Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Ryan @rhuber, great work with the customization of your Model S. The idea to control the suspension with the steering wheel buttons is just brilliant and I love your implementation with the steering wheel buttons. I was wondering if you use your device as a CAN Filter in order to control the suspension or if sending only some commands also works. We are trying to do something similar with our buttons but the connection we have has some limitations.

Reactions: Murtaya
I wouldn’t know what version broke it. Just heard through the grapevine that it is not working anymore.
If you are talking about my car, it is absolutely still working with zero changes on the latest Tesla firmwares.

The key is probably that I'm not using CAN much and I'm fully emulating the yoke's shitty haptics, and those LIN messages probably won't change often, if ever.

If you are talking about my car, it is absolutely still working with zero changes on the latest Tesla firmwares.

The key is probably that I'm not using CAN much and I'm fully emulating the yoke's shitty haptics, and those LIN messages probably won't change often, if ever.
Ok cool! Again it was rumored (don’t remember who) but glad it didn’t break

Haven’t heard of anybody doing it, but at least some implementation should be possible; the S 3 X Y buttons, for example, have shown that they can at least initiate turn signals with custom controls. I’m not sure if somebody can do the full clockspring-reset mechanism, but I know I’m keeping an eye out.

Additionally, now that Lucid has announced a car faster than the Plaid, maybe Tesla might decide to offer more options on the Plaid in order to keep it relevant, like decent blinkers?

Reactions: lzolman
Well, after almost a year I still hate the damned directional (and brights) buttons.
Would LOVE to be able to buy a stalk retrofit just for the left stalk.
Anyone know of anybody offering such a thing yet?
I've been harassing Electrified Garage about it, no joy.
I agree, the turn signals are the single most annoying element of new design. Horn is up there, but not used that often. I would prefer a stalk for shifting too, but am indifferent.

Reactions: kaamaan and lzolman
I agree, the turn signals are the single most annoying element of new design. Horn is up there, but not used that often. I would prefer a stalk for shifting too, but am indifferent.
Yeah, both would be better, but the left set represents 95% of the pain. The last thing I want to be spending seconds and seconds on in the middle of manic traffic is finding the button and pressing it the correct way. I honestly believe the directional buttons are a safety hazard. For my own safety, I want a stalk.

Yeah, both would be better, but the left set represents 95% of the pain. The last thing I want to be spending seconds and seconds on in the middle of manic traffic is finding the button and pressing it the correct way. I honestly believe the directional buttons are a safety hazard. For my own safety, I want a stalk.
What's really true, of course, is that this would be not only for my own safety but for the safety of everyone driving near me.

What's really true, of course, is that this would be not only for my own safety but for the safety of everyone driving near me.
I really hope someone produces the solution for everyone. Tesla designers are just small iChildren without real driving experience that has been proven many times (no door pockets, no center console, incredibly ugly Model S black nose, stolen Porsche front design and creating into a frog Model 3,Y, stolen Audi tail design, incredibly poor V11 non ergonomic design etc etc etc).

It's really time to sell your car back directly to Tesla to let them know people hate their iDumb approach and buy Model Y instead. If they remove stalks from M3, Y there could be even a decline in sales. I'd never buy a car without round wheel and without stalks, TM3P works so greatly now for me, it's a paradise to drive it! But I'd never buy a Tesla again, just some older second hand model with stalks.

But if anyone creates a mass production solution he'd become a really rich person for sure because of this iDumbness Tesla approach, especially if that bunch of iDumb "designers" (Tesla drag engineers are great of course, just replace the head "designer" ASAP!) remove stalks from M3,Y. Just do it! :)

Last edited:
I have a teenage son who recently got his license. I let him drive the other evening. Anyone who thinks that the removal of stalks is a good thing should try seeing how this works out. It was a terrifying experience, and I don't blame him. Merging onto a freeway while holding a yolk and trying to push that f**ing turn signal button was awful.
Good thing he didn't need to ever use the horn either. What an ergonomic safety hazard, and self-induced Tesla stupidity/nightmare.

Hey Elon: were coming in on almost a FULL YEAR since you Tweeted that pressing the center hub/airbag would actuate the friggin' horn.

WHERE IS THAT FUNCTION?!?

Good thing he didn't need to ever use the horn either. What an ergonomic safety hazard, and self-induced Tesla stupidity/nightmare.

Hey Elon: were coming in on almost a FULL YEAR since you Tweeted that pressing the center hub/airbag would actuate the friggin' horn.

WHERE IS THAT FUNCTION?!?
1) Everything about the new controls is absolute garbage.

2) There is no center airbag horn switch. Elon is an unrepentant liar. (Much evidence of this is on Twitter, ironically.)

2) There is no center airbag horn switch. Elon is an unrepentant liar. (Much evidence of this is on Twitter, ironically.)
An outright lie. How is this differernt than Elizabeth Holmes or Trevor Milton? I'll answer that for you, in those cases the shareholders were "hurt". Here the lie about the center horn may actually hurt the product owner if the shyyt horn button is missed when hunting for the button in an emergency. But the law apparently protects share holders more than actual owners of the product.

It's so sad, I went from being a fan to thinking EVERYTHING technoking says is a lie. Any bets on if a semi is delivered to Pepsi by Dec 1? My money is on nope.

Last edited:
An outright lie. How is this differernt than Elizabeth Holmes or Trevor Milton? I'll answer that for you, in those cases the shareholders were "hurt". Here the lie about the center horn may actually hurt the product owner if the shyyt horn button is missed when hunting for the button in an emergency. But the law apparently protects share holders more than actual owners of the product.

It's so sad, I went from being a fan to thinking EVERYTHING technoking says is a lie. Any bets on if a semi is delivered to Pepsi by Dec 1? My money is on nope.
This was a hardware (and then software change) afaik. Are you suggesting that there are new cars without the hardware change? For the rest of us with older cars we are supposed to be able to palm the buttons on the right to activate the horn (which isn't as good.) We replaced our wheel and added stalks with a 'alpha/beta' version of Ryan's solution so I can't test myself!

Haven’t heard of anybody doing it, but at least some implementation should be possible; the S 3 X Y buttons, for example, have shown that they can at least initiate turn signals with custom controls. I’m not sure if somebody can do the full clockspring-reset mechanism, but I know I’m keeping an eye out.

Additionally, now that Lucid has announced a car faster than the Plaid, maybe Tesla might decide to offer more options on the Plaid in order to keep it relevant, like decent blinkers?
Where would you stick the turn signal s3xy button(s)?

This was a hardware (and then software change) afaik. Are you suggesting that there are new cars without the hardware change? For the rest of us with older cars we are supposed to be able to palm the buttons on the right to activate the horn (which isn't as good.) We replaced our wheel and added stalks with a 'alpha/beta' version of Ryan's solution so I can't test myself!
I have torn apart my yoke (when I replaced it with a Hansshow wheel) and I did not see any sort of sensor or mechanism to detect pressure on the airbag. My car was built after Elon claimed that hardware was there (he said all cars since November, 2021 and my car was built in March, 2022) and that they were just waiting on software. The software should be trivial - if sensor is pressed then send CAN bus message for horn. I know Tesla sucks at software but it's been a year now!

I have not tried it for a few software revisions but a while back I was not able to get the "palm horn" to work. I just got the wipers and voice command activation. I should try it again.

Reactions: FirstInTown