Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What has two thumbwheels and is now fully functional on my Plaid?

IMG_4308.jpg

Also, I take back what I said about the yoke a bit ago. It is not x/y coordinate based, it is just four pressure values from each side. Each of the pressure values correspond directly to haptic buttons (the light up bits). That said, I'm pretty sure the combined inputs _can_ be used to create new virtual buttons on the yoke surface, so I'm still going to play with that.

It also backs up my assertion that the cruise control haptic button IS A BUTTON, because it literally is.

You are the man! Great job. If you read here in the site, I recently cancelled my MS LR because I hated not having turn signal stalks and a horn button. Wish I would have kept my order, because your solution is perfect for people like me.

Reactions: rhuber
Have you done any other hardware mods and/or messing around with car software/CAN/etc in the past with forum threads detailing the progress? This is really cool and just wondering if there's anything else fun to go back and read.
I've done a lot of tinkering, but not anything I've shared before. I'm going to share things unrelated to this mod as time allows.

Reactions: McQ14 and bedoig
So cool. Question: what happens when Tesla sends out software updates? Does that require reprogramming?
It is always possible they will change things at any time, but most of what I'm using here has been stable in the firmware for years. I'd say there is a high likelihood folks will need to do an update if they have this for a few years, but just hard to guess. I designed this to all be unobtrusive, and with wifi update capability so that you don't have to dismantle the vehicle to update the controllers.

Reactions: McQ14 and cwanja
It is always possible they will change things at any time, but most of what I'm using here has been stable in the firmware for years. I'd say there is a high likelihood folks will need to do an update if they have this for a few years, but just hard to guess. I designed this to all be unobtrusive, and with wifi update capability so that you don't have to dismantle the vehicle to update the controllers.
Interesting. It seems like just about every other update was breaking other third party integrations, like the third-party powered liftgate.