Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WORKING SUPERCHARGERS IN FLORIDA? PLEASE POST HERE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SarasotaModelS

2017 Model X P100D Ludicrous AP3.0, FSD, MCU2
Mar 22, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
My family and I evacuated Florida for the hurricane. We would like to make our way back to Florida but we have no way of knowing if the Superchargers in Florida are active and working. Let's start a thread to spread the info of which ones are working.

Why can't Tesla put an icon on a) their website to indicate the entire charger is offline and b) say so on our maps in the car?
Just 'cause it says 0 of the stalls are in use ... doesn't mean diddly at times like these.

They do update the map in the car:
21558861_10155673892378209_1635033783433034075_n.jpg

(Posted by an owner on Facebook)

Just because a location is not in communication with tesla does not necessarily mean that a SpC in non functional, what is important to know is if the location has power which can be done searching the FPL or other utility websites
fwiw it would be wise to delay your return until there is power along your journey

Don't the cars verify information with Tesla as to whether a particular Vin can charge or if that car needs to be billed? If the SC has no communication with Tesla wouldn't it fail to operate regardless of whether or not it has power?

My family and I evacuated Florida for the hurricane. We would like to make our way back to Florida but we have no way of knowing if the Superchargers in Florida are active and working. Let's start a thread to spread the info of which ones are working.
The car's navigation system is the most convenient means of determining whether the Supercharger Station is available. Just zoom to the location of interest and select the icon for detailed status information. In most cases it will explicitly state "Temporary Closure" if it is not operational.

In some cases when you select the Supercharge icon on your navigation display it will not provide meaningful information. In such cases, call Tesla's Roadside Assistance at 877-79-TESLA.

By the way, if you are interested in joining a Florida Tesla club, please click on the link to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts in my signature.

Larry

Don't the cars verify information with Tesla as to whether a particular Vin can charge or if that car needs to be billed? If the SC has no communication with Tesla wouldn't it fail to operate regardless of whether or not it has power?
The entitlement is stored with the car. There is also likely also a deny list that is stored locally but updated over the network. Even if the system checks in real-time, I'd be willing to bet it "fails closed" and allows the charge.

The entitlement is stored with the car. There is also likely also a deny list that is stored locally but updated over the network. Even if the system checks in real-time, I'd be willing to bet it "fails closed" and allows the charge.
If it goes ahead and allows the charge when it can't verify status, that sounds more like "fail open" behavior.

Just because a location is not in communication with tesla does not necessarily mean that a SpC in non functional, what is important to know is if the location has power which can be done searching the FPL or other utility websites
fwiw it would be wise to delay your return until there is power along your journey

It's worth noting that restaurants with power can't prepare/serve food by law if they don't also have working water/plumbing in addition to electricity. It'd be a good feel for the area to call a restaurant on your intended path to see if they are open for business. You might get someone willing to give you specifics if they know it while checking on the restaurant.

Apps like the chick-fil-a one will tell you if a store is closed wouldn't hurt to use any apps you already have on your phone to check and see if they'll take an online order. Might save you some phone calls if you prefer the digital method.

Be careful with that built in navigation. It just routed me to a dead charger in lake city. Fortunately I was able to roll into a parking garage in Gainesville with a level 2 charger

Yes, we need to be careful to view any warnings before selecting the navigate to button. As I recall the Lake City Supercharger has be registering either Temporary Closure or Reduce Service for about 24 hours. When this happens the navigation icon shows a warning with the circle with the line through it as shown in posting #6. If you ignore the warning symbol and hit the navigate to button the car will provide turn-by-turn directions to a Supercharger Station that is not operational or partially operational.

Larry

Last edited:
Based on the Tesla online navigation system in the cars, here is the current status:

Tallahassee...................... Operational
Port Orange .....................Operational
Port St. Lucie ...................Operational
Ocala................................Operational
Brandon ...........................Operational
Pinellas Park ....................Operational
Sarasota ...........................Operational
Plantation .........................Operational
West Palm Beach .............Operational

Live Oak ...........................Temporary Closure
Lake City ..........................Reduced Service
St. Augustine ....................Temporary Closure
Turkey Lake.......................Temporary Closure
Fort Drumm........................Temporary Closure
Florida City ........................Temporary Closure
Ft Myers ............................Temporary Closure
Naples ...............................Reduced Service
Marathon ...........................Temporary Closure

DeFuniak Springs ..............Not reporting status

Updated at 2:25 pm 9/12/17

Larry

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just as a suggestion, this thread should also mention the status of superchargers in Georgia and South Carolina as well, as there were also many outages in those places.

For example, I would assume Kingsland, GA is another one which might be out of service (I haven't checked and don't know for certain), and may be important for people returning.

Based on the Tesla online navigation system in the cars, here is the current status:

Tallahassee...................... Operational
Port Orange .....................Operational
Port St. Lucie ...................Operational
Ocala................................Operational
Brandon ...........................Operational
Pinellas Park ....................Operational
Sarasota ...........................Operational
Plantation .........................Operational
West Palm Beach .............Operational
Naples ...............................Operational

Live Oak ...........................Temporary Closure
Lake City ..........................Reduced Service