Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. It seems like just about every other update was breaking other third party integrations, like the third-party powered liftgate.
I guess I can only speak to the mods I've been using in my car for a few years, which are admittedly less extensive than this. One key difference is that I'm fully emulating the yoke over LIN, so not depending on can injection at all. Because of how LIN works, I expect they will rarely, if ever, update the yoke's internal firmware. Even the responsiveness of the quacking haptics is controlled by VCleft, not the yoke itself. The changes they've made to the haptic responsiveness/controls have all been software changes that don't affect the LIN message format they've been using.

Version 2.0 incoming. Just have to figure out where to mount some scroll wheels.

118888857-very-old-vintage-interior-of-a-old-timer-school-bus-dashboard-with-steering-wheel-of-a-retro-vehicle.jpg

Sure is fun to have control of the controls...

"Thinking Outside The Rectangle, Episode 1: Suspension"

(currently unlisted, but I'll make it public once youtube finishes processing the HD version)

This is another fantastic, brilliant, and necessary mod! Kudos! Thank you for continuing to share your (very funny) videos and your knowledge. I really appreciate what you're doing.

Okay folks, I know I keep saying I'll share more info, but I'm finally ready to do so. I changed parts and approaches many times, and didn't want a bunch of people to buy things I wouldn't end up using, but here is (probably) the best I can get to w/o a custom PCB (which may or may not happen without my direct involvement anyway).

3x CAN busses (necessary for all features. 2x LIN busses (because we have to MitM the LIN bus in the steering column and emulate the yoke). And a bunch of screw down terminals allowing us to analog read the stalks. Everything powered by a Teensy 4.1. I am still not 100% certain this is the board to use, but it ticks most of the boxes. DO NOT run out and buy this stuff quite yet, please, but know more info is coming now that it does everything I want...

20211108_100200_IMG_4334.JPG

Random disconnected thoughts follow:

In another post somewhere you mention MITM the CAN bus which seems a little scary, but if I'm understanding this scheme correctly, you're only (or it's possible to only) getting in the middle for the signals from the stalks themselves, leaving the stock SCCM and wheel stuff alone.

Have you uploaded code to the github page? I wasn't able to find any. As a programmer myself I was very excited to find this would be possible.

I planned to install a custom wheel anyway, one that looks more "luxury vehicle" and less "xbox 360". For me the yoke concept is fine but Tesla's implementation leaves much to be desired. Stalks with custom functions is just icing on the cake, and you demoed the exact feature that I had had in mind- manual controls for the air suspension height. It seems great minds think alike

Reactions: oktane

In another post somewhere you mention MITM the CAN bus which seems a little scary, but if I'm understanding this scheme correctly, you're only (or it's possible to only) getting in the middle for the signals from the stalks themselves, leaving the stock SCCM and wheel stuff alone.

Have you uploaded code to the github page? I wasn't able to find any. As a programmer myself I was very excited to find this would be possible.

I planned to install a custom wheel anyway, one that looks more "luxury vehicle" and less "xbox 360". For me the yoke concept is fine but Tesla's implementation leaves much to be desired. Stalks with custom functions is just icing on the cake, and you demoed the exact feature that I had had in mind- manual controls for the air suspension height. It seems great minds think alike
Some functions of the SCCM are LIN based and others are CAN based. Depending on what features you want to customize it may be one or the other.

Reactions: rhuber

I haven't posted code yet, but am working to pare things down and will soon-ish.

"I don't not hate the yoke."

A+++ 😁
He really hit the nail on the head. The yoke is really, really cool, and... well, that's about it. I am confident that I will enjoy it on highway drives, and be mildly annoyed by it on my daily city use, especially because I do a ton of backing into parking spots multiple times a day. If I can flip back and forth between a wheel and yoke very easily, I may just use the yoke for my long trips.

Reactions: McQ14