Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woodpecker noise from dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure it's a woodpecker and not a cuckoo bird? 🤔

Honestly, I don't hear anything remotely resembling a sound made by birds in your video. I even put on my headset and turned the volume all the way up. Still nothing.

Was hard to hear in the video... but with headphones and the volume up I was able to just barely hear it, and I've actually been hearing the same thing for a while in my car. I'd also be curious to know what this sound is. It happens quite often.

If you're able to get a better video to capture the sound a bit better, it might help others out to hear it, but that might be easier said than done. If I get a chance, i'll try to get a video as well.

Last edited:
Mine makes a ticking noise when I turn the heater on, but set air flow to low. Service center couldn't reproduce it. Aparently they only tested it on high. I showed them after the service appointment and they said they would document that I produced the noise from them. Never got fixed though.

Reactions: 1flossedm3
I have a clicking sometimes in the dash, drivers side near the windscreen.
Sometime fast sometime slow. No matter what the speed it is like a metronome ticking. Constant and accurate.
I had Tesla look into it, they said it might be an actuator valve used in the heating.
The sound for me is only there during the initial heating and lasts for a few minutes till it warms up.

Reactions: father_of_6
following for sure, cause this is definitely the noise I hear as well.

@musculobog if you end up figuring out what it is, please update this thread as I'm very curious to know myself.
Someone replied on a Facebook group that his 2022 SR is in the Tesla shop with exactly this sound and they are replacing the heat pump 🤯 fml brand new car....he also said the car is there for 3 weeks now because Tesla doesn't have a replacement

Someone replied on a Facebook group that his 2022 SR is in the Tesla shop with exactly this sound and they are replacing the heat pump 🤯 fml brand new car....he also said the car is there for 3 weeks now because Tesla doesn't have a replacement
ugh lovely!

Guess i'll make an appointment soon for them to hear it, but I can't afford to leave my car for weeks lol

please do
@musculobog another update. Ended up dropping off the car this morning for the issue. I was able to reproduce the issue with the tech in the car. He said it’s hard to say as it could be the heat pump and/or solenoid working normal with the cold conditions but said it’s possible it could be something as well. He said it’s 50/50 but won’t know until they get in there and inspect. I’ll post here later when I get an update from them on if it’s an issue or not.

Lately I started hearing a “clicking” or “ticking” sound eminating from the vent in front of the driver when the car is cold and the heat ramps up, after a couple of minutes it goes away. So I guess it’s some piece of plastic reacting to the temp change. FYI I own a 2022 Y built in Aug 2022.

@musculobog Just got an update this morning that my car is ready for pickup. As per the tech notes, everything is working normal. Here is what was said on the notes:

Was able to duplicate slight noise upon arrival. was able to duplicate noise during service while observing hvac system and did not find anything concerning. hvac system is working as designed. advise customer to monitor situation.