Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp, I hate to have to take back what I said about videos this week, but my car is about to go in for service and if forum posts are any indication, I may not get it back for a while. My adaptive suspension has occasionally thrown errors since days after I picked up the car, but yesterday, with 1000 miles left on my road trip, it stopped working entirely, which turned the car into a floaty + sloppy mess. The car rightfully limits your top speed in this mode, because on anything but perfect roads it is dangerous to drive.

(and no, this has nothing to do with any modification to the car, period. this error happened from day one, but increased in frequency until ultimately failing during my long road trip over the weekend.)
Has Tesla service given you any trouble with the stalks/round wheel?

Self diagnosis complete. Rear passenger side. This wire is badly positioned and rubbed against the tire until it wore through. Wow. Stock size tires.

My plaid has 15k miles so perhaps you’ll want to check yours now, y’all.

6CD0EC6E-844A-4EBE-94F9-42617239F594.jpeg

Self diagnosis complete. Rear passenger side. This wire is badly positioned and rubbed against the tire until it wore through. Wow. Stock size tires.

View attachment 754334
Stock size tires, means not stock tires? Or not stock wheels? If everything is stock - happens, but luckily it's a super easy fix.

Stock size tires, means not stock tires? Or not stock wheels? If everything is stock - happens, but luckily it's a super easy fix.
I bought tempest wheels and had them put Pilot Sport 4 all seasons on instead of Pirelli. Others including @omarsultan have done the same. I took a profile photo and you can see this juts toward the tire for no reason. Def either a design or installation mistake. I guarantee it hits on my 21s with stock tires too. It really presses in there.

Edit: And as for “easy” it depends. This goes into a pretty beefy wiring harness and may be a bear for them to replace. I’m not going to accept a patch and some electrical tape.

I bought tempest wheels and had them put Pilot Sport 4 all seasons on instead of Pirelli. Others including @omarsultan have done the same. I took a profile photo and you can see this juts toward the tire for no reason. Def either a design or installation mistake. I guarantee it hits on my 21s with stock tires too. It really presses in there
Most probably manufacturing defect due to design shortcoming. Anyway, should be easy fix, so it's a good that it's not like pump or controller death or some communication loss.

View attachment 754334
Thanks for sharing. I scoped behind my tires and the wires look the same but are 3” from tire and more parallel.

8D913303-1EFF-4C20-A09E-C3D76967E30C.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rhuber
If you raise the suspension and take a photo looking down you can probably spot the issue. See here.
That first pic makes it look like an install error - the wire got looped behind the plug, pinched and pulled the whole assembly forward into the tire instead of being free like @SoCal Buzz 's pic. That sucks, but at least its an 'easy' fix. If you are ok with it I will send the pic to someone I know in Tesla eng. Maybe service would do that anyway, but maybe not.

View attachment 754334
This should be a recall item for Tesla. Crazy that they let something like this get through their quality control.

Reactions: tm1v2 and rhuber
It does sound fun.

Then again, for those who haven’t driven one yet, you might want to actually do that rather than assuming this is necessary... Lots of folks out there (myself included) who very much like the yoke and don’t miss stalks. That’s especially true after the latest software update which has improved the turn signals.
Yes “some” people do like the new set up but so many do not. I have two Teslas and an S on order that I won’t be taking. The two people I know personally with the car for about two months say they are used to it but are disappointed. One feels it’s dangerous. You can’t deny these comments. It’s not like a screen in the middle like when the 3 came out. This is about performance and safety. There is no legitimate benefit. As a TSLA share holder, I looked at the Cybertruck (two on order) as a game changer, now I am concerned about the cybertruck being an epic failure because of the yoke.

Reactions: McQ14
Yes “some” people do like the new set up but so many do not. I have two Teslas and an S on order that I won’t be taking. The two people I know personally with the car for about two months say they are used to it but are disappointed. One feels it’s dangerous. You can’t deny these comments. It’s not like a screen in the middle like when the 3 came out. This is about performance and safety. There is no legitimate benefit. As a TSLA share holder, I looked at the Cybertruck (two on order) as a game changer, now I am concerned about the cybertruck being an epic failure because of the yoke.
I've had mine since September and I'm still not loving the yoke, but I REALLY dislike the lack of stalks. I'm one of those people who feel it's not only not a benefit, but can be more dangerous in certain situations. Add to that the number of other issues I'm having with service for various items and I'm certainly less than thrilled with Tesla right now. This is my second Tesla, too by the way and I'm in no way one of the people that could be defined as a hater or someone not familiar with the cars and the company. I was an investor from day one of their IPO.

In my opinion, they seem to be doing things based a lot on what Elon thinks is "cool" and not what's necessarily best for the larger consumer market - other than the obvious making of electric vehicles. I get that. They have pushed other manufacturers into the space and that's a good thing. But they have to start doing better with their own vehicles.

I am totally
I've had mine since September and I'm still not loving the yoke, but I REALLY dislike the lack of stalks. I'm one of those people who feel it's not only not a benefit, but can be more dangerous in certain situations. Add to that the number of other issues I'm having with service for various items and I'm certainly less than thrilled with Tesla right now. This is my second Tesla, too by the way and I'm in no way one of the people that could be defined as a hater or someone not familiar with the cars and the company. I was an investor from day one of their IPO.

In my opinion, they seem to be doing things based a lot on what Elon thinks is "cool" and not what's necessarily best for the larger consumer market - other than the obvious making of electric vehicles. I get that. They have pushed other manufacturers into the space and that's a good thing. But they have to start doing better with their own vehicles.
I am totally adapted to the yoke now. After 2,000 miles and countless 3 point turns and backing in. Really feeling natural now. It is definitely not a secure as having a wheel, but for me, the cool factor makes it worth it. The lack of stalks sucks beyond belief. I am borrowing a car while my MS is in the shop for a bunch of due items (don't get me started on that. Tesla tries to fight me on every item, saying they are within spec), and there is a gear shift on the floor that is seamless. It just works. No one should have to search for and look at something to know what gear they are in. It should be second nature. There is absolutely no way that the screen scrolling can ever accomplish that.

Im in your boat exactly. Fibnally on honest online comment. We would all benefit if everyone just complained and maybe he would change his mind. Doubt it though.

I am totally

I am totally adapted to the yoke now. After 2,000 miles and countless 3 point turns and backing in. Really feeling natural now. It is definitely not a secure as having a wheel, but for me, the cool factor makes it worth it. The lack of stalks sucks beyond belief. I am borrowing a car while my MS is in the shop for a bunch of due items (don't get me started on that. Tesla tries to fight me on every item, saying they are within spec), and there is a gear shift on the floor that is seamless. It just works. No one should have to search for and look at something to know what gear they are in. It should be second nature. There is absolutely no way that the screen scrolling can ever accomplish that.
Correct, adapted (settling) but you would rather have stalks and a wheel. Not as secure (safe) Imagine a 3 pt turn and a car quickly approaching? Thank you for the honest review.