Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I actually tested this by turning off my Bluetooth and letting the car sleep, then I woke it with the app while I was standing next to it so I could see if the uniden logo showed up, as it does on startup. Is it possible you just didn’t wait long enough for the car to sleep?
You are right, this is my first Tesla so I didn't know I had to let it go to sleep before that acc would power off. So all is working properly.

Reactions: rhuber
Happy holidays folks. I promise I'm still working on things. Your patience will be rewarded with a very nice working system that hopefully requires little-to-no tweaking to work well.
Thanks for all the hard work you’ve put into this so far!
Looking forward to having a proper round wheel and stalks in my Plaid early next year.
Happy holidays everyone!

Hope everyone has had a break from the day to day...
Also following this with great interest - interested enough that the trim and steering mechanism with stalks have arrived from ebay over the last couple of days and the mouser order is in. The huge mouser lead time doesn't matter for me as I'm in the UK so won't be seeing the car until at least the end of 2022...

@rhuber Thank you for all of your effort and hard work figuring this stuff out, I am absolutely loving everything about this project!
I reaaaaaalllly hope that the companies that you have been in-touch with will eventually be offering this upgrade service and honestly your videos highlight just how badly this needs to be an OEM option.

Extremely interesting, my compliments.
I am an electronic engineer (I own a Model 3) and made some DIY devices for my Tesla (an extra display, a PWS based on sound synthesizer)

Now to the point: I'd like to simulate lever movement in order to engage autopilot automatically on certain conditions. I could inject analog voltages in test points (as described in your video) in order to make control unit believe I'm moving the lever, but...is there a more intelligent - and doable - way to do this, eg via LinBus or CanBus ?
I never injected Can messages in my Model3, Just listened until now.
Thanks a lot !

Hey Ryan you shot video and were editing it to share, but I haven’t heard a damn thing since, what happened?

First, a story:

In the year 2000, a friend and I decided to do an engine swap in my '91 CRX Si. We ordered the engine from Japan, and it arrived in working condition in a couple of weeks. We researched how to do a swap, borrowed a cherry picker and complete set of tools, and got to it. It went smoothly, right until we had to remove a tiny hollow brass pin that linked the (manual) shifter to the transmission. You had to use a tap of exactly the correct width and a mallet to push the brass pin out and disconnect the linkage, so you could remove the engine+transmission. We used a tap that was less than a millimeter too small, and ended up going into the hollow portion of the pin, expanding it more, and delaying us 9 hours while we took turns under the car hitting it between smoke breaks. Finally, with enough silicon lubricant and force of will, that ****ing pin came loose. I'll never forget that.

... okay.... so uh where's the video?

As I was taking everything apart, a cheap screw sheared off in the worst possible location. I had to buy a screw extractor kit and a tiny drill bit, which totally didn't work. I did not want to destroy my plaid SCCM to remove the screw, so I bought the smallest diamond cutting bit I could find and eventually etched enough of a channel into the remnants that I could turn it with a flathead screwdriver. Success! Except not. As I was turning it, it broke in another place. I then had to dremel out the side of a shift stalk to get the stalk out of my SCCM.

So, folks. I'm back in business, but I lost a lot of time waiting for things to ship (some of which didn't work) and then hitting further roadblocks, but they were all related to a single solitary fastener. I still have the brass pin, and I'll keep this ****ing screw forever. I may frame them both together.

cheers!

D8176A4B-BE1D-4FD2-B744-D9914C3EEBB3.jpeg

Hey Ryan you shot video and were editing it to share, but I haven’t heard a damn thing since, what happened?

First, a story:

In the year 2000, a friend and I decided to do an engine swap in my '91 CRX Si. We ordered the engine from Japan, and it arrived in working condition in a couple of weeks. We researched how to do a swap, borrowed a cherry picker and complete set of tools, and got to it. It went smoothly, right until we had to remove a tiny hollow brass pin that linked the (manual) shifter to the transmission. You had to use a tap of exactly the correct width and a mallet to push the brass pin out and disconnect the linkage, so you could remove the engine+transmission. We used a tap that was less than a millimeter too small, and ended up going into the hollow portion of the pin, expanding it more, and delaying us 9 hours while we took turns under the car hitting it between smoke breaks. Finally, with enough silicon lubricant and force of will, that ****ing pin came loose. I'll never forget that.

... okay.... so uh where's the video?

As I was taking everything apart, a cheap screw sheared off in the worst possible location. I had to buy a screw extractor kit and a tiny drill bit, which totally didn't work. I did not want to destroy my plaid SCCM to remove the screw, so I bought the smallest diamond cutting bit I could find and eventually etched enough of a channel into the remnants that I could turn it with a flathead screwdriver. Success! Except not. As I was turning it, it broke in another place. I then had to dremel out the side of a shift stalk to get the stalk out of my SCCM.

So, folks. I'm back in business, but I lost a lot of time waiting for things to ship (some of which didn't work) and then hitting further roadblocks, but they were all related to a single solitary fastener. I still have the brass pin, and I'll keep this ****ing screw forever. I may frame them both together.

cheers!

View attachment 752206
Yeah, this is the point where I'd just say, "F*** it!", and sell the car. Lol!
Actually, it would have been long before this because I don't know how to do any of this stuff, but I'm totally fascinated by this!

• Funny
Yeah, this is the point where I'd just say, "F*** it!", and sell the car. Lol!
Actually, it would have been long before this because I don't know how to do any of this stuff, but I'm totally fascinated by this!
I mean it all works great and I'm happy. The only reason this broke is because I was taking everything apart to shoot a video. :)

I mean it all works great and I'm happy. The only reason this broke is because I was taking everything apart to shoot a video. :)

I should have put a sarcasm or facetious warning in my post. I'm totally awed by what you're doing, Ryan.
But I'm the guy who didn't pay attention in school and never learned how to do cool stuff like this. So my joke is always along the lines of "if anything breaks on me I'm going to just sell it."

I keep threatening to become more serious but I talk myself out of it every time.

Could you please post a photo of test points on lever PCB with description of function ? e.g. VCC (5V ? 3V3? 12V?), GND, ANALOG_VOLTAGE etc. ? So I can start designing some circuit without disassembly my steering wheel. Thank you very much.

Welp, I hate to have to take back what I said about videos this week, but my car is about to go in for service and if forum posts are any indication, I may not get it back for a while. My adaptive suspension has occasionally thrown errors since days after I picked up the car, but yesterday, with 1000 miles left on my road trip, it stopped working entirely, which turned the car into a floaty + sloppy mess. The car rightfully limits your top speed in this mode, because on anything but perfect roads it is dangerous to drive.

(and no, this has nothing to do with any modification to the car, period. this error happened from day one, but increased in frequency until ultimately failing during my long road trip over the weekend.)

Edit: and my signature below has said this was "probably" my last tesla for a while now, but given how annoyed I am with service/support over the years, it is being upgraded to "definitely"

Welp, I hate to have to take back what I said about videos this week, but my car is about to go in for service and if forum posts are any indication, I may not get it back for a while. My adaptive suspension has occasionally thrown errors since days after I picked up the car, but yesterday, with 1000 miles left on my road trip, it stopped working entirely, which turned the car into a floaty + sloppy mess. The car rightfully limits your top speed in this mode, because on anything but perfect roads it is dangerous to drive.

(and no, this has nothing to do with any modification to the car, period. this error happened from day one, but increased in frequency until ultimately failing during my long road trip over the weekend.)

Edit: and my signature below has said this was "probably" my last tesla for a while now, but given how annoyed I am with service/support over the years, it is being upgraded to "definitely"
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I, too, am having them. I brought my car in for 11 due items since purchase, and they fought me on every one, claiming "within tolerance", even doing so prior to even looking at the car.