Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Working From Home - Charging During COVID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yoona

NEWBIE Trader
May 3, 2017
Canada
Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseam in other posts - i didn't check.

If everyone is just working from home nowadays, is it still "good" to charge overnight 90% ?

Or is it better to let it drop to 20% and refill once a week?

I take it out for a joyride spin around the block maybe 1-2x a week.

I know there is daily phantom loss due to camera/battery management/etc, but it's too small.

Thank you

I used to leave my car at 50% while working from home, but now I charge to 75%. True, I don't need the range most of the time, but the car does not have the same amount of pep while at lower SoC. If I am planning some errands, I will sometimes charge to 90% right before leaving so the car has a bit more voltage. It's probably still fine to keep it at 90% but the coolant pumps are annoying to listen to in the garage. Leaving the max charge at 75% prevents them from running. I leave the car plugged in all the time while at home.

I used to leave my car at 50% while working from home, but now I charge to 75%. True, I don't need the range most of the time, but the car does not have the same amount of pep while at lower SoC. If I am planning some errands, I will sometimes charge to 90% right before leaving so the car has a bit more voltage. It's probably still fine to keep it at 90% but the coolant pumps are annoying to listen to in the garage. Leaving the max charge at 75% prevents them from running. I leave the car plugged in all the time while at home.
Ditto about the pumps. My scheduled charging is at midnight, and I find they run after plugging in around 75% or higher. Now that I set my charge level to 80% (and I'm almost always below 75% when plugging in at night) - no more noise.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
That is a good data point about the pumps not running at 80%. Perhaps they run at the end of the charge, but after a while they turn off? I wouldn't mind having 80% be my standard, though I don't use scheduled charging right now. With the limit at 75% they never run.

I leave my car plugged in and let it maintain itself at 70%. On my 75D that gets me 169 miles which is more then enough for whatever random place I may need to go. Pre-Covid I would charge daily to 80% daily.

it’s my understanding that it’s best to leave the car plugged in at a lower SoC (60% or 70%) if you’re not using it.

Leave it plugged in and you can forget it. Leave it unplugged and you can keep checking it all the time. Depending on your vampire drain, leaving it plugged in is likely to result in the car actually charging once every 3-7 days. If you are really worried about the battery, set the charge limit to 50% when you aren't using it.

Ditto about the pumps. My scheduled charging is at midnight, and I find they run after plugging in around 75% or higher. Now that I set my charge level to 80% (and I'm almost always below 75% when plugging in at night) - no more noise.

So I have to recant my story. Installed 24.6.11, and now ANYTIME the vehicle is above 75%, the pumps are running. This includes when charging, after charging has finished, and even while the vehicle and HVAC are operating (realized this after hearing them over my AC as I was sitting in a drive-thru line).