TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Won't shift into D or R

Discussion in 'Model S' started by orangem, Apr 21, 2019.

1. orangem

orangem Member

Encountered something really odd today. I shifted into P to quickly drop my family off. Then I tried to shift into D. My 2015 refused to shift. After many attempts, I jumped out of the car, hoping a door lock and door unlock will reset it; and that did not work. Meanwhile cars were queuing up behind me and starting to get annoyed.
    So, it just struck me to power down and power up the car. This finally worked to let me shift into D.
    It never happened for my last 6 years with different model S. May be a new bug in the software. But a heads up, power down and power up will get you going again if you encounter this.

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

If that doesn't work, I hope you also remember the reboot procedure too.

3. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

Reboot. My wife called me from a supercharger location with the same issue. I had her reboot, exit the vehicle, lock it, and then try things again. All was back to normal.

4. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

Did you lift your butt out of the seat at all? I had my car freak out from that when I went to reach for something that slid across my dash. It put itself in park, then wouldn't go back into gear. This happened to me at a stop light.

5. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

This happened to me one time. I got out to get the mail and then couldn't *sugar* back into drive or reverse. I had to use the key card on the center part and then it was fine.

6. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Key card ???

7. orangem

orangem Member

I jumped out and back into the car multiple times to try to trigger it to shift to D. It did not work. So I do not think is my butt problem... ...

Probably the 2 scroll wheel reset would work, but that would be my last resort as that takes a few minutes. I was blocking a single driveway at that time and people were starting to be impatient..... Power down and power on by pressing brake pedal took my seconds.

He was probably referring to a Model 3.

8. NYL12

NYL12 Member

Happened to me today. Pulled into parking space and tried to out in park but the display stayed on “D”. I got out then back in. As there was a wall in front of me I tried to go in reverse, By moving shifter. While the “R” was not highlighted, it stayed in”D”, I carefully hit the accelerator and I moved backwards. Then moved shifter again and moved forward. Finally rebooted and everything went back to normal.

Very weird.