Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Working USB Hub for glovebox ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What USB hub are people using in the glovebox ?

I'm trying to connect the
  1. Tesla Dashcam USB Drive
  2. A 8BitDo wireless usb adapter (to wirelessly connect to a ps4 controller)

I tried this one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Premium-Aluminum-Rotatable-HB-R3MB/dp/B07PH2WXKT/ and it doesn't work with both devices connected and when the dashcam is actively recording to the USB. The 8BitDo wireless adapter starts randomly disconnecting, it's like there isn't enough power.

If I test with just the 8BitDo wireless adapter on it's own then it works fine, and I can use the controller wirelessly. Similarly if I use just the tesla dashcam usb stick it works fine too. But it's just when I connect both devices and it's actively recording to the usb that I get issues, and the controller stops working correctly and randomly disconnects, it also starts lagging when it does work for a few seconds

Any ideas? I feel like someone must have this setup working

P.S I need to use glovebox usb as that is the only data enabled port in my tesla.

USB-A ports don’t provide much power. It’s possible that port doesn’t even provide 5V/2A, given it was intended to be just for the sentry USB.

A passive hub isn’t going to create its own power, so if recording to the USB stick (or SSD or whatever) consumes too much power everything else is going to suffer.

Perhaps an active 12v USB hub would work?

P.S I need to use glovebox usb as that is the only data enabled port in my tesla.
Not directly answering what you asked, but you can add data to the centre console usb ports for £65

Thread here:
@QuanTim

No problem sharing at all mate.

Alloy Pedal Covers: Link here although you already have them.

Data Module: Here is the link.

Rear Spoiler: Remarkably cheap to say how good it looks.

Calliper Covers: Out of stock now but you can purchase them elsewhere. I fit them myself and although they were a bit fiddly managed no problem.
Biggest job was taking the wheels off and that isn't too difficult. ;)
View attachment 844458
Edit: Or wait for the rumoured soon to be coming bluetooth controller support…

Reactions: Jono89 and KennethS
For anyone interested I tested various different hubs, and in the end settled on this:
Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 slim data hub - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y25XFGK/

It works the best, is the most stable, and works with the original tesla usb drive, and a 8bitdo wireless controller module (paired with ps4 wireless controller)

I tried various other hubs, and lots of them caused weird inconsistent issues which will drive you mad. Sometimes they work , sometimes you get random error messages, sometimes the controller will be laggy etc.

So if you want to ease any pain get a hub like this. You might think about getting one that looks the best or fits in the most neat way but if it's a random manufacturer they all seem to cause weird issues.

What USB hub are people using in the glovebox ?

I'm trying to connect the
  1. Tesla Dashcam USB Drive
  2. A 8BitDo wireless usb adapter (to wirelessly connect to a ps4 controller)

I tried this one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Premium-Aluminum-Rotatable-HB-R3MB/dp/B07PH2WXKT/ and it doesn't work with both devices connected and when the dashcam is actively recording to the USB. The 8BitDo wireless adapter starts randomly disconnecting, it's like there isn't enough power.

If I test with just the 8BitDo wireless adapter on it's own then it works fine, and I can use the controller wirelessly. Similarly if I use just the tesla dashcam usb stick it works fine too. But it's just when I connect both devices and it's actively recording to the usb that I get issues, and the controller stops working correctly and randomly disconnects, it also starts lagging when it does work for a few seconds

Any ideas? I feel like someone must have this setup working

why is tesla cam recording when you use controller? why dashcam is recording while parked?