Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woot! 1st Referral...Now What?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome! You should receive an email soon from Tesla letting you select a Radioflyer Tesla or a Tesla Wall Charger. We picked the miniatured Tesla for the grandkids. Crazy thing about the referral program is that it seems to be broken right now. I have had two additional friends take delivery but I've not heard a word from Tesla. I've also had another friend who gave my referral code but I never saw his name appear on my referral list but he did get the unlimited supercharging. Not sure what's up with these past three referrals. :-(

I am still waiting for the charger referal reward from March, if that helps give some kind of reference. Referrals run on Elon Standard Time, of which we know very little about except that it runs a lot slower than Earth time.

Bottom line, don't make any time sensitive plans for the rewards. For example, if you were planning to charge from 120V until your award charger comes you'll be miserable. If you're taking the ride-on car, consider that your kids might outgrow it by the time it arrives (and definitely don't count on it being their Chrismas present!).

The referral program is by far the most (and perhaps the only) negative aspect of my Tesla ownership experience thus far.
As an existing S75D owner, I referred myself when I ordered my X100D at the end of April this year, which was delivered at end of June.

As a referee, I was supposed to get $500 service credit. I didn't get this until mid August and not until after several very painful calls. During some of those calls, I had to show them a URL on Tesla's website that describes the referral benefits as they apparently weren't even aware of the credit thing. I then also had to prove to them I ordered when I did (by forwarding them the order confirmation email) when they should've discovered all the facts of my order from their own system!

As a referrer, I was supposed to get either the HPWC or kiddie Tesla. To this date, I still haven't received any notification about this at all. Keep getting an error when trying to view it through the app. And that's after multiple inquiries filed from Tesla Account and 2 phone calls so far, with the latest one being just today. Talked to a rep that said the problem would be resolved in 1-2 days. When I pointed out that that's exactly what the rep I talked to 2 weeks ago said, the rep today said the other rep didn't know what they were talking about. Sigh.

Saying it's an extremely poorly-run program would be very kind...

• Informative
Reactions: KyleDay
One other note. Check your junk mail folder for emails from Tesla, or setup a mail rule to never junk them. This includes the email they send to have you choose the reward.

They have their mail SPF record incorrectly configured and pretty much all those mails for me came from a server which is not on the official list of tesla.com mail senders, which automatically makes it less trustworthy to the mail servers which check it. Deep in the metadata for the mail my server attaches a message such as this one:
Code:
Received-SPF: SoftFail (your_mail_server_here: domain of transitioning [email protected] discourages use of 192.28.144.15 as permitted sender)

Emails from employees don't have this problem, only their automated or salesforce generated ones from support.

• Helpful
Reactions: Buster1 and KyleDay
Not sure of others here experiences with this idea, but I didn’t care that it was a “signature black signed by musk HPWC” so I called and asked them to just send a regular one and bam a week later I had it.

Not sure if maybe I just got lucky and maybe someone took pity on me or what, but for me it worked out.

The status of my latest/only referral is a wild and weird ride. A little over 3 weeks ago I had a friend order an X which showed up in the app as being ordered. About a week later it showed that it was delivered, so I congratulated her on her new car. A day or two later it was no longer marked as delivered and back to being marked as ordered. On Monday I asked if she ever received her car, and she said no. Almost immediately after that conversation the app started showing it as delivered two weeks prior.

I sincerely have no idea what is going on.

Not sure of others here experiences with this idea, but I didn’t care that it was a “signature black signed by musk HPWC” so I called and asked them to just send a regular one and bam a week later I had it.

Not sure if maybe I just got lucky and maybe someone took pity on me or what, but for me it worked out.
I don't care either but got a reply stating "We are not able to change the reward for the referral program."

My friend took delivery today. My loot box is updated and says “1” under delivered. So that’s a start! It doesn’t appear I can do anything else on the app or in my account on the webpage.

So now I just wait for an email?