Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm talking to a few folks who are probably going to do this going forward. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to support/handle this myself, but I am certain it will be available as a kit or at least my instructions should be clear enough that anyone can do it with some minor assistance.

Also if folks want to order a few of the pieces I've finally put the initial BOM (bill of materials) on the github site. So far, this just gets you the connections you'll need to wire things in without modifying any of the stock harnesses/etc. Worth having these on hand, as the parts for this won't likely change and some can have long lead times:

Got my shopping cart full! How about the stalks? I think the link may be above, or in another thread. I was also told to make sure I got the right set-up. Can you link to an option on ebay?

Got my shopping cart full! How about the stalks? I think the link may be above, or in another thread. I was also told to make sure I got the right set-up. Can you link to an option on ebay?
any clockspring with stalks should be fine. and you don't even need the actual clockspring. it is generally cheaper to buy it all instead of trying to source the individual stalks, even though you won't use the round part holding them together.

note: i'm NOT endorsing this seller, but this is an example of what you need: 2017-2020 TESLA MODEL 3 STEERING WHEEL COLUMN SWITCH & CLOCK SPRING 1097662-00-D | eBay

Reactions: KevinY and McQ14
Thank you. Everything purchased. Well, everything except the darn car! I bought a few extra parts in case I screw up. After I get this operational, I may do it for a friend. He absolutely hates the yoke.

One big advantage is that Valets can drive the car now. I try not to use them, but inevitable here

Reactions: rhuber
Thank you. Everything purchased. Well, everything except the darn car! I bought a few extra parts in case I screw up. After I get this operational, I may do it for a friend. He absolutely hates the yoke.

One big advantage is that Valets can drive the car now. I try not to use them, but inevitable here
Funny anecdote about that:

There was a week where I had both stalks installed, but only the left one (turn signals) worked. We happened to be out of town for a long weekend. You know what confuses Valets more than the yoke and screen-based shifting? A shifter stalk that is in the car but entirely non-functional. Oops.

I'm talking to a few folks who are probably going to do this going forward. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to support/handle this myself, but I am certain it will be available as a kit or at least my instructions should be clear enough that anyone can do it with some minor assistance.

Also if folks want to order a few of the pieces I've finally put the initial BOM (bill of materials) on the github site. So far, this just gets you the connections you'll need to wire things in without modifying any of the stock harnesses/etc. Worth having these on hand, as the parts for this won't likely change and some can have long lead times:

I'm considering making a small purpose built board for this (perhaps with a few bonus features), but I really need a plaid to test it with.

I'm refreshing the UPS tracking link for 10 MCP2004A chips (worth approx $10.50 total) as though it is a UPS tracking link for the latest iPhone!

But for real, I did some video recording during the weekend for this project and work is still progressing. The chips mentioned above are the last bit of the puzzle and will allow me to change the behavior of the yoke (reassign buttons, change haptic feedback duck noise levels, turn heat on/off), and even replace the yoke with a round Model 3 wheel with functional scroll wheels.

I wish I had more time, but I'll share more info as time allows. 🙇

I'm refreshing the UPS tracking link for 10 MCP2004A chips (worth approx $10.50 total) as though it is a UPS tracking link for the latest iPhone!

But for real, I did some video recording during the weekend for this project and work is still progressing. The chips mentioned above are the last bit of the puzzle and will allow me to change the behavior of the yoke (reassign buttons, change haptic feedback duck noise levels, turn heat on/off), and even replace the yoke with a round Model 3 wheel with functional scroll wheels.

I wish I had more time, but I'll share more info as time allows. 🙇
The more I drive my S, the more I realize how much I want to do this. I really appreciate your posting all of this information.

I follow this thread intently as I am a coder/maker and respect and appreciate the project ! That being said....I love the yoke as it is :cool: and partially due to the clean design of not having any stalks. It takes a few more brain cycles sometimes to get to the turn buttons but otherwise all good. Back to the project, sometimes we do things because we can and I love the project !

I follow this thread intently as I am a coder/maker and respect and appreciate the project ! That being said....I love the yoke as it is :cool: and partially due to the clean design of not having any stalks. It takes a few more brain cycles sometimes to get to the turn buttons but otherwise all good. Back to the project, sometimes we do things because we can and I love the project !
Exactly! I have already bought most of the parts to make this happen, and may not even ever do it. I love a good project. I really want stalks just as an option. My wife will need a long range car to drive, and fear she will hate not having these.

Had a temporary setback thanks to 2021.36.5.1, which my car just received today. Tesla has changed the controls a bit, and removed the control where you hold the stalk halfway down to activate the signal without engaging it fully. This is because they made a number of changes to improve the haptic controls. I will have to emulate the old behavior, and it won't be _that_ difficult, but will take a bit of time. I guess I'm finally going to need a proper state machine.

Also this solidifies my stance on making this all wifi upgradeable, and continuing to use the Particle Photon devices. I'll provide more details as it goes. Also I'm glad to see tesla addressing the usability of the haptics in a positive way. They aren't nearly as bad now, but I still much prefer the physical controls. I'm especially happy with the control I added to activate homelink and use it every day. :)

Just know that, as always, I'm still working away on this in my spare time. The main reason I am not telling people what to buy quite yet is because I'm trying a number of different designs, and don't want folks to waste their money on less-than-optimal setups until I'm happy with a layout.

Why not use generic ESP32 with WiFi and BLE?
Certainly could, but a couple of reasons I just use Particle for this. (and it may change, hence me not telling anyone to buy)

1) The ability to flash over any internet connection is quite handy. I'm sure some type of cloud-flashing-thing is possible with esp32, but I enjoy being able to just type `particle flash [device]` and have it update from wherever I am sitting.
2) The carloop itself is a nicely designed small package and I've used it on other projects. There is no shortage of CAN options for esp32, but I like that the carloop is plug and play for folks who aren't as technical but want to add this to their car.
3) I have a pile of these from other projects. :)

edit:
4) It has an onboard multicolor LED that is extremely handy for debugging and signaling. I use it to help line up the ribbon connector in my code, by indicating green when everything is aligned correctly.

I'm open to changing to whatever platform works, and right now there just isn't anything optimal I can find. I need 8 analog inputs, 2x UART (for LIN), 1 SPI (connected to 2X CAN), and wifi. And the kitchen sink.

The most annoying part of all of this still turns out to be the LIN bus stuff, as there just aren't many good resources out there. I have things working but I really don't want to write and support a lib that does LIN, so I'm trying to use existing things w/o numerous changes. It isn't particularly difficult to speak LIN, but again I'd rather use off-the-shelf stuff that most folks can figure out, if possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitjockey and McQ14
Sounds like good reasons! I'm developing a laser projector DAC project with ESP32 and I have OTA(wifi) firmware updates. But it sounds like you have multiple reasons to go with Photon.

Looking forward to seeing this project develop!
That sounds awesome! I'd love to hear more about it.

Sorry for the very very long answer. I was kinda reminding myself the state of things indirectly there. It is a bit of a unique situation, because (in theory) i have multiple paths to send the signals I need, given they are duplicated between LIN and CAN. Figuring out the optimal setup when you get your choice is relatively difficult. I'm likely to lean more on LIN, since the transceivers are simple and cheap, which would mean only needing a single CAN connection.