Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't Shift in to Reverse or Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone thought to call Tesla and let them look at the logs when this happens?

Yes. They noted it and someone from the diagnostic team called back later and suggested that I unpair my phone from the phone key and audio book and then re-pair it.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to test this long term but maybe someone else can see if this helped...

Just went out to try this (no key card with me - just iPhone). On 18.13. Chose my car on Tesla APP. Disconnected charge cable. Opened door using latch. Sat down. Closed door. No seatbelt. Foot on brake. Moved stalk to 'R' - no problem. Moved stalk to 'D' - no problem.

Tried several times but couldn't replicate your problem.

When latest update was installed I did hard reset as always.

Hope this helps.

You're suggesting simply turning off bluetooth on the phone while I am laying here on the couch and then turning it back on will improve the situation? I think that's what you said but not sure what that would do. The phone gets shut down every night. I'd be stoked if this works though

That is correct. Doing that fixes most phone entry/use issues. Just get into the habit of doing that after OTA updates or if you haven’t driven the car for a few days and it’s been sleeping. Only takes a few seconds to do and eliminates most entry and use frustrations.

• Helpful
Reactions: RenMan68
I suspect this is not a bluetooth issue since there was no prompt on the screen to place the key card on the center console to enable driving or anything like that. Everything with the Model 3 appeared normal with the exception that it would not shift out of park. Both times this happened to me I was able to shift out of park after about a minute or so of trying to shift to D or R. I didn't do anything with bluetooth settings on my iPhone during either occurrence.

Same issue... I think my brake pedal could be sticking. Next time it happens, check if it's still depressed when you let off with your foot. I know that doesn't make sense (why would having the brake pressed cause it not to go into D or R?). I've noticed this twice now. Maybe the software is in an unknown state (no pressure on the brake but still braking/holding). Maybe this plays into the comment on being on a slight hill and how Hold works.

Just happened to me and I’m on the newest version of software (with summon). Rebooting car did not work. Ended up driving with the card key but had to get out of the car, lock it and unlock and get in again. The phone unlocked the car just fine, it just wouldn’t get out of park. Hard rebooted phone (iPhone 6) and it worked fine the next time I got in

This has happened to me twice (with summon version as well). Happened to me in the past 2 weeks twice. One time I sat in the car for a good minute and it wouldn't switch gears. I did a soft reboot and it didn't fix it. I waited another minute, walked out of the car and came back in. Waited some more.. and it finally let me switch.

2nd time I restarted it and it worked immediately. Hope this bug gets fixed soon.. I did do a voice bug report as well.

Reactions: pcpro
Three times today I had a problem where the car would not shift into gear. My foot was on the brake and I pushed the lever up and the car would not go into reverse. I then tried to put it into drive and nothing.

One time I got out of the car and back into it and put my phone into the cup holder and then it worked. Another time I kept trying and put my phone into the cup holder and it worked. The last time I kept trying (with the phone on my lap) and it worked.

Anyone else with this problem? Two of the three times I was headed to a meeting and thought holy crap the car is not “starting.”

Not had that problem but something that may be related if you have easy exit enabled. -“I’ve noticed that my first attempt to shift into gear typically starts the seat/wheel adjustments. To get it into gear I have to release the breake and press again before shifting into gear.

Three times today I had a problem where the car would not shift into gear. My foot was on the brake and I pushed the lever up and the car would not go into reverse. I then tried to put it into drive and nothing.

One time I got out of the car and back into it and put my phone into the cup holder and then it worked. Another time I kept trying and put my phone into the cup holder and it worked. The last time I kept trying (with the phone on my lap) and it worked.

Anyone else with this problem? Two of the three times I was headed to a meeting and thought holy crap the car is not “starting.”

I had that happen today. It occurred after I got out of the car briefly and then back in. It also occurs when you sit in the car for a while without driving. On screen it was asking for authorization using the key card. I tossed my wallet on the center console and it worked normally.

I had this happen and started a new thread, will ask mods to merge it here. Here is my post (fwiw I never got the key card message). How do I submit a bug report with voice control?

How do I submit a bug report with voice control?

Activate voice control and then say “bug report” immediately followed by a description of the bug. For example say “bug report car will not shift into drive or reverse”.

You’ll see a “thank you for your feedback” message on the screen after it has been submitted. I believe a screenshot of the touch screen is also sent along with some log files when a bug report is submitted from the vehicle.

Here is my guess - I am no expert. Seems to be a security protocol is not being passed to allow drive. Thus the request for card and/or card and BT fighting when in the car as to which will authenticate. Like turning on computer, bios check is door open, OS boot is car start, but then need password to login and use computer.

Activate voice control and then say “bug report” immediately followed by a description of the bug. For example say “bug report car will not shift into drive or reverse”.

You’ll see a “thank you for your feedback” message on the screen after it has been submitted. I believe a screenshot of the touch screen is also sent along with some log files when a bug report is submitted from the vehicle.

Thanks...In “hey Siri” fashion I was saying “submit a bug report”.