TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Working under car

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by utch, May 1, 2018.

1. utch

utch Member

I don’t have a lift and don’t want to work under a car on floor jacks. What do folks do to access the underside?

2. bayarea_joe

bayarea_joe Member

Dig a 6ft deep hole?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Random thoughts from a non-Roaster owner.

Could you use low profile ramp stands or possibly a car hauler trailer (U-Haul rental)?
    Other than that, you need to jack it up and rest it on jack stands. Or jack it up, then place suitably sturdy boards under the wheels and rest it on those...

4. Oricle

Oricle Member

Ive used ramps to get under the car for suspension adjustments (they need to be pretty low profile to clear the front bumper), or a jack and jack stands if you need to remove the wheels.

5. utch

utch Member

What's the best placement for jack stands?

6. Oricle

Oricle Member

There are stickers on the bottom of the frame that tell you where its safe to lift and place jack stands

[​IMG]

7. utch

utch Member

Once raised with the jack on the jack-point, I don't see where to place the jack-stand since
    the jack occupies the safe jack-point. Can you clarify?

8. Oricle

Oricle Member

I place the jack and stands near the sticker on the same structural member (jack at the 6 o'clock position, and stand at 3 o'clock, for example) and haven't had any issues. Make sure you give the car a good shake when its on the stands before you get underneath, since the majority of the vehicles weight is over the rear, it can make sitting it on stands a little tricky.

9. utch

utch Member

Thanks!

10. tvuolo

tvuolo Supporting Member

I have some Rhino Ramps that I use with some old shelf boards (to make the angle less steep). Works great and super fast.

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I too normally use ramps, just a basic pair from Advanced or O'Reily's