Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Working at SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there!

I tried to use the search for that topic but haven't found any thread, so I hope that's no double post. Anyway I'm currently a 'little' apprentice to become a technical product designer (here in Germany), I guess it's helpful for you to know it's about creating and engineering with CAD files - so far so good, I don't what to do an CV right here, just a little description about myself.
Well, I'm quite interested in aerospace and currently I'm in automobile engineering but this isn't comparable at all to the inspiring work what SpaceX performs, so it inspires me a lot to work one day for such a company and I've checked their career pages and wondered about the last point in each jod ad: the: ITAR Requirements. I tried to get some information at this page (US State Department, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls) but it's pretty cryptic to me.
So not even the consulate could give me an answer and I'd like to ask if anyone here has an idea if Europeans are allowed to apply to such comapnies or not due to that regulations.

Thanks a lot and cheers!
Elmar

Reactions: replicant
Basically SpaceX makes rockets and they are considered as possible weapons. So a certain level of clearance is needed to work on them.

I'd apply and let SpaceX tell you what you need to do to get clearance. This is something they have to deal with regularly so it is probably normal for them to tell you the process.

Hi there!

I tried to use the search for that topic but haven't found any thread, so I hope that's no double post. Anyway I'm currently a 'little' apprentice to become a technical product designer (here in Germany), I guess it's helpful for you to know it's about creating and engineering with CAD files - so far so good, I don't what to do an CV right here, just a little description about myself.
Well, I'm quite interested in aerospace and currently I'm in automobile engineering but this isn't comparable at all to the inspiring work what SpaceX performs, so it inspires me a lot to work one day for such a company and I've checked their career pages and wondered about the last point in each jod ad: the: ITAR Requirements. I tried to get some information at this page (US State Department, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls) but it's pretty cryptic to me.
So not even the consulate could give me an answer and I'd like to ask if anyone here has an idea if Europeans are allowed to apply to such comapnies or not due to that regulations.

Thanks a lot and cheers!
Elmar
I work in the aerospace industry and unless you are buying something from a US company, ITAR doesn't concern you. I'm not positive, but I think ITAR is so an aerospace (or any US company) can't sell weapons to a foreign company unless the US government says so.

As for working in the aerospace industry, as long as you get a visa you can get a job. There is that catch-22 where it will be hard for you to get a job unless you have a visa. You probably also won't be able to work on any classified jobs and you will have a different badge then everyone else saying you are not a US citizen. Since you aren't a US citizen you might not be working on a project that you consider to be "interesting", but you can always apply and see what you get.

I've applied to SpaceX (through their website), but never got a call back. I did want to rescind my application after talking to my friend who works at SpaceX, but they never called back so it didn't matter.

On a recent tour of SpaceX, I was told to bring proof of US citizenship along. It was checked at the reception desk. I had the feeling, though could be wrong, that I wouldn't be able to tour the facility otherwise.

Based on that small data point, I'd say there are a few more hurdles for you to get a job there. Good luck!