Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Word is that there will be a 3.3 second car soon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. It's just a matter of time. Considering that lithium ion density goes up at least 8% per year for the last 10 years, that just means that we'll keep seeing higher and higher battery pack sizes. more capacity = more power. more power + AWD = beyond insanity. Tesla would be insane *NOT* to do this.

Well this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. It's just a matter of time. Considering that lithium ion density goes up at least 8% per year for the last 10 years, that just means that we'll keep seeing higher and higher battery pack sizes. more capacity = more power. more power + AWD = beyond insanity. Tesla would be insane *NOT* to do this.

I agree, but I don't see it happening until late next year at the earliest.

if this can be confirmed that it would happen Q1 next year, you would see a majority of P85 (+) orders cancelled. Including mine. Going to make a bunch of calls tomorrow to see what I find out.

Sticking with 2015 at earliest. For the OP who threw this rumor out here, we need more details in order to be quasi believable. Otherwise this is pure guessing and not creditable.

Last edited:
Maybe roadster v2 will have 3.3s. Makes way more sense for that to be released before a new model s variant.
Tesla doesn't plan to have a true Roadster successor until after gen 3. Maybe an upgrade package for existing Roadsters is more likely. Swapping in the Model S drivetrain with an upgraded pack should have some interesting results.

Tesla doesn't plan to have a true Roadster successor until after gen 3. Maybe an upgrade package for existing Roadsters is more likely. Swapping in the Model S drivetrain with an upgraded pack should have some interesting results.
Sure, but that was planned before they found out they didn't even need to sell a 40Kwh version of the Model S and still have lines around the block. The supercar version could easily be placed higher in the priority list now that P85 and P85+ sales have proven the market for speedy electrics.

Sure, but that was planned before they found out they didn't even need to sell a 40Kwh version of the Model S and still have lines around the block. The supercar version could easily be placed higher in the priority list now that P85 and P85+ sales have proven the market for speedy electrics.
But Tesla doesn't really need a supercar as a halo car right now. Makes more sense to extend the Model S platform (Model X, maybe a coupe/convertible, wagon, etc) and leave the supercar to the smaller gen III platform (as planned). I think it's more likely that an AWD Model S comes out first than the next Roadster.

This is why I jumped through some hoops to get the buy back guarantee, in three years my plans are to sell (we could say trade in for sales tax purposes) my current car back to Tesla and buy their latest top of the line EV. I love this company!! :smile:

This is why I jumped through some hoops to get the buy back guarantee, in three years my plans are to sell (we could say trade in for sales tax purposes) my current car back to Tesla and buy their latest top of the line EV. I love this company!! :smile:
Did you finance it and then pay it off after six months? I'm considering that myself... Just to get the buy back guarantee. Part of me thinks these might be easy to sell as used in 3 or 4 years though. It would make it affordable.

Good God. The P85 is plenty as it is. I had occasion today to cut into another lane from a stop and floor it to get up to traffic speed quickly. Broke loose the back tires briefly due to the turn, grabbed traction and everything in the car went flying to the back! I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want more acceleration in a sedan...

Just my guess/thought. I've always felt that AWD alone would knock off .5 secs to 60 mph. Traction limits mean everything when you get under 4 secs. All it should take is a 200 hp motor driving the front wheels - I think the power from the batteries is already there.

When concept EVs go AWD, they almost always do it with a second motor (or 4th motor) since the motor is cheap, light and small. Given how this car is sold at least 50% to people focused on performance, it is a no brainer that they do AWD and bump the invertor up a little bit. A no brainer. The AWD will absolutely be a significantly faster car to 60 mph.

As far as timing, it should be purely a marketing decision. Do you want the even faster S to come out first or the Model X to come out first? I would split them by 3-6 months at least to keep the buzz going. It really is a production capability thing to decide which to do first. Given that we are approaching a year with the Model S (or have we hit it?), the AWD should be ready now. They are working on Europe first.

Good God. The P85 is plenty as it is. I had occasion today to cut into another lane from a stop and floor it to get up to traffic speed quickly. Broke loose the back tires briefly due to the turn, grabbed traction and everything in the car went flying to the back! I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want more acceleration in a sedan...

Remember, with AWD the back tires won't break loose. Improving the acceleration of the P85 by any meaningful degree requires AWD.

Last edited: