Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for ideas on what to wrap my wood dash with. Since there are so many threads, I figure it would be nice to have a single thread for everyone to post all their wood dashboard wraps! I would like to see what Model 3 owners have done to theirs!

Thanks for starting this thread! Great idea btw.

I have mine wrapped in 1080 3M White Carbon Fiber on a Pearl White Model 3.

White_Carbon_Fiber_Dash_Wrap_1.jpg
White_Carbon_Fiber_Dash_Wrap_2.jpg
White_Carbon_Fiber_Dash_Wrap_3.jpg

HelloJohnny - The white dash looks awesome. I was thinking about doing this, thanks for posting! Are you happy with how it looks in person?

Thanks! It looks great in person, originally I wanted a matte white but the shop that did the install said the grains/grooves of the wood would show through the vinyl so I'm happy I went with White Carbon Fiber. From a distance, it actually looks matte white.

Any reflection visible off the windshield? Did you DIY? If so, did you use a specific vendor for a kit?
No issues, it has a matte finish so no reflection issues from sun and windshield. I had a local shop do the install. They used 1080 3M vinyl for the wrap and use a heat gun to wrap the edges on the sides near the door since they were the more difficult to wrap. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Jimmy 1
3M Di-Noc has some great black wood wraps, that would be awesome.

I've been trying to find a 5 foot piece of di-noc or other cast formable wood grain vinyl with little luck. Most sellers only have 4 ft or 25 ft rolls and the price gap is enormous. A 2 piece install is an option but to be believable it shouldn't have any seams or folds.

Would like to see how you guys are wrapping the corners. All of the wrap kits I've seen are a simple fold and crease, but this looks cheesy and kills the realism IMO. Since the dash corner is in plain sight I've been trying to find a good way to stretch over the back and front 3 edge corner but haven't had good luck using sample pieces.

Biggest problem is the back corner where it meets the plastic. There just isn't a lot of room to pull the vinyl through and down cleanly and it keeps bunching up or tearing (takes a lot of stretch to get a clean 3 sided corner). The practical option is to fold and crease but even the best attempts don't look great.

Exaggerated example at the other end of the scale.

cheese.PNG

I bought the roll from Amazon (3m 1080 vinyl). A 12" x 60" roll was more than enough to DIY cover the wood trim and center console.

Can you share the direct link to the roll you bought? I've tried 2 of these (3m brushed black and vvivid aluminum) and they both had the grain running vertical.

Really want horizontal but both sellers said I'd have to buy a 5x5 roll for that.

Can you share the direct link to the roll you bought? I've tried 2 of these (3m brushed black and vvivid aluminum) and they both had the grain running vertical.

Really want horizontal but both sellers said I'd have to buy a 5x5 roll for that.

Unfortunately, what the sellers are telling you is 100% correct. If you want the grain to go horizontal then you'll have to buy the 60" x 60" roll. My 12" x 60" roll off Amazon (probably the same one you bought) is enough to wrap the wood trim however the grain is vertical as seen in my photos above.

I know @Kenriko is working on developing a pre-cut kit for the wood trim (and will most likely include the same brushed black option that he offers for his center console and door trim kit) but am not sure which direction the grain will go.

Unfortunately, what the sellers are telling you is 100% correct. If you want the grain to go horizontal then you'll have to buy the 60" x 60" roll. My 12" x 60" roll off Amazon (probably the same one you bought) is enough to wrap the wood trim however the grain is vertical as seen in my photos above.

Thanks!

It looks like the grain is running the long way on the roll unless I'm blind or that isn't 1 piece. The ones I've tried have it running the short way.

Anyone have pics of the black matrix on both the console and wood dash? trying to decide between the black matrix, black brushed metal, and carbon fiber. The carbon fiber pics I have seen seem a little too glossy. The black matrix gives a carbon fiber look but is more matte.

Reactions: Jimmy 1