Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't Shift in to Reverse or Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I did put in a call and received the standard 'Try rebooting the car' response. But at the very least he did log my concern. I'll have to write down that report bug in the voice control. I was going to do that right when it happened but couldn't remember what phrase to use.

Hello! I would like to add my 3 cents... Since both the car and the phone are computers, do basic "computer" fixing steps. I start with my phone - is the app up to date? Is the OS up to date? Reboot (how often do people reboot their phones?? I work in IT, I'm always asking - some people have *never* rebooted the phone, they wait for updates to do it. Oh no!) Usually that does the trick (Tesla unlocks quickly, drives perfectly, app is responsive...) Or, do you have a very old phone that no longer updates? Get a new one or use the key card.

If that doesn't work, reboot the car computer. I only had to do this twice - both times when first delivered. Hold both scroll buttons down (on the steering wheel) until the Tesla logo appears, then release the buttons.

And, I'd like to share that at first we weren't getting Tesla software updates and we were several versions behind everyone else. I discovered that the service center forgot to mark our car "delivered". Once they did that, we got updates as expected.

Reactions: Raechris
Hey thanks for the tips! Yes I have an old Pixel 1 phone. I turn it off several times a week and also turn the blue tooth off and on several times during the week. The phone OS and Tesla app are up to date. I don't really do the car soft reboot much, but I do try to turn off the car once a week through the safety and security screen. Although maybe I'll start doing both weekly.

I wonder if pushing the brake pedal makes a difference during a soft reboot. When I was on the phone with the help center today, in addition holding the scroll wheels, he said to push the brake too. I've always done the soft reboot like you said where I'd only hold the scroll wheels.

I've had this happen a number of times over the last month or so. Brought my M3 into service this week for a trunk alignment issue and mention this. Rep speculated it might be an occupancy sensor issue (detecting someone is sitting in the driver's seat). He suggested getting a time stamp the next time it happens, but warned me that there are long waits for techs to review logs and diagnose (though they can do remote).

I wonder if this is related to the turn signal problems? They have been fixed by replacing the steering column control module, which also replaces the shifter stalk. We have the turn signal problem (most often get continuous blinks instead of just three with a light press). We have also had a problem getting into reverse, although drive worked. Seems like a flakey control module in both cases.

Yea its not a phone problem, if you try to hit the remote start button when this happens it will say something like "Car is already authorized to drive". It's been an intermittent bug for at least 9 months now :(

Yea its not a phone problem, if you try to hit the remote start button when this happens it will say something like "Car is already authorized to drive". It's been an intermittent bug for at least 9 months now :(

Exactly. Thats' what I tried the other day. Phone unlocked car. Steped on brakes and seat adjusted and car appeared to start but could not shift. I used the app to try and "start" the car and got the message that the car was already running. So I wonder too whether it is NOT a phone problem. Have you had any definitive discussion with Tesla that corroborates that it is not the phone? I understand the logic you're using with the set of circumstances you've described (and I have experienced) but wonder if it could still be a phone thing.

I have had my M3 for a month, and also have an iPhone X. I have been on 42.3 for a week. For the first month, I just left my phone in my pocket and everything worked as expected. A few days ago, I had the problem listed here and consistently, could not shift into Reverse or Drive. I had to take out my phone and tap the screen to wake it up, to make it communicate. Following advice on another thread, I toggled Bluetooth off and then on from my iPhone. Function returned back to normal as before and I have had no further problem through multiple starts.