Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't Shift in to Reverse or Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been happening to me. What's worse is that one time I had 5 random errors populate where I wasn't even able to drive. I had to get towed. My Model 3 has been in the service center for over a week. Here was the issue:

"It looks like the headliner harness needs to be replaced which was causing a communication error with the car and causing the vehicle to fail firmware. The installation of the new hardness is a big job and will take some time."

I am able to pick my car up today.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The neutral gear in my P3D had the same issue. It wouldn't go to neutral. It would shift to P, R and back to D. I took it in and they checked it out and it was indeed defective so the good folks at Tesla replaced the module in the steering that controls the gear shift.

This one caught me.by surprise last night. Glad no one else was in the car to spoil my superiority complex. I reset using scroll wheels and was back to working.
If it happens again, here will be my sequence of checks and data to post:
- using card or phone
- using Android or iOS

- check if phone is locked/unlocked
- check if BT is paired to M3
- toggle BT off/on
- lock/unlock using the touchscreen
- lay the card on the console
- walk away and retry the approach
- reset with scroll wheels

Any others steps to try and get to a root cause?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Unable to put car into reverse this evening after grabbing a meal at McDonalds. I had entered the car using my phone and the car appeared to start, came out of easy entry mode and set seats and steering wheel to my profile setting. After 3/4 failed attempts I placed my wallet with key card on cup holder and it shifted no issues. I'm on 2018.48.21.1 in a M3D, car was built and delivered October 2018.

Happened twice (Jan 5th and Jan 7th) in morning on few month old M3. Tapping key card did NOT help and had to hard reboot both times (pressing brake and both wheels in the steering at the same time till Telsa logo shows up on the screen). Both the times, the car was parked overnight in the house garage and the only difference from normal behavior, that I noticed, was that the car brakes screeched while backing out of garage once I managed to put it is reverse.

This has happened to me about 5-6 times over the past few months. Couple times I would take my phone out of my pocket to video the problem but by the time I get the phone out and prepared to shoot video, it goes into gear. So for those who get out of the car or reboot the computer, I don't think that actually does anything, only the passage of time... maybe like 30 seconds. Try just waiting 30-40 seconds and see if it goes into gear then.

This just happened to me this morning. Using phone to get in car, it unlocked fine, released the charge cable, and set my seat profile, etc. but would not shift. I tried reboot and still the same, no shift. Notably, the car did not prompt to use the keycard, it behaved as if it had authorization from the phone but just wouldn't shift. I had no time to troubleshoot so took my other car.

v2018.50.6. Problem never happened before since delivery Dec 1 2018.

After I returned (1 hour later), I thought to try again but using the key card to eliminate the phone as possible cause. Everything was AOK and the car would shift. My wife later used her phone and everything worked for her too.

This just happened to me this morning. Using phone to get in car, it unlocked fine, released the charge cable, and set my seat profile, etc. but would not shift. I tried reboot and still the same, no shift. Notably, the car did not prompt to use the keycard, it behaved as if it had authorization from the phone but just wouldn't shift. I had no time to troubleshoot so took my other car.

v2018.50.6. Problem never happened before since delivery Dec 1 2018.

After I returned (1 hour later), I thought to try again but using the key card to eliminate the phone as possible cause. Everything was AOK and the car would shift. My wife later used her phone and everything worked for her too.
Same issue with me today - phone unlocked car - everything normal but stuck in park. Only time it’s happened to me. A hard reboot (with brake pedal) restored normal operations.

Also on 50.6.

Just happened to me today too. Prompted for the key card 3 separate times, and the first time it didn't even let me into the car with the BT. I'm 99% sure its the car, because I have 2 phones, and both of them are paired to the car as phone keys, and nothing worked.

Happened to me today. Version 2018.50.6 Entered by bluetooth, foot on brake, tried to shift into both reverse or drive and nothing. Used keycard to allow driving. Had the car not been 'on', it would cue the user to tap the keycard, so this is some sort of in between state.

Happened to me today. Version 2018.50.6 Entered by bluetooth, foot on brake, tried to shift into both reverse or drive and nothing. Used keycard to allow driving. Had the car not been 'on', it would cue the user to tap the keycard, so this is some sort of in between state.

That is different then when it happened to me. It wouldn't go into drive/reverse so I tried to use the card and got error message something like "car already activated" (or something similar). Even with using the key-card, still wouldn't go into drive.