you need for your trip.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Big Earl

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
10,889
13,635
San Diego
This is not uncommon if you haven’t charged to 100% in a long time. Has happened to me 2-3 times.Try to discharge down below 30% or so once or twice and then back to 100 again, it should recalibrate.

It has happened to me too but not so sure about the identification of the issue here.

I recently charged to 100%, 306 miles. But then a few days later it got stuck at 98%, 299 miles. So not sure it has anything to do with BMS confusion.

To me it seemed like an issue with it needing a certain charge current to get a session started. If you are too close to the top it can’t get started again.

It seems like a bug to me.

Personally, if I really needed the charge, I would use the heat to draw down to 92% or something and try again.

For me I really wanted those 7 extra miles - needed to get to Vegas (283 miles). Did some drafting and slight slowing to be sure I made it.
 
Last edited:

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
10,889
13,635
San Diego
Happens to me too - If you open the app - then click Charging - it will start charging again.

Very annoying.

Yeah I found this to be a real bummer when I really wanted those 7 miles and I had no LTE access for the phone or my car! So I knew this might help, but had no such option! Very important to have LTE access for these functions to operate. Bluetooth has insufficient bandwidth :rolleyes:.

I made it though. Just had to draft a bit.
 

goldengate

Member
May 9, 2018
402
470
san rafael,ca
In one of his recent videos or streams, Bjorn Nyland said that the Model 3 will not normally charge again until you drop to 93%. He also said that it will stop at 99%.

THIS!! Thank goodness I saw this thread last night... same issue...was at 94% after being at 100% and it said "charging complete"... I had to drive around and get it under 94% then it allowed me to charge again over 100. Lesson learned on my part... no "rehearse charging" 2 night ahead of a long trip! :):)
 

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top