Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this theory that the new S is as much a reflection of Elon's life and driving right now as the original S was in 2012. Back then he was still schlepping kids around California, right? The original S was a fantastic family car, even more than the newer ones with the huge frunk and optional booster seats in the trunk.

From my visits to Texas I bet the yoke truly works fine for Elon's driving there.
I'm sure it does for him but we are past that. As a devoted Tesla owner, I shouldn't be thinking about holding onto my M3LR, rejecting my new S and getting into a different brand. Not many people give up their Iphones.

Reactions: McQ14
Thanks for your patience as my car is in and out of Tesla Service :)

A bit of an update, here are the raw photos of me building the SCCM cable you'll need to do ANY mods. This is a good thing to get done sooner than later if you want to do a mod of your own, as it is time consuming and requires you order specialty parts (the list is on my github repo).

These photos will be part of an instruction set/video in the future, but I wanted to share the raw photos now, as they are somewhat self explanatory...

Thanks for your patience as my car is in and out of Tesla Service :)

A bit of an update, here are the raw photos of me building the SCCM cable you'll need to do ANY mods. This is a good thing to get done sooner than later if you want to do a mod of your own, as it is time consuming and requires you order specialty parts (the list is on my github repo).

These photos will be part of an instruction set/video in the future, but I wanted to share the raw photos now, as they are somewhat self explanatory...

Thanks for this. I have all the parts. While we await your detailed instructions, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Are the pins crimped, soldered or both?
  2. I seem to be missing the step where the female connector is built. Am I correct to assume that it is just an exact match for male end?
  3. Finally, I see in the final photos where you split the blue wire. I didn't see those connectors on the github parts list. What type of connector is that?

Thanks for this. I have all the parts. While we await your detailed instructions, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Are the pins crimped, soldered or both?
  2. I seem to be missing the step where the female connector is built. Am I correct to assume that it is just an exact match for male end?
  3. Finally, I see in the final photos where you split the blue wire. I didn't see those connectors on the github parts list. What type of connector is that?
For #1, your wires do look tinned. Is that correct?
I answered #3. Looks like a ferrule connector. Easy to get on Amazon.

Hey folks, it turns out I did have a defective yoke. I had a number of service items and Tesla did a great job fixing all of them. To get the yoke replaced, I obviously reinstalled my old one and undid all of my work so that service wouldn’t have an issue replacing it.

I’ve had the car back for about two weeks and hadn’t gotten around to putting the wheel and stalks back on until today. It has given me a bit of a new perspective on the yoke.

When I got the car, I thought the yoke was fine. I made the wheel work and preferred it, but figured the yoke would do just fine even if I didn’t have a wheel option.

But as of now (that new perspective I mentioned above) I absolutely f*cking hate the yoke. I gave it a full two additional weeks with the replacement yoke and all I discovered was that i truly despise the yoke and never want it on my car again. I’m keeping mine to sell with the car someday, but it will sit in a box until then.

The Model 3 wheel is magnificently balanced and (imo) more minimalist than the Christmas tree worth of lights on the yoke. I love it all over again. Drive whatever you prefer, but for me, it will be the wheel, forever.

It is just fine to love it or hate it. I counter your strong hate with a 180 degree absolutely LOVE the yoke and would hate the car with all of those appendages sticking out of the steering column. That being said, as a fellow maker and tech lover I am very interested in the progress of your project 👍🏼

It is just fine to love it or hate it. I counter your strong hate with a 180 degree absolutely LOVE the yoke and would hate the car with all of those appendages sticking out is the steering column. That being said, as a fellow maker and tech lover I am very interested in the progress of your project

It is just fine to love it or hate it. I counter your strong hate with a 180 degree absolutely LOVE the yoke and would hate the car with all of those appendages sticking out of the steering column. That being said, as a fellow maker and tech lover I am very interested in the progress of your project 👍🏼
Dude, we know. You’ve shared your opinion multiple times in this very thread. I am happy you like the yoke, but the unique perspective you don’t have Is the chance to try both in the Plaid.

I appreciate that you’re enjoying the journey here, but your opinions don’t really add to the conversation until you’ve done a comparison between the two on this particular vehicle. Everyone knows what a wheel is like on another car. That doesn’t mean the experience is identical.

Edit: and also, this isn't yet another yoke vs wheel comparison thread. This is literally a thread about converting to Stalks (and optionally a wheel). There are plenty of those threads on here, all of which would love everyone's differing opinion. It has been annoying to hear someone "well, actually" me every single time I post something about the Yoke. It has had a large part in me ignoring this project for long periods of time, because when I post new info/videos, I get to hear the same tired lines over and over from Tesla fans.

Last edited:
Dude, we know. You’ve shared your opinion multiple times in this very thread. I am happy you like the yoke, but the unique perspective you don’t have Is the chance to try both in the Plaid.

I appreciate that you’re enjoying the journey here, but your opinions don’t really add to the conversation until you’ve done a comparison between the two on this particular vehicle. Everyone knows what a wheel is like on another car. That doesn’t mean the experience is identical.

Edit: and also, this isn't yet another yoke vs wheel comparison thread. This is literally a thread about converting to Stalks (and optionally a wheel). There are plenty of those threads on here, all of which would love everyone's differing opinion. It has been annoying to hear someone "well, actually" me every single time I post something about the Yoke. It has had a large part in me ignoring this project for long periods of time, because when I post new info/videos, I get to hear the same tired lines over and over from Tesla fans.
FWIW, I very much appreciate what you're doing here, and plan to keep following your work for as long as you're willing to keep it up. I have a MX coming off of lease in June, and neither of us want to buy a new one with the yoke. Some people love it and that's ok. We don't. So thank you for even sharing what you're doing with the rest of us in the first place. You didn't have to, and it is appreciated.

Reactions: gbailey and rhuber
Been following this thread for a long time. It is more relevant than ever as I finally get to pick up my S next week. I am going to be open minded but this was the part I dreaded from the beginning about the car. As an engineer it was one of the WTF? moments.

I have saved every link I can find regarding anything and everything about getting rid of the yoke to be prepared in case I hate it. The car is too expensive to not have it like you want it.

Thanks for all the work you've put into this @rhuber!

Reactions: rhuber
I will say, that the yoke is absolutely one of the most beautiful and coolest things I have ever seen in a car. At the same time, I will agree that everything that @rhuber said is spot on. The yoke makes absolutely zero practical sense. It looks frickin’ cool, and I love it for that, but it ends there. I have yet to see one rational argument that makes the yoke better than a wheel, except for the coolness factor. Not one. I dare someone to prove me wrong. Every single person who likes the yoke has at best said they adapted to it. I still plan to keep it, but desperately want the stalks. Even then, I may still add the wheel. One step at a time though. I just pray that my love for the yoke doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass and cause me to get in an accident. That is a kind of irony that I just don’t need.

I made a new prototype for someone to test, and was able to make it much more compact. This does everything, aside from gear selector (PRND). 100% LIN (no CAN).
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 6.02.58 AM.jpg

I will say, that the yoke is absolutely one of the most beautiful and coolest things I have ever seen in a car. At the same time, I will agree that everything that @rhuber said is spot on. The yoke makes absolutely zero practical sense. It looks frickin’ cool, and I love it for that, but it ends there. I have yet to see one rational argument that makes the yoke better than a wheel, except for the coolness factor. Not one. I dare someone to prove me wrong. Every single person who likes the yoke has at best said they adapted to it. I still plan to keep it, but desperately want the stalks. Even then, I may still add the wheel. One step at a time though. I just pray that my love for the yoke doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass and cause me to get in an accident. That is a kind of irony that I just don’t need.
Agreed. I made the same argument as you. You get used to a pair of shoes, not a $100k car. Tesla is missing out on a huge opportunity to sell more Model S’s once Texas opens to alleviate Model Y productivity in California. I have an S on order but am hesitant to take it.

Reactions: JJS in AZ and McQ14