TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Woodburn SuperChargers Found

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Frankc, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Frankc

Frankc Member

On my way back from TESLIVE this morning I decided to take a quick detour from the Airport to Corvallis.... At the Woodburn exit (mp 271), in the southeast corner of the Outlet Mall, I saw a trencher and horizontal boring machine. Upon closer inspection the pavement is market with notation regarding the utility easment, with 10 (or so) marked locations on the pavement. One other clue: look at the advertisement on the Giant Ad Board.
    SAM_1056.JPG
    SAM_1059.JPG
    SAM_1060.JPG
    SAM_1055.JPG

Thoughts?

2. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Handy overhead power could be the basis for a new form of wireless supercharging! ;)

But it would be the perfect location, hotels, tons of shopping... and Centralia to Woodburn is about 120 miles.

3. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

There are a couple of Blink chargers there, so that's what the ad is about. However, that does look like the start of a SC installation! 10 spots sounds right too considering Centralia. At this rate we can be going down to California in just a few months. I can't wait!

4. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

As I see it, Frankc's report along with an earlier report from the sub-contractor, clinches it. How sweet for me. A perfect 175 miles from my home, allowing me to skip Centralia and Portland when heading south.

5. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

Great find! Who is closest to Woodburn who can keep us updated with progress?

6. AndyM

AndyM Member

Woodburn SuperChargers Found !?

I live less than 20 miles away, and I may be the closest forum member to this site. I will post regular updates, as now I have a GREAT reason to drive a few miles every few days. When I get back from TESLIVE, of course.

Great job scouting, Frank!!

7. deonb

deonb Active Member

Fantastic!

Now we just need Reading, CA and with an overnight stop in Medford, 85's can do the entire West Coast using Superchargers only. I'm driving Seattle to San Francisco the day both of those come online!

8. Thumper

Thumper Member

Good spotting Frank. Now we need to find the southern Oregon site and keep and eye on it too.

9. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#9 PhilBa, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    Looking at the Fall 2013 setting on the map on the supercharger page, there are 4 Oregon locations. The Woodburn one has been known for some time. The southern one looks like Medford and there is one in between, could be Cottage Grove (Roseburg is a bit too close to Medford, IMO). If ADK is doing those as well, they should be getting good at it. 4 weeks from first site markings to completion seems about the norm. They did Centralia and Burlington in parallel so perhaps they are doing another I5 SC at the same time.

I'm still puzzling over the "Stayton" location. Seems dumb.

By the way, Ellensburg appears in the Fall 2013 group as well.

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I really hope it's Ashland and not Medford. Medford is not...a nice place.

I have some real horror stories from my kid having football games down there, behavior that makes it pretty clear Medford is still pissed off about things like, oh, having integrated schools. Just scary stuff, police and teachers having to protect visiting teams from hostile parents. It's not a place I'd want to spend any time in.

11. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

From a distance of almost 500 miles, the difference between Medford and Ashland seems small. However, the several times I've stopped in Medford did not leave me with a good impression (kind of run down). That said, I'd prefer Ashland but the reality is they will site it close to restaurants and shopping. Maybe the Shops at Exit 24.

12. ORWA

ORWA Member

My question is the Fall 2013 SC site southeast of Woodburn. My initial guess was Detroit lake heading through the Cascades to Central Oregon but there isn't much that I know about for shopping/eating. Anyone else have a guess for that location?

13. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I'll be passing by you heading north!

14. Frankc

Frankc Member

Anyone going by the Woodburn Factory Outlets this weekend? I'd like to see confirmation that work is progressing, and more indication that this is indeed the SuperCharger site.

15. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Went there Friday and didn't see much progress. Seems to early to tell - but the location looks about right.
    It's about 25 miles from here so shouldn't be hard to check by every once in a while (but I'm going the other direction next week to check out the Centralia one, first)

16. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

From the looks of those photos I would guess that you'll be up and running within a month. It was exactly 2 months from permit issuance to power up in Centralia. Groundbreaking was significantly delayed there and there was multiple re-inspections including UL approval hoops to jump through. If you have the same contractor, they might have this whole routine down pat by now.

17. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I would love that. Heading on a road trip to Bend in exactly a month and having the Supercharger in Woodburn would make things a lot easier (I wouldn't need to make sure I'm max charged before leaving on the way back...)

18. ORWA

ORWA Member

Here is what I received from the General Manager at the Woodburn Outlet mall:

Sorry, that's PGE working on underground lines for impending road construction. :)

Anyone believe her? She had the smiley face at the end of the email. I can't imagine what kind of road work they would be doing.

19. Tyl

Tyl Member

When I spoke to the Centralia WA crew two week ago when visiting the area they stated they were moving south to Woodland. They were probably as confused as I was and meant Woodburn. Oregon. They also said the northern crew (Burlington WA) was moving southeast to do another SCS installation. I wish I had inquired more to find out exactly where they were headed. My bad!
    I'm hopeful of being able to travel via the SCS superhighway from Phoenix to Vancouver by summers end and on to south Florida soon after that! It's exciting to see the progress that is being made, but it's like waiting for the MS... patience will pay off in the end, to be able to travel the SCS superhighway for free:)

20. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Thanks, Tyl. Southeast - maybe that means Ellensburg. It's in the Fall 2013 grouping from the Tesla Supercharger page, as are all 4 Oregon sites.