Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WON'T STOP CHARGING OR LET ME UNLOCK! :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened several times but this morning I got into work half an hour late and it's getting ridculous!

Basically I go to "stop charging" on the phone app but it won't then let me unlock because it says it's still charging.

When in the car the charging screen doesn't come up at all.

The only thing I have found that works is doing a rest by pressing the steering wheel buttons.

My brother complained abotu this at a supercharger but I thought he was being thick. Now I see it's true as it's happened a few times to me now.

What a horrible bug! Has anyone else noticed this? Any fixes/ideas?

Never happened to me. Only time anything close is I tried to unplug a couple times in the garage without a key in my pocket. I’m like WTF until I realize it’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to do.

Is this happening at home and Superchargers?

It happened to me the other day when I set my charging to 70% but had to leave early. At this point the car was charged up to 60% but I coulnt stop charging using the phone app or on the car charging screen. I changed the charging setting to 50% on the phone app and this stopped charging and was able to pull the plug.

This has happened several times but this morning I got into work half an hour late and it's getting ridculous!

Basically I go to "stop charging" on the phone app but it won't then let me unlock because it says it's still charging.

When in the car the charging screen doesn't come up at all.

The only thing I have found that works is doing a rest by pressing the steering wheel buttons.

My brother complained abotu this at a supercharger but I thought he was being thick. Now I see it's true as it's happened a few times to me now.

What a horrible bug! Has anyone else noticed this? Any fixes/ideas?

Sorry can you clarify. You can't UNLOCK your car from phone because its still charging? Can you unlock the car from the phone when the car ISNT charging? Which charging screen are you not seeing (the charge control popup or the full-screen charging display)?

If you unlock your car using the fob or the phone, you should be able to remove the Tesla charging cable afterward. Just press the button on the cable and hold it until charging stops (if you haven't stopped it previously), then remove the cable. If you have issues with this you may need to schedule an appointment using the Tesla app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hey folks, anyone else still experience it with all new updates? Basically stop charging button doesn't work for me. Not from car, not from app. Also charging screen sometimes isn't displayed when I press the charging button in menu.

I wonder could it be a hardware issue?

Ok, started digging and as described in a separate thread the solution is to set up any scheduled departure and then disable it. Stop charging is working now. Very weird.

Can’t stop charging

You shouldn't have to do that. I recommend you report this to Tesla using the app.

You can also try to reboot by pressing the two center scroll wheels for 10 seconds, and have your foot on the brake as well. Wait until the screen fully restarts, then press the two top buttons on either side of the steering wheel for the same amount of time with your foot on the brake.

I recommend you report this to Tesla using the app.

How exactly can I do that? I don't see how. I can either request a roadside assistance or request a service appointment.
Also check the related thread - someone spend an hour on a call with Tesla trying to solve this... I value my time and if I can solve this myself, I'd rather do it. Of course if there's an easy way to open a bug report - I can do it for the sake of fixing that bug.

Me too all the time. Now what I do is to lower the charge limit on the app when I want it to stop charging. A crock but it works. I feel like we need some really good joke line for Tesla inconsistencies. Miles ahead of the competition but they are sure full of inconsistencies. I am so appreciating TMI for making it clear that others experience what I do.