Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Working on Autopilot v2 hardware suite - Confirmation by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if they're not retrofittable, I don't think I'd bother updating to APv3 Hardware until the Software was up to scratch.

For me, going from my 2013 P85 without AP, to a 2014 P85D with AP, was just a whole lot of waiting, but realistically, I wanted the Adaptive Cruise most of all.

Now that we have the Autosteer, etc, I'm sure they'll release AP Hardware v3, with features trickling out via software, and even if it isn't retrofittable, its really not a necessity (imho)

It's also a shame that people who waited and buy AP v2 cars would be screwed when AP v3 comes out. Buy the car if it best suits you needs and not if it doesn't. Out-smarting yourself never does one any good.

I agree as well. Just to point it out; I'm not very eager to wait until APv2 is released to get the Model X. The original question was more of a mind thought and a general question. I've waited too long for it and I'm surely getting it asap! That said, I would get quite annoyed if I took delivery and within half a year the APv2 is out. But as you said, that goes for future releases as well. Timing is everything, but sometimes you just have to jump and hope for the best. Like I said in the first post, the current APv1 gives me everything I need for the time being. And it gets more and more updates that are pretty cool.

this will be released first in the Model S when they refresh the front end to match the X. That will only happen when/if Model S sales start falling. Otherwise expect to see the new sensor suite premiere simultaneously in all 3 cars S3X at the end of 2017

One consolation is that Tesla has announced that at the time of production, they build the best, most advanced vehicle possible. They have already been shown to automatically upgrade newer version cars when a technology is available, so if it takes 6 months to build your vehicle, you will likely get the latest sensors they have available then, not necessarily what they put in the first production versions now.

It's an easier decision for me, as this is my first EV, but even if the "autonomous driving package" is put into Tesla as of, say, 2017 Q1 production vehicles, there's also the chance that we wouldn't be able to use it until law changes in 2020 (as an example).

Btw, a cool thing with v7.1 and the current hardware, is that it appears to "see" this cyclist and slows down before passing it and then speeds up again. (YouTube)
Does anyone else fell like the dude (yes, I'm sure it's a dude) is going a bit fast for such a narrow road with so many driveways? Or am I just gettting old and crotchety? ;-)

Last edited:
I totally agree! I'm also hoping that they learned their lesson but not holding my breath on this one... Maybe we should start a petition to be sure that we get their attention as early as possible.
Yes I agree. They should stop producing any cars until the final version in 2020 comes out so no one will have a car behind the tech curve....but wait 2021 car is improved. Just stop selling any cars so everyone doesn't feel left out

i took delivery of my car in March 2013. They came out with rear seat heaters then parking sensors. Felt bothered by that for a month. I have and continued to enjoy my "antique" car. Would not have waited longer for the current version nor even longer for the next version. You buy it for what they offer now. I remember buying more tha 25 computers over the years always paying more to "expand" the computer for future improvements. I was never able to Avoid buying the new one because the old couldn't be modified enough. When the new version justifies the money it will cost you to replace then do it.

This is one of the major reasons I chose to lease. I'm fairly certain that there will be major advances (autopilot, larger battery, faster charging, etc.) in the next 3 years, which could significantly devalue the early MX's. With the lease, I can walk away after 3 years and lease or buy a new one in 2019. If my prediction does not pan out, I always have the option to buy mine at the end of the lease and it cost me very little more than if I had bought from the start. Since I don't put a lot of mileage on my cars any more (12K/yr) leasing works for me. It's not advantageous for everyone, but it is for me.

I wonder if they learnt their lesson and made it retrofittable this time. Model X especially Signature owners are gonna be really pissed that they waited 4 years for a car that was obsoleted in 6 months

I wouldn't count on it. I was told that just the plain old parking sensors would be retrofitted to my early production Model S, and it was even suggested to me that it might be "free" as in included with my Service Plan purchase. Never happened.