Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Working for Tesla Motors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new here, in fact this is my first post, as I didn't find an "Introductions" topic. I'm done working, would still consult. I have read the need for passion aspect of this thread with a lot of interest. I joined the ranks of EV hobbyists 11 years ago after a rather distasteful working experience in the oil industry. I now have (3) EVs, but still have ICE hot rods too. My name is Bob, and I DO have a passion for EVs.

Hello and welcome, Bob. There is no appropriate "intro" section. I recommend reading *lots* of threads to get the unwritten rules of this Forum. Also, there is no better sub-forum to introduce your self than "Off Topic" is. You could post a few pictures of your EVs as follow-up to your "can't log into profile" thread.

Again, welcome.

Volker

The man to see about a job at Tesla

But landing a job at Tesla is not easy -- it's looking for the best of the best.

"Do you question tradition and constantly think of ways to improve status quo? Do you thrive in environments where brilliance is common and challenge is the norm?" its website asks. "Are you excited by challenge because you're among the best in your field? If so, you'd be in good company at Tesla Motors."

"We're looking for people who are proactive. We want people who are go-getters," he said. "When you were in between jobs did you go back to school, pursue a favorite hobby or volunteer? Whatever hand you were dealt, are you emerging better?"

Larry

I'm not an EE but found this thread quite insightful, thank you to all those in the tech sector hiring field that added their opinions on this...this is very relevant to my interests.

In the blue collar realm it still seems quite competitive to get into the service side of Tesla as well. I dream of fixing these cars on a daily basis but don't know if my CV and interview skills can meet (http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_19501138?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com, thanks for the link above) his criteria, my work experience and credentials are spot on and I think I would fit in with the company very well.

I would like to think that participating in work skill type activities has to show a passion for what you do if it is a field were your skills can benefit others or improve your processes and possible client interactions. I volunteer moderate over at a car forum for the brand I am a technician for, mainly because I am passionate about what I do and have an odd skill that can help people. There has to be a line between crazy fanboy and coach potato with a laptop. In my free time I'm an avid cyclist, amateur photographer,do some charity work, and now am in training for a triathlon, I own quite a full calender (which my garden hates) but still spend several hours a week reading and participating in work skill type things for fun.

In real life I am not much the risk taker (professionally) but I legitimately believe in the product this company is making and their business strategy. I would be tempted to drive almost two hours (6 miles) into the city to work for them. My current commute takes 5 minutes on a bad day.

Sounds like you need to move closer to the Tesla Service Center in VA :wink:

How's your hybrid training/skills? They will likely be looking for more technicians just before they start delivering the Model S. Polish up your resume and e-mail it to the store's service manager along with a digital scan of your Master ASE certificate, A/C handling certificate, Master status for whatever brand you're working for, driver's license, and two year automotive degree certificate if you have it.

You have to be ok with traveling, customer interaction, and possibly being away from home for a few days at a time while servicing cars.

In real life I am not much the risk taker (professionally) but I legitimately believe in the product this company is making and their business strategy. I would be tempted to drive almost two hours (6 miles) into the city to work for them. My current commute takes 5 minutes on a bad day.
You definitely sound like someone who would be a great fit at Tesla. All of the Tesla Rangers I've met have been great at what they do and nice people as well. Best of luck to you.

I dream of fixing these cars on a daily basis
Hopefully, most days you'll spend staring at the empty bays, despite tens of thousands of Teslas on the streets of Virginia. I had a flashback to the Maytag repairman:
Maytag_repairman.jpg

Sounds like you need to move closer to the Tesla Service Center in VA :wink:

How's your hybrid training/skills? They will likely be looking for more technicians just before they start delivering the Model S. Polish up your resume and e-mail it to the store's service manager along with a digital scan of your Master ASE certificate, A/C handling certificate, Master status for whatever brand you're working for, driver's license, and two year automotive degree certificate if you have it.

You have to be ok with traveling, customer interaction, and possibly being away from home for a few days at a time while servicing cars.

The closest and only store near VA currently the one on K street in DC (http://www.teslamotors.com/buy/stores). But I am not sure that will be the only facility as that section of the city is not well suited for a service center they would need five or so years down the road when they control a bit more market share. The mid sized niche market shop is where I really enjoy working but I know many old techs who helped launch Infiniti back in 1989-90, it is one of those opportunities that only come by a few times in ones career (especially if the company thrives) and that is something I would be interested in. Working in a shop that supports a few hundred vehicles on the road might get a little quiet but if you are not commissioned employees (as technicians are) you could probably survive the lulls.

Keeping track of credentials is quite easy now, ASE has made it very easy to prove your credentials with their new website and database access ensures honesty. The corporate portal has a technician history print out that shows every course and certification ever completed (mine is 8 years old and something like 15 pages). Traveling doesn't really tickle my fancy but that is what it takes to set a new company apart a sea of sameness in the luxury market so it shall be. The customer interaction would be fun, I actually enjoy teaching tech to people (bluetooth can fool some really smart people) and a surprising number of people still do not read the manual.

One of the differences between other brands and Tesla is the fact the stores are all company owned so hiring is through their main office. I'm not sure that digging up the contact info of the people at my local office would be the proper way to go about it.

You definitely sound like someone who would be a great fit at Tesla. All of the Tesla Rangers I've met have been great at what they do and nice people as well. Best of luck to you.

Thanks, if the community here is even a small representation of the owners I would enjoy work. I know many of my clients very well, with a smaller brand than I am sure you get to know almost everyone.

Hopefully, most days you'll spend staring at the empty bays, despite tens of thousands of Teslas on the streets of Virginia. I had a flashback to the Maytag repairman:

Ha, I like that. I'm pretty sure you are right. Less moving parts just has to be a good situation. Although children can wreak havoc on the interior or new cars plus first year jitters coupled with the initial batch of large scale production in a new plant typically means there will be a few growing pains. Days there should be filled meeting new customers, maybe programming a phone or two to a car.

I would have to assume that to help keep the lights on at first they might have to sell some used cars that will require some inspection and minor reconditioning which might keep a tech or two busy in the down time. There will be pre delivery inspections and (sorry to say) some collision related repairs, as no techs in the outside would have experience working with these cars and many of my colleagues are not interested in working on HV systems.

Thanks and please excuse the thread jacking.

Working in a shop that supports a few hundred vehicles on the road might get a little quiet but if you are not commissioned employees (as technicians are) you could probably survive the lulls.

I don't know for sure, but I think all Tesla Technicians are paid by the hour. They are not flat rate like most dealership and independant shop Technicians.

Keeping track of credentials is quite easy now, ASE has made it very easy to prove your credentials with their new website and database access ensures honesty. The corporate portal has a technician history print out that shows every course and certification ever completed (mine is 8 years old and something like 15 pages).

Yes, ASE has done a nice job with their online interface. However, rather than making a very busy Tesla Service Manager look up your credentials through the ASE website I would suggest scanning your most recent ASE certificate and sending an image file with your resume and the other scanned images that I mentioned to his/her e-mail address. My personal ASE Certification history dates back 6 years and 17 pages if you include the score report for each test.

One of the differences between other brands and Tesla is the fact the stores are all company owned so hiring is through their main office. I'm not sure that digging up the contact info of the people at my local office would be the proper way to go about it.

Contacting the Service Manager at your local Tesla dealer would definately be the proper way to go about it. They will interview you face to face before they hire you and start working with you on a daily basis. The headquarters in California don't have much to do with hiring Technicians in Virginia

I would have to assume that to help keep the lights on at first they might have to sell some used cars that will require some inspection and minor reconditioning which might keep a tech or two busy in the down time. There will be pre delivery inspections and (sorry to say) some collision related repairs, as no techs in the outside would have experience working with these cars and many of my colleagues are not interested in working on HV systems.

I've been wondering about trade-ins as well. I don't know if Tesla takes vehicles on trade. As far as I know they're only set up to service electric vehicles. Your last comment about HV systems brings me back to my original question: How's your hybrid training/skills? The more experience the better. If you don't have any, you could still get hired. I hear they send you to California for a few weeks of training before you touch a customer car.

I don't know for sure, but I think all Tesla Technicians are paid by the hour. They are not flat rate like most dealership and independant shop Technicians.
I would think that even if they were to plan on going flat rate they would have to start paying salary. They would loose all of their techs if they were to go about it any other way. One of the plans from Tesla which is a big check mark in the win category in my opinion is that all the store fronts will be company owned and operated, unlike a traditional dealership which is either owned by an individual or group. Theoretically that should create a much more standard product when you walk into a dealership anywhere in the country/world. That is my biggest gripe about the auto service industry.

Yes, ASE has done a nice job with their online interface. However, rather than making a very busy Tesla Service Manager look up your credentials through the ASE website I would suggest scanning your most recent ASE certificate and sending an image file with your resume and the other scanned images that I mentioned to his/her e-mail address. My personal ASE Certification history dates back 6 years and 17 pages if you include the score report for each test.
That's some nice sounding credentials. I wonder how relevant ASEs are to Tesla though since there is no EV or HEV certification, they have no transmission like the ones tested by ASE. I hold current Infiniti Master level hybrid certification and I have "sat in" on 90% of the Leaf training but am unable to be certified since I do not work at for a Nissan dealer. My HEV experience is pretty limited as we have had great luck with the first batch of hybrids.
I was thinking the overall credentials I have worked years to develop would matter less when working with a completely different vehicle than would a complete list of references and client resolution skills. Although my record and CSI scores are almost always above the national average I have little idea what the ideal candidate would hold as far as credentials.

Contacting the Service Manager at your local Tesla dealer would definately be the proper way to go about it. They will interview you face to face before they hire you and start working with you on a daily basis. The headquarters in California don't have much to do with hiring Technicians in Virginia
You would think that...I have been following the Tesla hiring site and it seems that every job ever listed in the stores goes through the company site. They hired a DC area store manager, service manager and shop foreman last year through the listing there. They also had a listing for a part time front desk clerk so it seems to cover a broad spectrum. One of the items that struck me as a foothold was the comment in the article about Arnon Geshuri the comment about hiring through referral so pursuing the local employees seem like a good idea. The site was how I managed to get (and subsequently blow :mad:) a phone interview with one of their head recruiting agents from HQ for the DC shop foreman position...That position was made for me...I didn't have enough experience in a leadership role (stupid small dealer not having a foreman). Oh well I check the site bi weekly and just cross my fingers I get another chance. I'm going to try adding a little recon though. Also Tesla has been posting many of their openings on their FB page.

I was very displeased to learn they were bringing the beta model s to DC while I was out of the country on the one vacation I take annually :(

I've been wondering about trade-ins as well. I don't know if Tesla takes vehicles on trade. As far as I know they're only set up to service electric vehicles. Your last comment about HV systems brings me back to my original question: How's your hybrid training/skills? The more experience the better. If you don't have any, you could still get hired. I hear they send you to California for a few weeks of training before you touch a customer car.
If they are keeping the boutique level service facility as a primary point of operation then I do not see much need for the infrastructure needed for servicing ICE vehicles although they would still need waste fluid removal and tire equipment to service EVs.
I have a ton of book experience on Nissans EV and HEV setup although that will actually do very little in another brand. The battery technology and runnin gear are similar but very different. I feel like the redundant safety feature might be similar and personal protection equipment requirements will be similar since the voltage is similar. I have a lot more low voltage experience working on the ancillary system that make the creature comforts work. Working with the tech package items and that massive AV system from the backend will require more time learning that how to rebuilt a drivetrain in one of these, especially when it comes to answering owner questions.

Bring your company to Tennessee, we have GM, Volkswagen, and Nissan, Volkswagen is coming out with a diesel electric next year I think, the only reason we haven't moved to Freemont is the cost of living out there, if you guys win the fight with the major car dealers come on down here to Tennessee and build your cars.

I have my own business, but am secretly tempted to work for Elon. Because I want to build the future.

Computer Engineer by trade. Taped out a chip.
Spent my free time on lots of personal projects. Building furnitures, designed a minimalist wallet, made a 2d shooter game. house rennovation. path tracking robot with object avoidance. Cutting steel with plasma and laser.

But honestly when thinking about each job individually at TSLA, none of them interest me because they are probably like any other job in a car manufacturer. Space X is probably more suitable. But I am no physicist.

I have my own business, but am secretly tempted to work for Elon. Because I want to build the future.

Computer Engineer by trade. Taped out a chip.
Spent my free time on lots of personal projects. Building furnitures, designed a minimalist wallet, made a 2d shooter game. house rennovation. path tracking robot with object avoidance. Cutting steel with plasma and laser.

But honestly when thinking about each job individually at TSLA, none of them interest me because they are probably like any other job in a car manufacturer. Space X is probably more suitable. But I am no physicist.

Perhaps, although the "asset lite" position in Minneapolis sounds like an interesting position. Not sure if it fits with what you are looking for. It definitely has the 'shaping the future' aspect to it.

Hi everyone,
It's been some time that I've been following TESLA Motors development, but only since recently that I've decided it's the place for me.
Whilst I have no direct experience in the auto industry, I trust my professional experience in the Aerospace Industry and overall international profile will be of interest.
I truly cannot think of another company I would rather work in, and through which feel part of something big making a real difference!

Here a link to my profile, any and all advise most welcomed: es.linkedin.com/pub/francisco-javier-fernández-plaza/4/8a/11/

Best regards,
Javier
@TeslaJive

Last edited:

I don't know about the right way to go about it, but in addition to the showroom in DC, there is a service center in Rockville MD. Good experience at Rockville Service Center